T Nation

Bands that Flew Under the Radar...

What are some bands you like who "flew under the radar"...who didn't get the recognition you think they deserved?

HELMET ("Unsung"...guess they felt the same way!):

TIGER ARMY

SLOAN

CLUTCH

Starflyer 59: shoegazers extraordinaire.

They weren't "under the radar", but I always felt that LIVE didn't receive the recognition they deserved.

S

Anvil

Good call.

Barcelona is one of the most underrated least reviewed bands out there. Their music is so god damned good. Here is the vid that put me on to the group.

Hehe, Sloan werent overlooked in Canada, I think. But elsewhere, yeah. Some of the guys Ill choose are guyd who didnt make it anywhere outside of their countries (US doesnt count).

Pavement:

These guys are insanely popular in the world of indie rock, and indies big now, but in the 90s when they put out their best work, they were overlooked. They had a very accessible if unique sound too, they could have made it big but it just didnt happen. i think they recently released a best of, but I don`t think they reformed--unless it was to tour.

The Libertines:

Up The Bracket is probably my favourite album of the decade, and these guys are one of my favourite bands. They had a GREAT sound that was pretty basic yet fresh sounding. Big in the U.K. though.

Art Brut:

The Verve:

I know these guys had a big hit with Bittersweet Symphony, and the album that was on was great and enjoyable, but the first two albums these guys put out were AMAZING. Some of the best rock I`ve heard. THey were big in the U.K., but I think their first two albums are still sort of overlooked. These two songs are from their first album.

UNSUNG!! THANKS DUDE I'LL CHECK THE REST OUT

All the greats just play at the Baked Potato... this little hole in the wall jazz club in studio city...

Live was pretty k0ol too... Ed

The industry shelves a lot of bands too so I'm sure that there are many greats that are unsung... perhaps for every one good band we know of there are ten that are as good or better...

I've been to that aquarium in real life. Simply amazing...three whale sharks swimming around with room to spare. Seeing it put to that music really takes me back.

In my spike induced clarity (one of the last orange ones preworkout) I looked up the possies but this is what I was looking for

Maybe the verve shouldn't have stolen that song from the rolling stones and made them more money

In my spike induced clarity (one of the last orange ones preworkout) I looked up the possies but this is what I was looking for

Maybe the verve shouldn't have stolen that song from the rolling stones and made them more money

After seeing that vid I put seeing that aquarium in person, on my bucket list.

not to piss in anyones cornflakes but how can you call bands that were featured in top selling video games "unsung". toadies and helmet were both featured in the guitar hero series (and were the songs you posted). sloans album "twice removed" was also reader voted the best canadian album ever recorded by Chart! (canadian music magazine) in 1996.

re-read definition of flying under the radar.

I guess if I wanted to be completely accurate I'd say "Bands which did not achieve the level of success their talent could/should have afforded them". Helmet inspired a whole generation of bands yet seldom gets recognition for it. Sloan was big in Canada, but IMO could have been HUGE worldwide had they been marketed better.

Rose Chronicles:

Won a Juno Award in 1995 for their album Shiver, but disbanded before their next album Happily Ever After was released the following year.

Bang Tango:

Alien Ant Farm:

Massive Attack (anyone who watches "House" should recognize this tune)

I still think The Catherine Wheel got screwed/overlooked due to the blur/oasis conflict.

Better than Ezra

Couldn't find the music video for Desperately Wanting

Stone Roses....

Big in the UK, but didn't really do anything in the states....