T Nation

Bands for Pull Ups

Hi, i want to work my way to doing pull ups.

i was looking at some bands to help me in the beginning. I am not very strong and weigh around 165lbs.

What band do I need?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?SearchPhrase=bands&x=0&y=0&m=SR

It depends how much help you need. If you only want to get one band, I’d get a strongest band you think you might need, then hand increasingly heavier plates around your neck until they cancel the assistance from the band.

As much as I am not a fan of the assisted pull up machine, wouldn’t it be cheaper/easier to use that (assuming your gym has one)? If not, there are a couple of different things you can do (negatives, clusters, etc.) that can help improve your ability.

I assume anyone wanting bands for assisted pullups isn’t doing pullups in a gym. If a gym were available, I’d think this person would be using the assisted pullup machine or the pulldown machine.

[quote]leaftye wrote:
I assume anyone wanting bands for assisted pullups isn’t doing pullups in a gym. If a gym were available, I’d think this person would be using the assisted pullup machine or the pulldown machine.[/quote]

I’ve home gym in which I do have a pulldown machine.Is it enough to get to the first pull up
?

I’ve read somewhere that pulldowns are different to assisted pull ups where you’re using your core in a different way.
Negatives have me sore for 3-4 days. Very hard.

How many times a week should I be trainig for my pull up?

Thanks.

Hey,

Using the bands really helped me to build up strength for pullups I would highly recommend this approach.
The other methods I think are OK but the bands seem to help the most for me.

I just tied one into a circle and threw it over the bar, stood on a chair and hooked the other end over one knee, lowered down and then would do sets of as many as I could.
When I started I could only do 2, then by the end of that week using the bands I could do 5 unassisted.

Good luck!

[quote]RicciR wrote:
Hey,

Using the bands really helped me to build up strength for pullups I would highly recommend this approach.
The other methods I think are OK but the bands seem to help the most for me.

I just tied one into a circle and threw it over the bar, stood on a chair and hooked the other end over one knee, lowered down and then would do sets of as many as I could.
When I started I could only do 2, then by the end of that week using the bands I could do 5 unassisted.

Good luck![/quote]

Sounds good. thanks. what kind of bands were you using?