T Nation

Bagsy's Training Log

I’m not trying to defend Jeff here, but don’t you think this describes much of the fitness industry?

3 Likes

It does to the extent that they are all trying to make money, and so is he. Which is fair. But with Jeff, he is literally showing you the wrong thing much of the time because HE is actually fairly good at it when performing it incorrectly or making it needlessly more difficult. Just to let you, the viewer, know how awesome he truly is. With never a shirt in sight, lest you be deprived the vision of his ripply abs, pecs and biceps.

I’ve never watched any of his videos yet have read enough anecdotes on him to agree with you. However, I think we could find plenty more examples. He’s just insanely popular, I think. I never thought I’d see the day where I discuss Athlean-X here lol

1 Like

ES Day 9

Pullup +3kgx2x5
Front squat 95x5, 105x5
Press 55x2x5
Standing ab wheel progression 2x5
KB swing 22kgx2x25

50 band pull aparts
1x10 dips

5 Likes

ES Day 10

Pullup +0x5, +10x3, +15x2
Front squat 90x5, 105x3, 120x2
Press 55x5, 60x3, 65x2 (surprisingly felt like I had 1-2 reps left here)
Standing ab wheel progression 1x5
KB swing 24kgx2x20

8x100m sprints at the track

Slept horribly last night. Tired but wired has returned. My mind is much better at dieting than my body wants to handle. If I had the time and ability to fall asleep, I’d try napping later. The weather already felt like death at 8:30 AM. Summer is the worst.

4 Likes

Very interested to see your progress on this by the way. I’ve been interested in Easy Strength since I first read about it.

I reckon my progress would be far better if I weren’t starving every day lol. But it’s manageable in a deficit, and I bet it would be awesome at maintenance if one wanted to laser focus on a select few lifts. I guess I’m not running it 100% as suggested though because I’m squatting rather than deadlifting.

2 Likes

I ran it with Zerchers, Cleans, Presses, and Ab Wheel earlier in the year. Best gains were on my press (60kg 1RM → 70kgx3RM) Most of the gains really do come at around the day 20 mark.

2 Likes

ES Day 10

Pullup +0x7,3
Front squat 85x10
Press 50x10

50 band pull aparts

I needed something more tonic today. I think that’s the quickest training session I’ve ever had in my life. Lots of DOMS from yesterday’s sprints. Any conditioning work I do now is a tiny victory in my mind though.

3 Likes

You should video this sometime, because I am curious as hell as to what you are doing. You know I am a big fan of the bodyweight stuff, and if you ever manage a full rep…okay, I don’t know how to finish this sentence. I will be proud of you or whatever.

3 Likes

I’m basically doing standing reps without full range of motion. They’re still pretty challenging. I’ll try to record some this week to see how far off I actually am. I think I’m getting there. It definitely will be cool. Then you’ll be telling me to try muscle-ups, right?

1 Like

I will finally buy you that pony you’ve always wanted.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I had a horse girl phase when I was around seven years old. Quickly discovered that horseback riding is not for me. Having a dog or two, however, remains a dream.

1 Like

Too bad dog ownership is out of reach for all but the wealthiest among us.

3 Likes

ES Day 11

Pullups +3kgx2x5
Front squat 90x5, 100x5
Press 57.5x3x3
KB swing 24kgx2x25

My schedule has been absolutely hectic, crammed with long work days since last week and then even into the weekend. I did this session this morning, went to work for a bit, came back, and then did conditioning.

3 mile run 24:07

DOMS finally went away from sprints over the weekend. Not as blisteringly hot as it has been lately… 85 degrees with a “real feel” of 95 felt like a treat. But this still ended up sucking a lot after halfway through, even though that part is mostly downhill. Every time I intentionally lose weight, I learn that conditioning takes more out of me than I think it does.

I think the front squats respond very well to high frequency because despite how little I’m eating and how stressed I am, they feel smoother every day.

5 Likes

I don’t know if that’s sarcasm or not, but there is lots of truth to it. In my case I could afford a dog if I really wanted, but logistically that would not pan out well.

1 Like

ES Day 12

Pullups +3kgx5, +12.5x3, +17.5x2 (PR)
Front squat 90x5, 110x3, 125x2 (PR)
Press 55x5, 60x3, 67.5x1
KB swing 24gx35,20

25 pushups
50 band pull aparts

Proof that I’m good at cheating front squats. Pressing is not going too well overall on this program. I think it’s pointing out that upper body hypertrophy will be more effective than simply improving greasing the groove, but I still have a week to go on this, so I’ll reserve further judgement.

7 Likes

Yeah, that was great, looked strong!

3 Likes

Hell yeah pr city!

1 Like

How exactly does one cheat a front squat?

I really need to know because I suck at them and am morally flexible.

3 Likes