Band Tension and Websites

Just a question about the proclaimed tensions of bands on different websites.

Elitefts has their band tension for the mini band has 40 off the chest, and 90 at lockout for bench. Jump stretch’s own website has the mini band as having a tension of 25 lbs.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=138&pid=246
http://www.jumpstretch.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=72&osCsid=701f91558823b6e0b98339cf148e465f

The numbers vary for most of the bands. Are the numbers different solely because of different set ups (elitefts would cite the most common setups and their numbers, I assume?)

On a related note, why are the bands commonly referred to by color if the colors vary like on Jump stretch inc’s site?

Thanks,
Dave

Here’s what i think is going on, but it could be off. I think that jumpstretch may be going off a general term for use but elite is going off a doubled bench set up and even that will change with band pin set up. I generally go that minis add 90lbs of tension at the top. About how ppl refer to bands by color instead of title (mini, monster, light, average and strong), i think that’s just b/c not a lot of ppl know that the bands come in different color for a long time all i saw was orange-micro, blue-minis, black-monsters, purple-lights, green-average and blue-strong. The only band that i think changes colors is the minis everything else seems to be constant.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:
Just a question about the proclaimed tensions of bands on different websites.

Elitefts has their band tension for the mini band has 40 off the chest, and 90 at lockout for bench. Jump stretch’s own website has the mini band as having a tension of 25 lbs.[/quote]

Yeah, The 25# is for one band- used as one big hoop. The way efs has them is a PAIR & DOUBLED set for D.E. benching and held down by dumbbells or the band pegs they have built into their racks and even simply choked around the base of the racks. This is of course ball park numbers for a NEW MINI’s or the red bands.Hope this helps.

Both helped a bunch. Thanks guys.

Time to order some bands.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:
Both helped a bunch. Thanks guys.

Time to order some bands.[/quote]

What are your maxes and your intended uses?

245 bench, will likely use a single pair of minis (maybe?) for DE day.

375 squat, thinking that light would be okay for this?

Not entirely sure if I’ll be using bands for deadlift now or not; depends if I can get it set up properly at my gym. Deadlift is 415.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:
245 bench, will likely use a single pair of minis (maybe?) for DE day.

375 squat, thinking that light would be okay for this?

Not entirely sure if I’ll be using bands for deadlift now or not; depends if I can get it set up properly at my gym. Deadlift is 415.[/quote]

KK you are pretty similar to me. My bench is about 255, squat about 350, and deadlift about 400.

The minis work fine for DE bench, they are a little hard on the elbows but should be fine if you are smart about it. And i used monster minis on DE squats with no problems, but could probabl go a bit higher if i had lights.

So looks like you are on the right track. Im gonna be using bands A LOT in my upcoming program, so keep us informed on your use.