T Nation

Bad Week at Wrestling/Grappling

This week at my gym was shitty except for Monday’s wrestling. On sunday I had done Rhadi Furgeson’s super-arm protocol, plus dips and chins later. Monday, before wrestling, deadlifting, and I felt fine after.

Tuesday was off and wednesday was a wrestling practice at noon and BJJ later in the day. I did ropes and squats and did shitty in BJJ due to being worn out mentally.

Thursday was a light day in wrestling as the usual coach wasn’t there. I did one scrimmage with a guy and got owned.

Basically, the point of this is to ask for a little help setting up my weight split better and advice on mental strategies to help have a better following week.

When I lose, even in practice, I hate it. Losing in competition makes me very angry and upset. Mentally, what are some things I can do to forget it and move on ?

I am thinking of moving squats to thursday. I lift for high reps, like 12-25 mostly, but I will lift a set or two for single digits like 4-8 reps.

What would you reccomend as a split considering my current split:

Sunday: super-arm (bw pushup/upper body plyo)+ maybe some shadow wrestling
Monday: wrestling 1 1/2 hours
Tuesday:off
Wednesday: Wrestling 1 hour & bjj 1 1/2 hours + squatting
Thursay: wrestling 1 1/2 hours
Friday: Off
Saturday: Off (might work some shadow wrestling)

I had a similar schedule for a period of time. Is this just how you always train or are you preping for a fight?

Try moving your sunday workout to monday (either morning and then do your grappling in the evening, vice versa, or back to back).

Move your squat workout to Saturday or Thursday (if you move it to Thursday, then move your grappling from Thursday to saturday).

So Mon, Wed, Thursday and Saturday will be your workout days.

Losing is a part of learning, try working only on techniques, or only on one technique and drill, drill, drill.

Tell yourself to relax when you’re in bad positions.

The suggested weight split is just an idea, but trying to eliminate workout days back to back should give you a little rest. I almost always grapple on my lifting days so that my body gets the extra time to recover.

Throwing together grappling and weights is always going to be an adjustment. There are things you can do to speed up the transition(the above mentioned split looks good), but partly it just takes time to adjust.

When I first started training, I would lift after getting off work at 4PM, then be at wrestling about 7. It sucked at first, but I got used to it, and even though I got tapped constantly, I would roll through several guys before I got tired.

A) eat lots of food for recovery.

B) relax, losing is part of learning. Instead of getting mad like a child, think about why you lost what you could do better next time. If you don’t start learning you will lose forever, In my club the guys that dont mind losing and are consistent are the ones who advance the fastest. The dudes that get angry cause I tap them or someone else taps them or throws them are the guys who never ever seem to get better, they are to focused on lifting and spazzing out. dont be a spazz, the more advanced guys will not help out a spaz.

I often hold off on tapping newbs that don’t spaz so they can get a chance to use a proper escape. this helps them learn and helps me “feel” for escapes. But if i get a spazzer then I just relentlessly tap the white off their ass. And in the most cruel ways if they start getting too spazzy (think lots of balls in teh face north south subs, and tons of bicep crushers, hard groin cup right in the back from the back mount etc.).

So chill and…

C) strength train in the morning, except squats. I find it’s easier to perform if i keep 6 or so hours between training bouts. I like strength/endurance in the morning and BJJ/wrestling/MMA/w/e in the evening. Do your squats in the afternoon/evening of a day where you hav ethe next day to rest, if you squat heavy or 20-rep style.

Having a double day to rest, as you do, is a good call.

D) try a good multi vitamin like GH multi+ or animal pak. These really really helped my recovery.

E) you might want to get JB’s grapplers nutrition book from grapplergym.com. It’s loaded with some key shit.

F) If it’s not to hokey for you get in some meditation and stretching between training on double training days and rest days. this helped me the most by calming me down so i could mentally recover better. Grappling is a thinking game, get your head clear with some blood flow and soft tissue work to boot.

Good luck mate,

-chris

Thank you for the help, ladies and gents. Much appreciated. Unfortunatley, I work so morning/evening splits may not always be possible. I lift at my grappling club actually. Time to get some weights for home, I think.

I have been training for 7-8 months now and have made some decent progress. It’s just my nature to hate losing. I keep coming back though…day after day. I guess I love the training.

No, I don’t fight in MMA. I hope to one day but, for now, I am focusing on grappling. It’s a long way away, but I want to compete in the Abu Dhabi Combat Trials one day. That’s my goal…I will get there eventually.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
Thank you for the help, ladies and gents. Much appreciated. Unfortunatley, I work so morning/evening splits may not always be possible. I lift at my grappling club actually. Time to get some weights for home, I think.

I have been training for 7-8 months now and have made some decent progress. It’s just my nature to hate losing. I keep coming back though…day after day. I guess I love the training.

No, I don’t fight in MMA. I hope to one day but, for now, I am focusing on grappling. It’s a long way away, but I want to compete in the Abu Dhabi Combat Trials one day. That’s my goal…I will get there eventually. [/quote]

The trials aren’t that hard to get into believe it or not. I know one guy who got in just by selling himself to the people doing the invites. Once he got there it became apparent he was out of place, but he did get there.

Was that AA?

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
Was that AA?[/quote]

Read my mind.