T Nation

Baking Soda with Creatine?

Has anyone hard of using baking soda as a supplement? I’ve heard that it makes your body less acidic and also makes lactic acid build up not as bad so u can push through it a little more.

I’ve been taking some the last few weeks and i Just started taking micronized creatine monohydrate yesterday. Do u have any idea if having both together would cause any types of problems?

makes sense as far as ph goes…let us know how it goes…

yes i tried it for a few weeks pre workout mixed with creatine and grape juice and mid workout mixed with a carb drink. it worked but it tasted awful. if you can handle the salty taste then go for it.

I could see it helping with cardio or training that has little rest periods between sets.

Inositol Powder has seemed to do the same thing sans the taste for me…

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Inositol Powder has seemed to do the same thing sans the taste for me…[/quote]

yea but at least this doesnt cost anything really, and i dont mind the taste at all so i guess i’ll stick with it.
thanks guys

I don’t understand how this would stop/slow the production of lactic acid. The baking soda would have similar effects to a tums, just neutralizing some stomach acid.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
I don’t understand how this would stop/slow the production of lactic acid. The baking soda would have similar effects to a tums, just neutralizing some stomach acid.[/quote]

well originally i just started taking it because i heard that it makes ur body less acidic and it will help ur body run better, but i’ve been hearing from some people that it helps with the lactic acid so thats just better IMO, hopefully thats actually true

[quote]David1991 wrote:
Has anyone hard of using baking soda as a supplement? I’ve heard that it makes your body less acidic [/quote]

If you are into the whole body acidic thing the same is said to be true for taking a greens product… like greens+ or Biotest’s perfect food…

Chad Waterbury is a proponent of greens type sups for that reason… And I heard a podcast with TC saying he was not convinced of it as of that time…

Well more for you to chew on… lol.

U have discovered a very strong supplement, that very few know about.

if u r a runner, sodium biocarbonate will help with running. Use 1 packet, mixed with simple sugar before a big event.

in lifting it also helps (an increase in sodium ions will produce a greater muscle contraction).

The key is to know how to use it right. Overdo it, u will bloat, get diarea, and dehydrate. 1 packet before workout with simple sugar.

There is a history of bicarb use in endurance sport. Even research to back it up. Look into some of the sports nutrition conferences/seminars that Biotest has detailed/reviewed in the articles section. (SOmething i havnt seen here in ages, what the hell happened? ) Its effects on endurance, and power output over time have been measured.

The only problem is the runs, and cramps. Potassium carbonate might be a better alternative. To be taken along with creatine and beta-alanine.

However, i would be curious to see how much effect it has on your stomach acid levels, and if that is a problem nutritionally. Some people are supplementing to raise their hcl levels. seems counterproductive. maybe just use it on a comp day.

I found this the other day on the Australian Institute of Sport site.

Bicarbonate and Citrate
Supplement Overview
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/supplements/resources/supplement_fact_sheets/bicarbonate

http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/146526/T16.5Bicarbonate.pdf

[quote]The geek wrote:
There is a history of bicarb use in endurance sport. Even research to back it up. Look into some of the sports nutrition conferences/seminars that Biotest has detailed/reviewed in the articles section. (SOmething i havnt seen here in ages, what the hell happened? ) Its effects on endurance, and power output over time have been measured.

The only problem is the runs, and cramps. Potassium carbonate might be a better alternative. To be taken along with creatine and beta-alanine.

However, i would be curious to see how much effect it has on your stomach acid levels, and if that is a problem nutritionally. Some people are supplementing to raise their hcl levels. seems counterproductive. maybe just use it on a comp day.[/quote]

how would it raise HCL levels? i would think the base would neutralize it. i had some cramping saturday with creatine but i dont think it was related to the baking soda since i’ve been taking it for a few weeks without issues

[quote]inthego wrote:
David1991 wrote:
Has anyone hard of using baking soda as a supplement? I’ve heard that it makes your body less acidic

If you are into the whole body acidic thing the same is said to be true for taking a greens product… like greens+ or Biotest’s Superfood…

Chad Waterbury is a proponent of greens type sups for that reason… And I heard a podcast with TC saying he was not convinced of it as of that time…

Well more for you to chew on… lol.[/quote]

Body acidity is so much more complex than this. Basically body acidity is caused by disease, not by diet.

Of course proper diet is important to stay healthy.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
The geek wrote:

However, i would be curious to see how much effect it has on your stomach acid levels, and if that is a problem nutritionally. Some people are supplementing to raise their hcl levels. seems counterproductive. maybe just use it on a comp day.

how would it raise HCL levels? i would think the base would neutralize it. i had some cramping saturday with creatine but i dont think it was related to the baking soda since i’ve been taking it for a few weeks without issues[/quote]

It wouldn’t raise your HCL levels, you are just reading his post wrong.

I remember this being all the rage a few years ago. I think a lot of people stopped because of stomach issues.

BETA-7?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
BETA-7?[/quote]

I was actually thinking that too…