Skip 200

B: 7 rounds
BB complex @50kg (5 each DL, Row, Hang Clean, FS, Press, BS)*
10x elbows-to-knees

C: 4 rounds
500m row**
Skip 150

D: about 45 minutes of bike intervals and skipping

E: The shoulder work that I could do (not much)

*Felt my right trap getting a bit tight, so stopped at 7
** Trap getting tighter, uh oh…

So looks like the cumulative work over the past few days has led me to a trap / neck strain that pretty much wrote this session off for me. I am posting late because I was too sore to sit and type last night. And last night’s sleep was not real fun - every movement of the neck was like fire.

Hopefully will get better throughout the day - feels like a simple over-use injury. Fuck I hate shit like this. Could be worse - will work through it.

30 JUN 09

• Weights in kg

No rest between sets - all giant-style

1. Box step-up 60x(7,4), 70x(5,3), 80x (4,3)
    HS curl (2 leg raise, single lower)
    Incline situp

2. Lunge to step (4inch) 90x6, 110x4/3/3, 90x5
    SL HS curl
    Bicep machine curl (heavy)

3. Hammer strength single leg press x11, x8/6/4/4, x7
    SS with Hammer strength reverse single leg press x8, x6/6/5/5
    BB curl (high reps)

4. Single leg good morning 70x5/5/5/5
    DB curl

5. 25 minutes of bike work and skipping

Took it easy today - trap/neck still tight. Hopefully will be right tomorrow, for some heavier work.

You are working your arse off man, Training looks great!

Thanks man - trying to get the work done while I can. I like using my downtime (time that I am actually at home, and in the office during the day) to train pretty hard.

Neck / trap tight waking up this morning; will see how it loosens up throughout the day.

I should probably put a quote in here - I think Churchill is pretty much the man:

— I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat —

01 JUL 09

Rehab and some high-intensity chest / tri work

I am still unable to do much serious work as my neck/trap is tender and I feel it unwise to push too hard. SO this is like a forced deload…

A) 40 minutes stepper / 1000 rope skips
All mixed up together

B) 25 minutes interval bike / 1000 rope skips
As above, all mixed up

C1) High incline bench 80x10, 90x(12/4)
Cable crunches
C2) Low incline bench 90x9, 100x(13/3)
Cable twists
C3) Flat bench 100x(4,4,4), 100x(5,4,3) - cluster sets
More cable ab work
C4) CG bench 70x8, 70x7, 60x(7,4)
Situps

D1) Cable ring dips - 6 sets
Ab work
D2) Cable flyes - 5 sets
Tricep pushdowns

Pretty light on compared to what I am used to, but a change is as good as a boliday, I guess???

Looking for some heavy squat work tomorrow, maybe throw in some SLDL and box snatch-grip DLs. Aim to work in some vertical upper-body pull work as well, and some cardio. Kind of winging it a bit, but it is not too bad - feels ok and is something a bit different.

I feel like a damn bodybuilder - solid state cardio and isolation work!

02 JUL 09
*Weight in kg

Some leg / back work - kind of a deload, but not…

A) Squat 130x18, 150x12, 170x9, 190x(4/3), 180x6, 160x6
GHRx5
Single-arm lat pulldown

B) SLDL 100x10, 120x8, 140x(7/5)
Wide-grip lat pulldown

C) Front Squat 100x6, 110x5, 120x4, 130x3
Hammer row

D) Snatch Grip platform dead (2 inch) 110x8, 140x(5/6)
Wide-grip cable row

E) Hammer leg press (alternating leg) 2x7 reps or so…

Bit tight in the nexk and trap to start with, but it got better…

Actually not minding this deload - it doesn’t feel too bad. I am still non-stop in the gym, moving between exercises with norest, and still lifting some ok weights, so I guess it is not too bad. I think the lower cals I have been on this week probably make me feel like I am achieving more than I am.

But I am cool with that. I think I am in ok shape for my three week Hawaii trip!

Today - Aristotle:

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Just listened to an Iron radio segment on strongman training. I love strongman - the idea really appeals at all levels. May try some strongman-style conditioning today (in my non-strongman gym). See how we go…

03 JUL 09

Keeping with the theme of the week - something a little different…

Phase A

A) 5 rounds
5 min stepper
Skip x 250

B) 6 rounds
‘Keg’ carry 40m (done with a 50kg DB - fkn hard to carry!)
2.5 x 30m shuttle sprint
10 x squat thrust

C) 4 rounds
500m row
6 x 30m shuttle sprint

D) ~25 minutes of bike sprints and skipping

Phase 2

E) 10 rounds
Push press x5 (60kg)
10 x elbows-to-knees

F) 10 rounds
Dip x 5 (+25kg)
20s cable lumberjacks

G) 3 rounds
CG machine press x 8
Leg raise - dragon flag x 8

H) 3 rounds
WG machine press x 8
V-up x 8

Took a bit of strongman stuff for conditioning, and then some of Nick Nilsson’s stuff for strength work in part 2.
PP weight was a little light - the weight was flying up of my chest.
Can go up in weights - aim is to not be able to complete all sets at 5 reps.

I like this scheme - absolutely non-stop; part 2 was completed in about 38 minutes. 52 sets total. Good intensity, good economy of time spent in gym.

Sprints felt good. Haven’t sprinted really since I retired from aths. Miht have to do some more of this stuff - I realised that I kind of miss the feeling of flying along, floating on air…

04 JUL 2009
*Weights in kg

Normally Saturdays are a light day, and I hit the heavy stuff well-rested on Sunday. Here is my attempt to do it with little rest after abit of neural fratricide…
It is about 38 hours since I squatted heavy. Oh well, into the breach…

A) Deadlift 190x2, 195x2, 200x2*, 210 (fail - oh well), 190x2
Lat pulldown

B) 10 rounds
Squat@150kg (6/6/6/5/5/5/5/5/5/5)
Pull-up +25kg x 3

C) 8 rounds
FS@90kg x 5
HS curl x 5
T-bar row @ 90kg x 5

D) Deficit Jefferson deadlift 110x6/6/6/6
Y-pulldown
V-ups

E) Some lat stretch / pullovers and ‘curls for the girls’ - while talking to my brother (who got in late)

• PR for 2 reps. Happy - second rep was one of those grinders that feels like forever (but was only really about 4 seconds). Why won’t my body straighten itself…?

I did not motivate 210kg sufficiently to have it leave the floor. That is ok. I will get it next time I try!

B and C were kind of like Staley’s EDT - which I think I will use when I feel a little down nd still want to pump out some work. This protocol is so simple and so effective. I used heavier weights than Charles recommends, but I think he would be ok with that.

Am pretty wrecked now - good, as I have a whole day tomorrow flying to Hawaii.
So, I feel good.
And good that Charles Staley would probably approve of m work today.

07 JUL 09

I am in Hawaii. Training is a little weird, because I have been pretty busy, and not had much sleep (6 hours in 60). But no excuses!

So I have hit up a few sessions, trying to do fullbody with some different focuses. This morning was trap bar deads from defecit, push presses, lat pulls, and variations on that theme. Yesterday was squats, chest press, and some cable rows (plus variations on theme). Have been putting conditioning into all workouts, so I can stay on top of things!

Don’t know what the schedule will look like while I am here, but I am hoping to train in the mornings - it gets hot early!

I will see how I go, but I jst bought some protein powder, so might try an alpha-style diet (shakes, withnot much solid food). Dangerous eating here - everything has sugar!!!

[quote]badmf wrote:
07 JUL 09

I am in Hawaii. Training is a little weird, because I have been pretty busy, and not had much sleep (6 hours in 60). But no excuses!

So I have hit up a few sessions, trying to do fullbody with some different focuses. This morning was trap bar deads from defecit, push presses, lat pulls, and variations on that theme. Yesterday was squats, chest press, and some cable rows (plus variations on theme). Have been putting conditioning into all workouts, so I can stay on top of things!

Don’t know what the schedule will look like while I am here, but I am hoping to train in the mornings - it gets hot early!

I will see how I go, but I jst bought some protein powder, so might try an alpha-style diet (shakes, withnot much solid food). Dangerous eating here - everything has sugar!!![/quote]

Man you can burn off anything extras by chasing the natives! There are some hot Hawaiian chicks brother!

I am sure you will do great! just try to make the most of your situation.

AND HAVE FUN MAN!!!

Alpha - Mahalo bro!
Thanks for checkig in - actually having a good time, have seen a lot of stuff already and still have a couple of weeks to go - have to pace myself!

08 JUL 09

Conditioning work.
Sets of rowing / versaclimber / skipping intespersed with sets of high rep light deads, dumbbell snatches, and some other kettlebell-type stuff.

Bought an ab wheel, so might do a few sets on that to see how it goes. Maybe some pullups or something too?

Tomorrow will be a heavy legs / upper body push day, so kind of reasting up for that.

10 JUL 09

So got my squat / horizontal press in yesterday. Squat max was 3 sets 395x4.

Today was energy systems - rowing, complexes, bike sprints, throwing a dumbbell around, skipping…

TOmorrow will be heavy deficit deads, I think (have tomorrow off from work, and thakfully late start SUnday so I will get some quality work done then too). After this weekend, will be rolling into not-much-time; up at 0400 to train. Oh well…

12 JUL 09

Got my deficit deads done yesterday - maxed at about 300lbs for a few reps, a few sets. Was real tired…

Today was some upper body stuff, push press, bench,etc. Feel better, but tired from a big sightseeing day yesterday…

And tomorrow shift work starts, which means training at 0400. Got to do it, right!
Probably some squats complexes, and metabolic work I think.

Yo man!

I bet you are having fun out there. Try to keep the training going regardless of all the distractions. Which is better Bondi or the beaches of Hawaii?

G’day Guhkes,

Good to see you again mate. I am training when I can - up at 0350 to get it done before work - 0600-1830. Got to do it…

Man, Bondi is overrated. Hawaii is very different, but much nicer. I am not a surfer, but there is wildlife and coral and stuff here. At bondi there is toxic waste and too many people. So I vote Hawaii!

Thanks for stopping in again mate!