Bad Tattoos

I always lol at the idea that a tat needs to mean something to me for you to accept that it’s OK. You watch far too much Miami Ink.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
My girlfriend just got a stupid looking shooting star tattoo on her foot. All of her friends got the same one to symbolize their friendship, kinda stupid in my opinion.[/quote]

LMAO. In high school a bunch of guys on the football team each year would get shooting stars for offensive players, and skull and cross bones for defensive players (big high school - nobody played both ways unless it was spot duty). Anyway, I just got that damn shooting star covered up with something meaningful 6 months ago…I’m 40.

I never actually regretted it though, it had some meaning at the time.

In highschool, a Junior on my football team tried to emulate the college/pro players who carve/scar/brand their number onto their shoulder. Well, he went ahead and scratched his number into his shoulder, then burnt it with a lighter to make it scar.

It looked terrible because he did a piss-poor job, but here’s what makes it great: We ended up getting new jerseys our Senior year, and the number he now had carved into his arm wasn’t one of the available numbers. Add to that that he never played beyond the highschool level, and you have a dumbass walking around with his Junior year Highschool football number carved into his arm. Awesome.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
I always lol at the idea that a tat needs to mean something to me for you to accept that it’s OK. You watch far too much Miami Ink.

[/quote]

hahahaha!

I have quite a few. The only regrets I have is that I didn’t originally plan to get sleeved, so I could have had a lot bigger ones instead of working the ones I have together.

As long as the person wearing the tat likes it, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks. And for the record, I think chicks with tats are hot as hell.

The only difference between tattooed people and non-tatooed people is that tattooed people don’t care if you don’t have tattoos.

I’ve got a bunch of tattoos. Some very meaningful, some a little meaningful, and some completely random. I don’t have any regrets although theres one that if i saw how it would look before I got it done I probably wouldnt have gotten it.

I don’t like the attention associated with tattoos. I mean its nice from time to time for someone to come up and compliment you’re tattoos, but I don’t enjoy discussing the topic in detail in person.

I have a half sleave which for some reason gives strangers the idea that they can touch my arm. Why, I don’t know but its very annoying. Girls especially. I have a gf and shes cool about it, but if i was in her situation i’d definately be aggitated if guys were all over her side piece.

[quote] Matt wrote:
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tatooed people is that tattooed people don’t care if you don’t have tattoos.[/quote]

I wanted to put this quote up, but I couldn’t remember how it was phrased.

[quote]hedo wrote:
To each his own but I have yet to see a woman who looked better with a tattoo then without it.[/quote]

I think you’d find quite a few people who disagreed.

My favorite tattoo is definately Mr. Jones. When I was a sophmore in college a bunch of my friends planned a skiing trip. We all met at my best friend Mike’s parents house. None of us had ever been there before. We show up and low and behold Mikes mother Bonnie has collected every piece of Mike’s elementary school artwork and displayed them in their bathroom. The funniest piece he made was Mr. Jones.

How can you not laugh when you look at that thing. We snatched it up and our group of friends brought Mr. Jones wherever we went for the rest of our college careers. He had his own spot in our apartment bathroom. He was our college anthem.

i definately disagree. im not saying any tattoo makes any girl look more attractive, but the right tattoo on the right girl definately adds appeal.

hedo wrote:
To each his own but I have yet to see a woman who looked better with a tattoo then without it.

I think you’d find quite a few people who disagreed.

Tramp stamp anyone?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Yeah. It means something, they always mean something.[/quote]

That’s a pretty cool tat.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Yeah. It means something, they always mean something.[/quote]

Not an F-clef?
Thought you were a bass player. :wink:

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
My tattoo isn’t to impress you, or anyone else. [/quote]

Umm, yeah it is.

Why have a display on your body if not to display it to others?

Perhaps it is not to impress others but it is certainly there to communicate something.

Oh, and a Nemo tattoo would be awesome on a chick.

Just a little one somewhere discreet…

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
In highschool, a Junior on my football team tried to emulate the college/pro players who carve/scar/brand their number onto their shoulder. Well, he went ahead and scratched his number into his shoulder, then burnt it with a lighter to make it scar.

It looked terrible because he did a piss-poor job, but here’s what makes it great: We ended up getting new jerseys our Senior year, and the number he now had carved into his arm wasn’t one of the available numbers. Add to that that he never played beyond the highschool level, and you have a dumbass walking around with his Junior year Highschool football number carved into his arm. Awesome. [/quote]

This is the kind of thing I’m talking about. In my junior year of high school, some guys I knew bought their own tattoo gun and had their friends who probably couldn’t draw something well with pen and pencil do the tats for them.

Regarding some other posts:

I don’t want anyone to think that I feel my artistic judgement determines a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ tattoo. Is it fair to say, however, that a tattoo that you get done and regret within a year is bad? I don’t usually go around judging people by what they wear or whatever (not that I shouldn’t be able to if I want to), but plenty of people who I consider close friends get inked up for really light reasons and wish they hadn’t almost immediately.

Am I out of line to say that an 18 year old girl that gets a highly visible tribal design or whatever on a whim will regret it soon, making it a bad choice, thus a bad tattoo? It’s not my skin, so it doesn’t bother me, but when a friend does this, I feel bad for them.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Dirty_Bulk wrote:

To those that do have tattoos, what are they, why did you get them, and do you have any regret of them? Would you get them again? I can never ask people I know these things because I respect that they might be too personal, or they regret getting them and don’t want to discuss them.

If you came up to me with the attitude you expressed here, I wouldn’t discuss this issue with you either.
[/quote]

That’s the whole point of the paragraph you quoted. What I rant about in T-Nation’s off topic forum doesn’t exactly have the tone that I’d approach someone in real life with. I’d like to think that I usually have more tact.

[quote]Mousse wrote:
playmaker08 wrote:
My girlfriend just got a stupid looking shooting star tattoo on her foot. All of her friends got the same one to symbolize their friendship, kinda stupid in my opinion.

LMAO. In high school a bunch of guys on the football team each year would get shooting stars for offensive players, and skull and cross bones for defensive players (big high school - nobody played both ways unless it was spot duty). Anyway, I just got that damn shooting star covered up with something meaningful 6 months ago…I’m 40.

I never actually regretted it though, it had some meaning at the time.[/quote]

Hey! You never told me you had a tattoo.

I really wanted to get a swastika on my chest but people would assume im a Nazi supporter or something. It really means something completely different. Edited:Just realized my avatar doesnt help my case.

My works-in-progress tats are a tribute to my mom, who was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers a few years ago at 57. She’s deteriorating rapidly and when I showed her the first tat, she thanked me. If you want to experience some serious pain, watch your best friend and supporter fade away way too young from this horrendous disease.
I’m always proud to tell anyone who may ask what the meanings are behind them.

Hmm…

Others stupid tats:

Laugh. Go on. You know you want to. Frat curler over there just got a tribal sleeve he’s gonna hate in 6 months.

Chicks with tats:

Someone said they like chicks with tats? Well, I like chicks who are hot. Tats or not.