T Nation

Banana+Milk in post-workout?

Is good Banana+Milk in Post-workout?

How much of the carb content in a banana is fructose, glucose and dextrose?

Read the articles called "Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle" and "The Post-Workout Resurgence" at T-mag.

Bananas can be helpful to replenish your energy stores, but not your muscle glycogen so much. I'd avoid milk PWO. You don't need all that fructose and any fat that is in it will just reduce the effectiveness of your PWO nutrition. You need a drink like Surge for optimal replenishment of muscle glycogen.

Bad idea. And I'll tell you exactly why.

1. Bananas contain considerable ammounts of Fructose. Fructose is absorbed into your body differently from other sugars. Instead of promoting production of insulin and replenish muscle Glycogen stores DIRECTLY, it instead is abosrbed into your LIVER glycogen stores with minimal insulin release. Clearly not good as your actual muscle stores arent tended to, and as no insulin release means protein uptake to the muscles will be slower and not as effective.

2. Milk is low glycemic. While Lactose itself is a sugar, it is low glycemic. Coupled with that is the fact that Milk protein is to a large degree composed of Caseine. Caseine is a SLOW absorbing protein, ideal for a last meal of the day, but not for a post workout drink.

The IDEAL PW drink will contain: a very high glycemic sugar. Nothing beats Maltodextrin and Dextrose for this (Dextrose is slightly higher glycemic that Maltodextrin, but Maltodextrin brings out vascularity more, so a 50/50 mix is usually the best way to go).
The ideal PW drink will also have a very fast absorbing protein. Caseine is definitely not a good idea as it forms little conglomerates in your stomach and sits there while it is slowly digested. What you need is WHEY protein. Whey Protein ISOLATE is often the best way to go. Whey Hydrosilates are said to be faster absorbing still, but dont taste quite as good, and quite honestly arent as abundant.

Bottom line: Get something with a good ammount of sugars consisting of Maltodextrin and Dextrose and WHEY ISOLATE.

[clap clap clap clap clap] diesel23!!!

Damn, Diesel. Excellent response!

have to agree with everyone here..good answer Diesel

I agree with Diesel as well, except on the banana part. High-GI fruits have a high GI because they have a high ratio of glucose relative to fructose. Poliquin has included bananas and other fruits and grape juice in his PW drink. As long as you have enough non-fructose carbs to cover glycogen replenishment in the muscles, fruit is fine. In fact, fructose has been theorized to displace glucose that would have settled in the liver, thus putting it in the bloodstream for muscles. Regardless of whether this takes places, I don't see the argument that bananas can't be an effective PW carb-component.

When I spent almost a year cutting (dieting down about 55 lbs of fat) I used fruits (bananas and strawberries) in my shakes.

Now if falling asleep a half hour after eating is any indication of an insulin spike, then I definitely had elevated insulin!

Plus, from Berardi's articles, it is obvious that we need to start our shakes before workouts, so that should give plenty of time for the increased transit time the liver imposes.

So.. I'd say, well I don't know for bulking, but for cutting, fruit as a sugar source worked just fine for me. As long as I lifted heavy I didn't lose any LBM. (I lost LBM on Meltdown though but I didn't eat enough).

I believe the common mantra is usually "try it and see if it works for you".

diesel, what do you eat for this meal?

Well, if you're going to go with a fruit (juiced or otherwise), it just makes sense that you'd want to choose the fruit that has the highest amount of what you want. Since a good portion of a banana's sugar is fructose, which contributes absolutely nothing to your insulin spike, you'd be better off going with something like grape juice (i.e., pure glucose) instead, which will.

No, I think Diesel's got this one right.

I never said Diesel was wrong. I agree the BEST way to go is glucose plus hydrolyzed whey. We usually settle for maltodextrin instead of glucose (I know some distance runners that use glucose).

But, what I meant is, you don't NEED to go this route. Money spent on a good diet throughout the entire day is better than that money spent on one supplement.

Just ask any diabetic, fruit sure as hell affects your blood glucose levels. Not as fast as maltodextrin, but it does.

Great response Diesel. This question falls in line with something I've been thinking about today so I'll throw it up under thsis thread. How do you feel about a banana in the second PWO meal that Berardi suggests you take in 60-90 minutes following surge? For example, I kill a Malto/Whey Isolate shake right after my workout. 60-90 minutes later I consume the following meal -

1 banana
1 scoop Whey
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 1/2 cup fiber one

This comes in at about 70% carbs and 30% protein per Berardi's suggestion.

Diesel - Do you think the banana is equally as useless in this second meal as it is in the original PWO meal?

To the original poster, is the aforementioned concoction (banana + milk) better than what? It's all relative.

If we're talking immediately post-training and relative to Surge, then I'd say that the former is not good relative to the latter.

However, I'd like to offer that I think a banana is a quality foodstuff to put in the solid-food meal following the liquid post-training meal. If a liquid post-training meal is not taken, then I think a banana would bode well, also.

When talking about nutrition do we really want to turn it into a 'doing this is better than that' discussion?

When striving for the perfect physique you want to eat whats BEST for your body, not whats BETTER for your body. Is a milk/banana shake better than a piece of bread? Of course it is. Is it by any means the ideal PW shake - or close to it? Not by a long shot.

Caseine for one WILL sit in your stomach and be absorbed slowly. Lactose in milk is pretty low glycemic, and as such will be digested rather slowly with less of an insulin spike.
Banana while medium-high glycemic contains quantities of fructose which are not the best sugars to take post workout.

You dont want a 'better' shake. You want THE ideal shake to optimize recovery and stave off muscle catabolism. How do you do that? Very simple:

You mix a very high glycemic carb with a very fast absorbing protein. That wacks off the caseine and lactose in milk right away, as well as the low glycemic fructose in the banana.
What are the ideal ingredients for the PW shake? Maltodextrin, Dextrose, or Glucose - which by the way Chris is NOTHING but the mirror image of Dextrose and has a glycemic index only a few points higher than Maltodextrin - and a protein such as WHEY ISOLATE, or WHEY Hydrolysates.

Surfer: I dont see anything wrong with your meal. Taking into account JB's latest article, the banana seems especially apropriate. Since itll reduce the net acid in your body, itll stave off production of cortisol which your body would produce in order to release glutamine from muscle tissue and neutralize the acids. As long as your carb/protein intake for this meal is appropriate for you, it certainly seems to fit the bil. The combo of cottage cheese, which is rich in slow-absorbing caseine, and the fast absorbing Whey Protein fits in rather nicely as it provides immediate protein as well as a steadier protein release from the cottage cheese.

Big Daddy Diesel,

Don't think I'm hating on you, brutha:-) I just wanted to throw out a response for some people to chew on, and I'm glad you took a huge bite! Now, it's my turn to retort.

Since we're talking ideal now, why do we want a hydrolyzed protein with mixed amino acids if the literature consistently shows that only a much smaller amount of essential amino acids are necessary to incite the greatest protein synthesis?

Timbo, I'm convinced that the small amount of essential amino acids discovered to boost synthesis is also a function of SPEED of utilization, not just amount.

Those studies used a mix of free-form aminos. The effect on protein synthesis of 6 grams of free-form EAAs has got to be greater than an ounce of turkey breast. I remember in one of those science conference articles, a guy said that because of the Tipton studies, a small glass of milk would be a great PW drink! The T-mag writer should have laughed him out of the house.

Very hydrolyzed whey will hit the blood at about the same speed as free-form aminos(and leave you some extra amino acids to build with--although I'm not sure the benefit of those).

Desiel, you cant alway have what is best for your body, other thing come into the equation (money, social life, beer) so sometime you do have to ask which is the lesser of two evils and sometimes what is the better option...
but yeah good original post

Diesel is wrong on one point.

A ripe banana is HIGH GI, predominantly glucose
A green or not so ripe banana has a high ratio of starch (or glucose) and also fructose.

Im pretty sure I said bananas have a medium-high GI.