Bands that Flew Under the Radar...

Guided By Voices

D Generation

One of my all time favorites from way back. These guys are still touring and still rock!

Nate Denver, he’s done some stuff with MF Grimm. He’s good shit. Not very active though, I don’t think. He’s got an album out there somewhere, it comes with book her wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHY1xCl4Qak

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
They weren’t “under the radar”, but I always felt that LIVE didn’t receive the recognition they deserved.

S[/quote]

They definitely didn’t get the recognition they deserved. Love their stuff. I can listen to their entire collection back to back and not get bored.

Though their 15 minutes of fame did get a good boost with their 9/11 themed music video of “I am Overcome”. Pretty moving stuff at the time.

[quote]challer1 wrote:
Better than Ezra

Couldn’t find the music video for Desperately Wanting[/quote]

Not to forget:

At the Stars

Under You.

Social Distortion.

Audrey Horne

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

Circa Survive is an amazing fucking band, seriously one of my all time favorites. I highly recommend them. And all three of there CD’s are good from start to finish.

Here is there new stuff.

King’s X. They’ve been around almost as long as Van Halen.

At the Drive In.

Unfortunately, they’ll always be tagged with the word “emo”. Which doesn’t mean shit.

They we’re fast, weird and loud. A great combo.

They broke up and formed The Mars Volta and Sparta. Also both under-rated.

Vast

+1 on Helmet and ATDI; also a Perfect Circle and The Shins

Helmet! Yes. Their drummer was in my “dream band” thread. The only knock on them is the lead singer/guitar player had the worst solo’s this side of Neil Young lol, like a cat getting skinned alive.

Kings X…their guitar player has an unmistakable tone, another great Texas trio.

I gotta think on this, these band choice threads are killing me lol.

I saw Iggy and the Stooges in Toronto last saturday night and what a show! The guy is sixty-four and still rips it up. The soundman should get an award for having it sound so perfect too…nothing to do with the thread but I wanted to boast a little :slight_smile:

Sucks that these videos are all white boxes! I’ll have to check them tomorrow after work. I dig these threads a lot and appreciate the posts you all put up.

When I found The White Stripes back in 2001-ish I thought “this is MY band”

Felt kind of bittersweet when they released “Elephant” and things blew up for them and they got massive radio play with 7 Nation Army, etc. There’s no holding Jack back now though.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
Hehe, Sloan werent overlooked in Canada, I think. But elsewhere, yeah. Some of the guys Ill choose are guyd who didnt make it anywhere outside of their countries (US doesnt count).

Pavement:

These guys are insanely popular in the world of indie rock, and indies big now, but in the 90s when they put out their best work, they were overlooked. They had a very accessible if unique sound too, they could have made it big but it just didnt happen. i think they recently released a best of, but I don`t think they reformed–unless it was to tour.
[/quote]

They’ve started playing again recently, and came to Japan in April. Unfortunately I missed it, but I caught them in 1993 in a small club. Good band.

[quote]poophead wrote:
King’s X. They’ve been around almost as long as Van Halen.

[/quote]

I never really thought they were ‘under the radar’ because my (guitar) world revolved around them for quite some time, but, yeah, completely under the radio radar. Huge influence and critically acclaimed, but never really a big commercial success.

In fact, my parents know the drummers parents well (Gaskills) as he’s from my hometown in NJ. I used to do business with his brother. Never met Jerry though.

I read an interview with “Dimebag” Darryl (Pantera) where he said there would be no Pantera if there were no Kings X!

This band was good but overshadowed by the big four grunge bands.