Baltimore Burning

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Not taking the bait, USMC

You like to twist words too much to argue with. You’re subtle, I’ll give you that. But you are still twisting what I write. Not interested in “debating” anyone anymore about this. How you can just flippantly dismiss the actual experiences of someone who grew up in the very neighborhoods being discussed who has had first hand interaction with officers (you know, the EXACT topic on hand?) is beyond me. It boggles my little brain.

But whatever, you’re right, I’m wrong. "nuff said. After all, you have STATISTICS. And everyone knows, STATISTICS never lie…[/quote]

I’m not twisting anything and I hardly dismissed your experiences even though I doubt you’ve witnessed thousands of cases of real infringements.

I’m arguing with facts not emotion, but whatever. You don’t like facts when they disagree with you, most people don’t, I get it. I’d hate for silly little statistics, like a citizen of Baltimore is more likely to be killed by another citizen than a police officer, to get in the way of sticking it to the man.

I’m mainly just surprised Obama hasn’t declared martial law and burned the constitution. I guess it’s because the Jade Helm training hasn’t happened yet, oh well, wasted opportunity I guess.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
You like to twist words too much to argue with. [/quote]

Everyone here does whether they mean to or not. I honestly try not to, but if you say I did here then I apologize, that was not my intent.

Please don’t pretend like you don’t. You did it in this very thread.

Can I just ask the people on the one side of the debate, do you think there is zero reason behind these riots other than wanton thuggery?
I remember a documentary that said every generation polls done on white Americans said there was no longer a racism problem in America. This includes the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s etc. Do we really think this generation finally got rid of it?

I could be totally wrong but I would guess there are some underlying reasons why these things happen and just blaming it on criminality and thugs is kinda cartoonish overkill, like when the government blamed the black panthers and their actions on “outside activity” :smiley:

[quote]YamatoDamashii92 wrote:
Can I just ask the people on the one side of the debate, do you think there is zero reason behind these riots other than wanton thuggery?
[/quote]

There is a reason but its not much different than the reason of the cops they are protesting.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[/quote]

There is a reason but its not much different than the reason of the cops they are protesting.[/quote]

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[/quote]

There is a reason but its not much different than the reason of the cops they are protesting.[/quote]

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean?[/quote]

The cops they are protesting, for example the ones directly responsible for the death of a black guy in their custody. Do you think those cops are the law enforcement equivalent of a “thug”, bullying criminals for their enjoyment and killing them without remorse if they can get away with it? If not why do you think their actions eventually lead to the easily preventable death of someone?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean?[/quote]

The cops they are protesting, for example the ones directly responsible for the death of a black guy in their custody. Do you think those cops are the law enforcement equivalent of a “thug”, bullying criminals for their enjoyment and killing them without remorse if they can get away with it? If not why do you think their actions eventually lead to the easily preventable death of someone?[/quote]

But does it have to be either or ? Can there be bad and good cops and the responses are to the bad cops or the system in general ? For example drug laws, drug laws which target certain drugs that impact the black community more such as crack?

There seem two be two types of people who are angry:

1. The ones angry at specific actions of cops
  2. Ones angry at the systematic criminalisation of black people through drug laws etc rather than cops. Libertarians for example would often say the laws that lead to Eric Garners death are wrong, unjust and target lower class and minorities.

I remember a documentary that said every generation polls done on white Americans said there was no longer a racism problem in America. This includes the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s etc. Do we really think this generation finally got rid of it?

I could be totally wrong but I would guess there are some underlying reasons why these things happen and just blaming it on criminality and thugs is kinda cartoonish overkill, like when the government blamed the black panthers and their actions on “outside activity” :D[/quote]

The reason for the rioting is a general decline in the black family(read: fatherless) and the narrative of victimization pushed by the media and politicians.

If you believe you are a helpless victim you are going to lash out.

Further, the economic conditions of black people particularly young men has deteriorated catastrophically since the 60’s due to the welfare state, the war on drugs, and the sea of other laws destroying the black community.

Black families were on their way to parity economically and actually had overall LOWER violent crime rates in the 50’s, so unless you’re going to make the argument that Racism is worse now than it was in the Jim Crow days, it cannot be the primary factor in the horrific state of the black community.

Also, it’s a matter of public record that the Civil Rights movement including the close advisers to MLK were in fact members of official Communist Party groups with the stated goal of co-opting the civil rights movement to create a class war.

People still believe that the fear of Communist spies was a fabrication when in fact the CIA declassified official records proving otherwise in 2007. believing their weren’t any Soviet Communist infiltrators/spies involved in US politics is as naive as believing there were no American spies infiltrating the USSR at the time.

The reality is the Civil Rights movement to end Jim Crow and institutionalized Racism was coopted for the purpose of Social Welfare and contributed more than anything else to the destruction of the black family.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

I could be totally wrong but I would guess there are some underlying reasons why these things happen and just blaming it on criminality and thugs is kinda cartoonish overkill, like when the government blamed the black panthers and their actions on “outside activity” :D[/quote]

The reason for the rioting is a general decline in the black family(read: fatherless) and the narrative of victimization pushed by the media and politicians.

Further, the economic conditions of black people particularly young men has deteriorated catastrophically since the 60’s due to the welfare state, the war on drugs, and the sea of other laws destroying the black community.

Black families were on their way to parity economically and actually had overall LOWER violent crime rates in the 50’s, so unless you’re going to make the argument that Racism is worse now than it was in the Jim Crow days, it cannot be the primary factor in the horrific state of the black community.[/quote]

But is it because of welfare or just that welfare reforms came about because of the poverty. Seems like chicken v the egg. Black communities have always been economically disadvantaged.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

Black families were on their way to parity economically and actually had overall LOWER violent crime rates in the 50’s, so unless you’re going to make the argument that Racism is worse now than it was in the Jim Crow days, it cannot be the primary factor in the horrific state of the black community.[/quote]

But is it because of welfare or just that welfare reforms came about because of the poverty. Seems like chicken v the egg. Black communities have always been economically disadvantaged. [/quote]

Nope, black communities were quickly closing the gap in the post war period which was before the 60’s reforms.

The lowest point of black crime rates and peak of economic growth was in fact in the 50’s.

Also, while black people did in fact suffer from institutionalized segregation, their was never a time post slavery that they were at a worse economic condition relative to the rest of the population than they are now.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

But is it because of welfare or just that welfare reforms came about because of the poverty. Seems like chicken v the egg. Black communities have always been economically disadvantaged. [/quote]

Nope, black communities were quickly closing the gap in the post war period which was before the 60’s reforms.

The lowest point of black crime rates and peak of economic growth was in fact in the 50’s.

Also, while black people did in fact suffer from institutionalized segregation, their was never a time post slavery that they were at a worse economic condition relative to the rest of the population than they are now.[/quote]

Wasn’t that during the Harlem renaissance which was ended when whites after the war stopped employing blacks and the factory work etc dried up and led to all the blacks who had moved into the city jobless and dependent on the government?

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

Also, while black people did in fact suffer from institutionalized segregation, their was never a time post slavery that they were at a worse economic condition relative to the rest of the population than they are now.[/quote]

Wasn’t that during the Harlem renaissance which was ended when whites after the war stopped employing blacks and the factory work etc dried up and led to all the blacks who had moved into the city jobless and dependent on the government?[/quote]

That’s a nice story, but were’s your evidence to support it?
In fact, States and municipalities were already voluntarily desegregating every year post war up until the civil rights act was passed.
It’s true that Federal minimum wage was paid through the unions by law and Unions were heavily Racist because blacks were competing low skilled labor. Government workers were rapidly growing and if you were black you weren’t going to get employed.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

Wasn’t that during the Harlem renaissance which was ended when whites after the war stopped employing blacks and the factory work etc dried up and led to all the blacks who had moved into the city jobless and dependent on the government?[/quote]

In fact, States and municipalities were already voluntarily desegregating every year post war up until the civil rights act was passed.
It’s true that Federal minimum wage was paid through the unions by law and Unions were heavily Racist because blacks were competing low skilled labor. Government workers were rapidly growing and if you were black you weren’t going to get employed.[/quote]

What do you mean proof ? It happened it is an accepted part of history ?? How would i prove it to you, it is just a known part of history. It is in huge amounts of books, is acknowledged on TV, by historians etc.

Also how is citizens organising and leveraging their labour value on the free market racist? That is a fantastical statement.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
One day the riots will turn into witch hunts, people pulling other people out of cars and beating them to death, lighting houses and churches and hospitals on fire, etc…
[/quote]

typical complete bullshit hyperbole from an internet nostradamus.

[/quote]

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you were too young for the LA Riots in the 90’s and haven’t actually read anything on them?[/quote]

were multiple people dragged from cars and killed?

were hospitals burned to the ground? multiple houses? churches?

because that is what is being stated in the above post.

posting a video of one person being badly beaten does not prove ANY of the above btw (i know it was another poster, but still).

it is an extraordinary leap to go from the current problems to saying random people will be pulled from cars and killed and hospitals burned to the ground. i really do not understand the need for such outlandish exaggerating.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

It’s true that Federal minimum wage was paid through the unions by law and Unions were heavily Racist because blacks were competing low skilled labor. Government workers were rapidly growing and if you were black you weren’t going to get employed.[/quote]

What do you mean proof ? It happened it is an accepted part of history ?? How would i prove it to you, it is just a known part of history. It is in huge amounts of books, is acknowledged on TV, by historians etc.

Also how is citizens organizing and leveraging their labor value in the free market racist? That is a fantastical statement.
[/quote]
Your evidence to support that “whites stopped employing blacks” specifically when in fact workplace segregation laws were being repealed during the post war period and before the Civil rights act.

Federal Unions were mandated not organized voluntarily in the free market. they were instituted alongside minimum wage laws.
The minimum wage was instituted in the 1930’s with the backing of Union Labor leaders and Politicians with the official stated goal of preventing “negroes” moving into northern states from undercutting white union labor.

This had am immediate and devastating effect at the time to low-skilled workers(who were predominately black) at the time.

Because the Racist leadership of Federal Unions, as the “public sector” grew relative to the private sector Blacks unemployment rates went up.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

Here is what I see AC: cops kill another unarmed black in Anytown, USA. Agitators then come to a WHITE SUBURB are cause havoc. Police fight back this time and shit finally gets real.

They will learn they won’t wake up whitey until it happens in their hood.

Watch.
[/quote]

Utter horse shit. Just utter horse shit to the 9th degree.

Fucking skin color has nothing to do with it. Police get away with killing white people too, white people riot quite often too, and burn shit and destroy areas of cities.

Good lord.
[/quote]

Not disagreeing with you completely, but when was the last time white people rioted ?[/quote]

February of 2014, Ukraine.
[/quote]

Got anything more local ?
[/quote]

Please indulge us. Let’s start with our continent, and work our way to our country for starters.

And please no references to Boston circa 1770.
[/quote]

Okay. Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921, was the last time white people in the United States had a serious riot, in which white mobs destroyed 35 blocks of the black business district, killing between 40 and 300 blacks (depending on who you ask), injuring 800, and leaving ten thousand homeless.

I mean, there were the “civil rights” riots in the sixties in which white people participated, but these were primarily black race riots, and the instigators were not white. And the anti war protests, of course, were not “riots” per se.

The early twentieth and late nineteenth centuries were full of white-on-black riots in the United States. Some with pretty impressive body counts.

1917, St. Louis, Missouri: three thousand white rioters loot and burn black homes, destroy black business district, kill between 100 and 200 blacks.
1908, Springfield, Illinois
1906, Atlanta, Georgia: ten thousand white rioters kill 40 blacks, drive the rest out of the city.
1898, Lake City, South Carolina
1898, Phoenix, South Carolina
1898, Wilmington, North Carolina: two thousand white rioters kill 60 blacks
1876, Hamburg, South Carolina
1874, Liberty Place, Louisiana: five thousand White League rioters kill 40 blacks
1874, Coushatta, Louisiana: White League kills 20 blacks
1874, Vicksburg, Mississippi: 31 blacks killed
1873, Colifax, Louisiana: white mob burns down courthouses with blacks inside, killing up to 150
1871, Meridian, Mississippi: white mobs burn down black homes and schools, killing 30
1870, Eutaw, Alabama
1870, Laurens, South Carolina
1868, Opalousa, Louisiana: 1000 white rioters kill 100 blacks
1866, Memphis, Tennessee: 46 blacks killed, 5 black women raped, a hundred buildings looted and burned by white rioters.

So. I’d say whites win, whaddya think? White people don’t fuck around. At least they didn’t used to. Buncha pussies, these days.[/quote]

So black people are rioting because of events that happened between 98-149 years ago ?

[/quote]

Not all of them, no.

But a lot of them are still pretty pissed off about events that happened between 150 and 565 years ago, so who knows.

If, however, you’re asking whether I think the half-century of whites burning down black neighborhoods and killing and raping black people justifies the Baltimore rioting, the answer is no. I just posted this in answer to the question, “when was the last time white people rioted”

I could just as easily have posted the dates of the last ten or twenty post-Super Bowl or World Series riots, but those wouldn’t have had the impressive body counts as the race riots.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

Also how is citizens organizing and leveraging their labor value in the free market racist? That is a fantastical statement.
[/quote]
Your evidence to support that “whites stopped employing blacks” specifically when in fact workplace segregation laws were being repealed during the post war period and before the Civil rights act.

Federal Unions were mandated not organized voluntarily in the free market. they were instituted alongside minimum wage laws.
The minimum wage was instituted in the 1930’s with the backing of Union Labor leaders and Politicians with the official stated goal of preventing “negroes” moving into northern states from undercutting white union labor.

This had am immediate and devastating effect at the time to low-skilled workers(who were predominately black) at the time.

Because the Racist leadership of Federal Unions, as the “public sector” grew relative to the private sector Blacks unemployment rates went up.
[/quote]

Segregation didn’t stop whites from not hiring black …

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:

Here is what I see AC: cops kill another unarmed black in Anytown, USA. Agitators then come to a WHITE SUBURB are cause havoc. Police fight back this time and shit finally gets real.

They will learn they won’t wake up whitey until it happens in their hood.

Watch.
[/quote]

Utter horse shit. Just utter horse shit to the 9th degree.

Fucking skin color has nothing to do with it. Police get away with killing white people too, white people riot quite often too, and burn shit and destroy areas of cities.

Good lord.
[/quote]

Not disagreeing with you completely, but when was the last time white people rioted ?[/quote]

February of 2014, Ukraine.
[/quote]

Got anything more local ?
[/quote]

Please indulge us. Let’s start with our continent, and work our way to our country for starters.

And please no references to Boston circa 1770.
[/quote]

Okay. Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921, was the last time white people in the United States had a serious riot, in which white mobs destroyed 35 blocks of the black business district, killing between 40 and 300 blacks (depending on who you ask), injuring 800, and leaving ten thousand homeless.

I mean, there were the “civil rights” riots in the sixties in which white people participated, but these were primarily black race riots, and the instigators were not white. And the anti war protests, of course, were not “riots” per se.

The early twentieth and late nineteenth centuries were full of white-on-black riots in the United States. Some with pretty impressive body counts.

1917, St. Louis, Missouri: three thousand white rioters loot and burn black homes, destroy black business district, kill between 100 and 200 blacks.
1908, Springfield, Illinois
1906, Atlanta, Georgia: ten thousand white rioters kill 40 blacks, drive the rest out of the city.
1898, Lake City, South Carolina
1898, Phoenix, South Carolina
1898, Wilmington, North Carolina: two thousand white rioters kill 60 blacks
1876, Hamburg, South Carolina
1874, Liberty Place, Louisiana: five thousand White League rioters kill 40 blacks
1874, Coushatta, Louisiana: White League kills 20 blacks
1874, Vicksburg, Mississippi: 31 blacks killed
1873, Colifax, Louisiana: white mob burns down courthouses with blacks inside, killing up to 150
1871, Meridian, Mississippi: white mobs burn down black homes and schools, killing 30
1870, Eutaw, Alabama
1870, Laurens, South Carolina
1868, Opalousa, Louisiana: 1000 white rioters kill 100 blacks
1866, Memphis, Tennessee: 46 blacks killed, 5 black women raped, a hundred buildings looted and burned by white rioters.

So. I’d say whites win, whaddya think? White people don’t fuck around. At least they didn’t used to. Buncha pussies, these days.[/quote]

So black people are rioting because of events that happened between 98-149 years ago ?

[/quote]

Not all of them, no.

But a lot of them are still pretty pissed off about events that happened between 150 and 565 years ago, so who knows.

If, however, you’re asking whether I think the half-century of whites burning down black neighborhoods and killing and raping black people justifies the Baltimore rioting, the answer is no. I just posted this in answer to the question, “when was the last time white people rioted”

I could just as easily have posted the dates of the last ten or twenty post-Super Bowl or World Series riots, but those wouldn’t have had the impressive body counts as the race riots.[/quote]

The notion that any particular race or ethnicity isn’t capable of intense violence is ridiculous. Thanks for the info Varq.

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
One day the riots will turn into witch hunts, people pulling other people out of cars and beating them to death, lighting houses and churches and hospitals on fire, etc…
[/quote]

typical complete bullshit hyperbole from an internet nostradamus.

[/quote]

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you were too young for the LA Riots in the 90’s and haven’t actually read anything on them?[/quote]

were multiple people dragged from cars and killed?

were hospitals burned to the ground? multiple houses? churches?

because that is what is being stated in the above post.

posting a video of one person being badly beaten does not prove ANY of the above btw (i know it was another poster, but still).

it is an extraordinary leap to go from the current problems to saying random people will be pulled from cars and killed and hospitals burned to the ground. i really do not understand the need for such outlandish exaggerating.[/quote]

Welcome to the internet where outlandish exaggerating and entirely baseless predictions just spew forth from people’s computers.

So there is a report from the Washington Post that has a prisoner who was with Gray in the van that states that Gray was actively trying to hurt himself. So there is a possibility the injuries may be self-inflicted.

Hmmmmmmmm