Band Pegs on a Rack

I’m not quite strong enough to be worrying about it yet, but on the elite racks, is it worth the dough to get top and bottom band pegs? Is choking the band around the rack going to be fine?

just hook the bands around the bottom of the cage. that’s why the front-to-back cross bars are elevated a couple inches from the floor

I own a 3x3 w/ the band pegs. Honestly, I think its worth the cash. You can more easily adjust the tension w/ the pegs than by looping the band around the horizontal bar that robo1 speaks of.

I don’t know about top pegs though. Unless you require specific tension (like the bottom pegs), then it might help. I know that sometimes, I wish I had this set up for reverse band squats/benches/deadlifts. Its difficult to get a perfect set up w/ just the one bar at times.

If you want to save money, I doubt it’ll affect the tension too much. Its just much easier, thats all.

How much extra is it for the band attachments? Is there something you could better spend the money on?

is anyway to weld the pegs onto yourself? ive been thinking about purchasing a band set and would appreciate some ideas to throw a set of pegs ont he bottom.

Drill holes in the bottom and get some pipe to use. That might work.

[quote]ilyttoddll wrote:
is anyway to weld the pegs onto yourself? ive been thinking about purchasing a band set and would appreciate some ideas to throw a set of pegs ont he bottom. [/quote]

No reason why you couldn’t. You would have to grind off the powder coating all around it before you weld, and then touch it back up with spray paint. You would not be able to get a professional look unless you baked all of the powder coating off, welded it, and had it recoated. It’s probably better to just buy it with them.

EDIT: I just took a closer look at the elite one. I thought they were welded on, they are not. All you really need to do is drill some holes, buy some shafting, and weld a flange on the end of the shaft. Sounds like a pretty easy way to save $175.

definte tedro, im no welder but i already have a rack in my garage but my pops knows all about it. defitinately doable with your advice now all i need to do is scrounge up some money for some bands

If you do it, make sure you bolt your rack to the floor. The bands will pick up the whole thing if it’s not secured.

You may also want to check out the poor man’s equipment thread:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1132144

I just built a platform that has some attachments for bands. It’s on the last page.

elitefts has free shipping for orders over $30 right now. They do this frequently, I ordered bands a couple weeks back and got free shipping and a free shirt.