T Nation

Bands and Bench Press

hey guys, I was just wondering if bands have a deceleration phase while bench pressing. If doing speed bench, with straight weight, at the top theres a deceleration phase, UNLESS it’s thrown. Or if doing ballistic benches on a smith machine with 30% and just totally throwing it up.

So anyways back to the point…I DO NOT want a deceleration phase…so I’m asking if doing bench with bands…does it eliminate the deceleration phase in the bench press? Thanks

Why are you so adamant about not having a deceleration phase?

There is always going to be a deceleration if you lockout. The bar has to stop at some point.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Why are you so adamant about not having a deceleration phase?[/quote]

Well I’ll be going back into muay thai and a deceleration phase is something a fighter doesn’t want.

[quote]dl- wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Well I’ll be going back into muay thai and a deceleration phase is something a fighter doesn’t want.[/quote]

Well, you can use ballistic bench and various medicine ball throws to avoid deceleration, but you do need to build strength as well, right?

[quote]dl- wrote:
malonetd wrote:

Well I’ll be going back into muay thai and a deceleration phase is something a fighter doesn’t want.[/quote]

find out what other muay thai fighters do to avoid this, and then do that?

How about clap-type pushups?

I do not use the Smith machine but I’ve heard of some high-level people using it to do bench press throws and catches. I tried it years ago and it seemed kinda fun!

yeah pretty much I’ve thought about it: ballistic bench with smith machine, regular bench press throws, med ball throws, punching bag is always a beauty, medicine ball drop (dropped from a height, caught, then immedialty exploded up), plyo pushups, and plyo pushups on blocks.

Yeah your right, you definaetly do need strength and I’m not disregarding that, just lookin at both sides of the picture.

[quote]dl- wrote:
yeah pretty much I’ve thought about it: ballistic bench with smith machine, regular bench press throws, med ball throws, punching bag is always a beauty, medicine ball drop (dropped from a height, caught, then immedialty exploded up), plyo pushups, and plyo pushups on blocks. [/quote]

Do you seriously throw an oly bar on a bench for bench press throws?

I’ve goofed around with smith machine throws and they are kinda fun.

However, the former seems dangerous as hell?

I’ve seen Ross Enamit (sp?) out in his backyard with various dumbbells throwing them in a punch-type movement one after another. You can buy cheap 10-12-15 pounders pretty cheap.

I was training with a Highland Games pro and we discussed throwing db’s or even light barbells outside. The bar could be “push-thrown” at various angles, even lying while throwing it away from your body (past the head or past the feet).

[quote]derek wrote:
How about clap-type pushups?
[/quote]

Along these same lines, you could do what I guess would be a plyometric push up. Choke a band around the top of a power rack and put the bottom end around your chest in a push up position. It turns the movement into an assisted push up where you can push explosively, with no deceleration, land, and push up again quickly. I hope I am describing it well enough to make sense.

Actually very High double over band tension can nearly remove all of it.

The you have the other things ppl explained med ball ballistice p-ups etc.

Phill

Thanks for the replies guys, some real good feedback!