T Nation

Band Training Roundhouse Kicks

I’ve seen wrestlers and MMA fighters use band resistance to train their shoots. I have seen band presses, band deadlifts, band squats, band benches, band swimming strokes. Never band roundhouse kicks. Do you think there is a reason for this? I would think attaching a band to your ankle and practicing round kicks would be a perfect way to increase their power directly. Obviously the resistance would have to be very low, but the beauty of bands is that you can decrease resistance by decreasing the length of the band.

Anyone heard of this before? Tried it themselves? Think I am retarded? I am bored of studying for finals, and thought I’d run this by you guys.

IMO, it would change the mechanics of the kick. Unless the band were on some sort of captured sled, it will change the direction of the force vector working against your leg.

If, for example, you stood on the band with the plated foot, the force applied by the band would be down and towards the body, instead of straight down (that is, like gravity).

In short, it might interfere with motor learning. Sorta like how pitchers don’t throw with weighted balls to get a faster pitch.

I could be wrong, though.

Tried it, for a while actually… and yea it changes the mechanics of the kick. The nature of the movement is so dynamic as well that applying a band really just changes how you apply force.

Not a bad movement to just gain some strength in your hip muscles but not something i’d spend too much time on.

that said, i had some success with it attaching the band to my KNEE as opposed to my ankle. Especially for a thai kick, knee kinda guides it.

anyway,

The way to increase power is to refine your technique. More efficient the more powerful you will be. All the weight training and stuff in the world really pales in comparison to efficient technique…that’s the transmission. You can have the most powerful engine in the world but w/o the right tranny you aren’t going anywhere.

Say it again, there’s little 80lb kids in thailand that can break your femur right now if they kicked your leg but would probably struggle to squat a 45 lb bar. On the flipside there’s big buff motherfuckers that can sure kick hard but they’re no where NEAR the level of damage they could potentially inflict if they did that shit right.

But you are right.

it’s a great exercise for the surrounding musculature. And especially if you need to rehab something, or you need better control and range of motion.

How about for punches? I’ve tried them before and they didn’t seem to affect movement mechanics much.

I don’t see how you could do it without fucking up your mechanics. But, it has been done, see this video of Francisco Filho throwing kicks with band resistance. I’m not telling him he’s wrong…

Yeah I’ve seen vids of the Chute Boxe guys doing it as well. Personally, I wouldn’t do it. Think it’s fine for straight punches though.

I agree with everyone saying using bands will change your mechanics. I think bands are better served for range of motion/flexibility work…and of course rehab purposes.

I use bands during my warm-ups after foam rolling when I feel really stiff or sore. Of course this is done with minimal resistance.

seems like it works well with Kyokushin style kicks they’re a little more snappy. Thai boxing kicks depend a LOT on follow through, without that you’re shorting yourself on a lot of power (technique wise).

Punching, egggghhhhh, I don’t like it all that much. Too much resistance and you’re pushing the punch. Not enough resistance and you’re really not doing anything.

If i was going to do it though I like the style of (its in the video donut posted too) of holding something round and throwing hooks with bands.

Imo it’s still going to take away the “snap” from your punches if you spend too much time with it. Obviously it’s going to take a shitload of reps to alter your motor unit recruitment so if you do this every now and then it’s not a big deal. But it rechambers your hand for you, and in an overspeed fashion which is unrealistic… you get 1/2 your speed based on how fast you rechamber your fist.

Imo this is a great tool if you add a little more to it.

Credit to the Diesel Crew’s “building the ultimate mma athlete” for this

method 1- attach the band behind you, hold the tubing/band in your palm and perform your punching.

method 2- attach the band behind you and the band to your WRIST and perform punching

method 3 & 4 - attach the band IN FRONT of you and practice punching in an overspeed fashion but the resistance is on your RECHAMBER. Wrist & palming the band.

method 5 & 6- the same as 3&4 but with hooks

Ok, analogy time. I have one of these with every fucking post…

it’s my opinion that the band punching is like running hills. Most great sprinters have run hills or an incline (at least) at some point. It’s a great method to build leg strength, learn to open up your stride, and emphasize different musculature. But it is something they will utilize sparingly… Reason being? In a sport where winning comes by mere inches and fractions of a second they refuse to sacrifice technique or any changes. Most will build strength in general exercises (weights, plyo), sprint specific drills (various run distances) and IMPROVING TECHNIQUE. Measure the guy’s stride and determine how many steps he needs to take in order to get whatever time he needs then improve stride time…etc

“It’s just running” but the emphasis on technique is so fucking high what makes you think it isn’t for a sport as complex as fighting?

Hell Michael Phelps beat a guy because he kept his head down as opposed to lifting it. TECHNIQUE. Something he probably practiced thousands of times and did on instinct when it came down to it that quarter of an inch is what won. And that’s “just swimming”.

I’m all for trying new shit, and stuff like this really breaks up training monotony but your bread and butter should be general strength/speed/power exercises and technique efficiency.

Kicking with bands is a silly idea. The power comes from the technique.

[quote]3rdegreebyrne wrote:
I’ve seen wrestlers and MMA fighters use band resistance to train their shoots. I have seen band presses, band deadlifts, band squats, band benches, band swimming strokes. Never band roundhouse kicks. Do you think there is a reason for this? I would think attaching a band to your ankle and practicing round kicks would be a perfect way to increase their power directly. Obviously the resistance would have to be very low, but the beauty of bands is that you can decrease resistance by decreasing the length of the band.

Anyone heard of this before? Tried it themselves? Think I am retarded? I am bored of studying for finals, and thought I’d run this by you guys.[/quote]

The torque on the knee bothered me. I have used heavy boots and ankle weights, which does little to increase the velocity at impact like a band would. Long-term? No, IMHO.

It is not going to help you. It will mess with your mechanics of how you throw your kick. Also it will have a huge affect on what happens at the end of the kick.

If your style of kicking utilizes snap kicking you are going to be able to rely upon the band for the recovery instead of learning to control the kick with your musculature.

That recovery phase is just as important or even more important than the delivery phase. Because as soon as your foot starts to get near your groin height your groin is open to attack and you can’t move to evade until that foot is back on the ground. Also if that foot isn’t snapping back quickly your foot can be trapped.

If your opponent traps your foot and is being nice he can throw you on the ground with it. If he is a prick he can use your leg to get leverage and blast you in the groin.

Another thing relying on the band for deceleration can cause you to do is hyperextend and injure yourself.

Funny, this was exactly the same way I was thinking of it.

Never used band for kicks, but have used a low pull weight stack with the ankle attachment hold the other side and do pendulumn style knees rapidly making sure to insert as far as possible. Because we throw our kicks straight up the middle like knees and then open the hips, I noticed this helped alot getting driving power into the kick, don’t know how a band would work.

also use the belt/band set up for trot knees across the mat to build up power in rear foot, I liked that seemed to work well.

I also like using bands for punches say once a week. with your partner holding them behind throwing straight cross for like 30 seconds, fully extending and rotating hips and shoulders.

But we throw straight crosses not corkscrewed so I believe the objective is to push and snap then jigsaw the elbow back.

It’s a tool.

If you squat to increase strength for your back kick you shouldn’t think of actual “back kicking” while you’re under the iron and you’re good.
Same thing here.
The actual band exercise is not the roundhouse kick technique itself.
Don’t mix those up or focus too much on the band. Just don’t forget to work at least equally on kicking mitts or the bag.
There you go.

If you experience zero carryover after practising for a month or two, ditch it.
And stretch.

stretch, heavy lifting, squats, split squats, sumo deads, and practice your kick correctly a billion times. better than bands lol

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
It’s a tool.

If you squat to increase strength for your back kick you shouldn’t think of actual “back kicking” while you’re under the iron and you’re good.
Same thing here.
The actual band exercise is not the roundhouse kick technique itself.
Don’t mix those up or focus too much on the band. Just don’t forget to work at least equally on kicking mitts or the bag.
There you go.

If you experience zero carryover after practising for a month or two, ditch it.
And stretch.
[/quote]

well said

[quote]rasturai wrote:
stretch, heavy lifting, squats, split squats, sumo deads, and practice your kick correctly a billion times. better than bands lol[/quote]

Billion and one :slight_smile:

Ya thats why i said i had some success attaching it to my knee/thigh. I could follow through with my kick but only because the knee is what’s pulling/guiding the motion.

Even so, Schwarzer nailed it. No reason NOT to do it really, but plenty of reason NOT to depend on it. Cycle it in for a while though and you’ll probably get some benefit but it’s not like kicking the bag or something… 100% have to.

As long as your still kickin the bag your fine. Doin them into thin air will change the mechanics. Kicking the bag will not…at least from my experience.

Xen is right though…unless your technique is near flawless I would focus on that first.

OMC

We don’t seem to have enough posts here saying “do it a bit but do technique work more” so do it a bit but do technique work more.