Bands, Will They Help the Raw Lifter?

i just got monster mini flex bands, and was planning on using them for benching and squatting, i think they will help me with my sport (track, shotput) in making me have more of a power to accellerate,

But what im also wondering is if they will help my lifts even though i lift raw, my sticking points are in the hole and off the chest so i assumed this would curve to that and help me become more explosive, yes? also what other exercises could i use them for to make them useful? thanks guys

If your weak points were the lockouts than I would say the bands would help. But since you are weak out of the hole and off the chest I don’t see the bands doing much for you.

Think about it, the only give resistance at the top of the movement. You may benefit from the speed work in general though.

Band are not just to train lockout. I wish everyone would get off this bands are for geared lifters crap. Yeah, it’s harder at the top with bands, but without the bands it is easier at the top. Band provide accommodating resistance. Naturally, you are going to want to decelerate the bar as you come out of the hole because your body knows the lift should be getting easier.

Because the bands provided more tension at the top, they teach the body to accelerate through the ENTIRE lift…hence you become more explosive…hence you can push through your sticking points better…hence you can lift more weight. This is the point of accommodating resistance, not to train lockout.

i agree with Pemdas. Bands will make you learn how to lift fast. If you are weak from the chest you need to work your shoulders and lats hard AND increase the speed of the lift.

I have also used to create an almost Plyo effect to some of my exercises. I think it definitely does help with explosiveness whether in the hole or not. If it is helping you recruit type IIb fibers, I am sure it would help with getting you through your sticking points.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Band are not just to train lockout. I wish everyone would get off this bands are for geared lifters crap. Yeah, it’s harder at the top with bands, but without the bands it is easier at the top. Band provide accommodating resistance. Naturally, you are going to want to decelerate the bar as you come out of the hole because your body knows the lift should be getting easier.

Because the bands provided more tension at the top, they teach the body to accelerate through the ENTIRE lift…hence you become more explosive…hence you can push through your sticking points better…hence you can lift more weight. This is the point of accommodating resistance, not to train lockout. [/quote]

So why aren’t people who use the Bowflex great powerlifters? :wink:

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Pemdas wrote:

Because the bands provided more tension at the top, they teach the body to accelerate through the ENTIRE lift…hence you become more explosive…hence you can push through your sticking points better…hence you can lift more weight. This is the point of accommodating resistance, not to train lockout.

So why aren’t people who use the Bowflex great powerlifters? ;)[/quote]

Well for one, I think that machine maxes out at like 400lbs. Two, just because that machine (might…i don’t actually know) accommodate a strength curve doesn’t mean it trains explosiveness. The curve is probably not optimal, plus it doesn’t even make a difference in terms of speed training if the user is not using compensatory acceleration to do the movement and using short rest periods, which I doubt most people that use that machine are doing.

And finally, if it wasn’t completely obvious. There is not movement that you can do on that machine that accurately mimics one of the powerlifts.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Pemdas wrote:

So why aren’t people who use the Bowflex great powerlifters? ;)[/quote]

Actually the resistance curve is supposed to be linear on those.

I was only kidding about the Bowflex… hence the “;)”

For me personally I used to have a sticking point of just off my chest and bands did little to help there. More shoulder and tricep work is what worked best for me.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

For me personally I used to have a sticking point of just off my chest and bands did little to help there. More shoulder and tricep work is what worked best for me.[/quote]

my bad…i missed that…i thought your were serious for a second…that kind of scared me.

If your problem point on your bench is off your chest; yeah bands are gonna help…but what would work BETTER (if you have the $ or the opportunity to use) is chains. Mainly because you can adjust where they come into play. You can make it so at your sticking point they start lifting off the ground.

Another thing to help off your chest; pin presses.

Good luck

Dumbbell work will also help. Floor Press…ect.

Every raw lifter’s sticking point is right off of the chest if the weight is too heavy. Isnt that fucking obvious? There is no “sticking point” if you fail at the start of the concentric action. I could load 700 lbs on the bar and miss it and it wouldnt be because I had a sticking point anywhere.

Depending on how you rig up the bands, you can get tension of varying amounts throughout the entire ROM. They will help teach you to be lift faster as you have to “out run” the bands.

Chains are indeed great, but like you mentioned they can be costly.

At my gym everyone pitched in some money and we bought a few sets. Might be something to look into if you have a couple of training partners.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

For me personally I used to have a sticking point of just off my chest and bands did little to help there. More shoulder and tricep work is what worked best for me.

my bad…i missed that…i thought your were serious for a second…that kind of scared me.

[/quote]

Haha it’s all good man. There’s no way I would think using a Bowflex would turn you into a powerlifter.

i train by myself but i plan on buying chains during the summer when i get a job, also im having trouble rigging them up, today for squats i set them doubled up and looped them through the safety pins on my squat rack, i dont have any dumbells :frowning: any ideas?

I think bands will help, expecially if you normally touch and go. 2 reasons:

1. They’ll make you continually accelerate the bar and get a lot more out of your midrange and lockout.

2. They make you set up better and keep tight. Considerable band tension really punishes you when you don’t do that.

If bands are only providing resistance at the top, you’ve got them on wrong.

Double the bands and you’ll have resistance starting from the bottom.

I can tell you that I wear nothing but a belt and bands have WITH OUT A DOUBT helped all of my lifts. And, I started using them after about 10 years of lifting, so count out beginner gains.

-Steve Morris

[quote]Smorris wrote:
If bands are only providing resistance at the top, you’ve got them on wrong.

Double the bands and you’ll have resistance starting from the bottom.

I can tell you that I wear nothing but a belt and bands have WITH OUT A DOUBT helped all of my lifts. And, I started using them after about 10 years of lifting, so count out beginner gains.

-Steve Morris[/quote]

thnx, yeh i did double them and have no idea how much tension they had but i could only box squat 225x3 with them doubled and i can normally do 315 for 3 so hopefully they are gonna work, im excited to try them on the bench because my bench is just really slow, my 225 attempt looks like my 250+ attempts…

I would get some green(average)bands for squatting and reverse band benching. Maybe even some blues.