Baked Beans

Random, but what do you guys think about baked beans?

Personally, i love them and have a tin at breakkie every day with my whole eggs! I always rated them as a good wholesome carb source, being preferential for being a legume and mainly that their low GI…

But i was reading a whole bunch of stuff the other day by Berardi, and in one article he started referring to the insulin index (II), as opposed to the glycaemic index (GI). Basically saying that the rate at which carbs enter the bloodstream does not mean the insulin effect will match it…his example was BAKED BEANS! That despite a low GI, they have a high II (milk also being an example)…

Now, i’m thinking i don’t really want to be spiking insulin first thing AM, but i have them with 6 whole eggs, and we’re only talking 27g carbs in a tin, so is it really that big a deal? Hmmm… thoughts?

Beans are great, but I would opt for non-baked beans. Kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), navy beans, black beans, etc… all have a lot more nutrients and no refined sugar. Tons of fiber and minerals. Minimal insulin spike. Go great with eggs. :slight_smile:

I love baked beans. I have nothing constructive to add to this discussion but I do love them. It’s the sugars that makes them as good as they are, unfortunately.

Black bean soup runs a close second.

Yup, baked beans are loaded with good old sugar.

I’ve made them homemade, super delicious, because they were loaded with brown sugar. And bacon.

they are possibly the funnest food, have a can or two then it’s going too be a great day :stuck_out_tongue: unless your around the mrs lol

You guys saying there loaded with sugar…
But now you can get reduced sugar and salt versions…?

[quote]andersons wrote:
Yup, baked beans are loaded with good old sugar.

I’ve made them homemade, super delicious, because they were loaded with brown sugar. And bacon.[/quote]

just an FYI…brown sugar is just regular sugar with molassis added . didnt know if you realised that.

but yeah , making them yourself is better than eating them out of a can

Yes, I know that brown sugar is sugar.

Mine were much more delicious than out of a can. Not any healthier or any more diet-friendly.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Yes, I know that brown sugar is sugar.

Mine were much more delicious than out of a can. Not any healthier or any more diet-friendly.[/quote]

Real molasses has lots of good stuff in it, so at least your brown sugar beans have that going for them…

Bake your own beans:

2 cups navy beans
1/2 pound bacon
1 onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.

In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.

Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

Just don’t fart too much in the squat rack; especially if someone is working in with you.

how are these

no sugar added B&M baked beans

0g fat

8g protein

13g carbs+ 8g fiber+ 2g sugar

Well, they are obviously low in sugar. The beans themselves are a great food IMO. But I’m curious, what else is in the ingredient list? Did they use non-calorie sweetener? Do they taste good?