Baked Potatoes at Work

Do any of you ever bring baked potatoes to work?

I’m just starting to; and today (right now) i’m having my first one.

Last night I cooked them in the oven for 45-50min; tossed them in the fridge and today micro’d them for 2min.

How on earth can I get them so they are

A.) not 1,000,000 degrees
B.) softer!

Thoughts? I’m not a big potatoe guy so my experience is limited.

I don’t think you need to roast them first if you’re going to cook them in the microwave. If anything, it’s better to microwave first, then roast afterwards to get the crispy shell. You obviously can’t do that at work though.

The easy way to prevent them being 1,000,000 degrees is to wait till it’s cooled down before you start eating it.

You can cook them in the microwave. Just put a raw potato in there for 6-7 minutes depending on the size.

I’ll try mic’in them for longer tomorrow. I already roasted 7 of them for the week last night…

Hopefully they don’t have the consistency of a brick if I do this.

If you overcook them in the microwave, they will get hard as a rock.

I usually buy the smaller redskin potatoes, bake them at home, and then cut them up into quarters when I bring them in to work to heat up in the microwave. They don’t take very long to heat up that way, so they don’t dry out too much. The smaller potatoes are more expensive, though.

After you clean them off, poke some holes all around with a fork. then wrap in plastic wrap. That will hold the moisture in and kind of steam the potatoe. It’ll also keep them from making a mess of the micorwave if they do explode. They’re still going to be HOT, but they should be moist. I susally cook on high for about 6-8 minutes depending on size.

I used to mix tuna with some light dressing and mash it all together. Tasted pretty good.