T Nation

Bananas and Fructose!?!?

Ok so I was goin over some articles from the past(not on here but in some nutrition books) and they say that banana's(high fructose) will cause anyone dieting to fail if they often include these and anyone thats not dieting but eatin these on regular basis, to actually gain weight. Anyone hear this aswell or have any logic to it?

Eating a banana won’t make you fat unless you don’t need the energy it provides.

Bananas have fructose, glucose, and sucrose - all simple sugars that digest quickly for immediate energy (like most fruits). Their relatively high GI compared to other fruits may make some people think that bananas will make them fat, but the fiber in bananas helps sustain its sugar absorption, making them a high-energy food that won’t make you crash shortly after eating it. Thus, you have more time to utilize its energy.

I can only see someone getting fat off of bananas if he/she would eat a ton of them and sit around on his/her butt all day. Any food will make you fat if you eat it and don’t use the energy it provides.

A medium-sized banana only has around 100 kcal and is quite filling. It’s a great energy food with the added benefits of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Don’t count bananas out.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=164581

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=21848

This may help a little.

There are other articles out there as well if you do some looking in the archives.

Bananas are a good food for anyone that is training. Unless you are at contest prep and are trying to get the last few pounds off, they are only positive. They provide potassium, which is lost during training, and supply quick absorbing carbs. Like was stated, unless you eat a ton of them, they won’t make you gain unnecessary weight.

Cool, good info to know. Thanks!

Always take such articles with a grain of salt. Very few food items are “bad” or have the potential to ruin a diet per se. Conversely, people who claim to have found the magic bullet in terms of nutrition are equally suspect.

Great info above. They are HIGH GI and II for a fruit. I tend to limit them if trying to cut but dont cut them out. Good stuff.

I guess I’ll be the first one to say it…

When dieting, only eat .9 banana.

Hahahaha

Bananas never got anyone fat. Bananas also never ruined any diet except for maybe the most extreme pre-contest diet.

As Ralph Wiggum would say: “. . . Go banana!”

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

When dieting, only eat .9 banana.[/quote]

Only if you’re reading too much Ayn Rand and think you can fight a gun with your pecs…

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

When dieting, only eat .9 banana.

Only if you’re reading too much Ayn Rand and think you can fight a gun with your pecs…

[/quote]

I don’t quite get the Ayn Rand reference…but eat your damn bananas!
1 banana 2 banana

There is a good article here on T-Nation about the fructose content of fruit. I’ll try to find it.