T Nation

Bad Tattoos

It never fails. The other day I see a some girl I know showing her friends the new ink she got on the back of her neck. She just HAS to show everyone, so I too get a glance at the highly visible, pink-heart embellished design. Yeah, it was one of ‘those’ tattoos.

Worse yet, every other girl interjects with a story about the design she’s getting in two weeks that includes a butterfly, dolphin, fish, or rainbow stars. I can’t judge what these mean for every single person, but I can’t help but think that there’s not a lot of depth behind them.

Every one of these girls is 18-20, and is probably paying for the tat with daddy’s cash. It’s not just the young girls either. Every other 20 something guy I know has a nautical star or decorative cross somewhere on their body. Whenever the subject of tattoos comes up, I have to hear someone say, word for word, ‘yeah I’m definitely getting a tattoo, but I don’t know where or what it’ll be.’ I wish I was kidding.

You can do whatever you want with your body, but I can’t understand why people take getting ink so lightly. I’ve met very few tattooed people that had no regret whatsoever for getting their designs. Even those I know as young as 20 regret what they got done as little as a year before.

Still, tattoos fascinate me, and I think good ones (however you want to define that) are great. However, I don’t really ever see good tattoos. I see a lot of what I cynically view as meaningless, regretful stuff done in the pursuit of a fashion statement.

To those that do have tattoos, what are they, why did you get them, and do you have any regret of them? Would you get them again? I can never ask people I know these things because I respect that they might be too personal, or they regret getting them and don’t want to discuss them.

Have tattoos. Will get more tattoos. Do not regret my tattoos. Don’t see the point in caring if another person got a tattoo for “light” reasons or deep ass soul busting reasons. The worst tattoo I have ever seen on someone else… was not on me. That’s as far as I took that train of thought, and lastly I’ve certainly never cared who paid for their tattoos.

my favorites are patterns around the pelvic region on girls, like little stars or just a design. just put a fucking arrow and be done with it.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
Have tattoos. Will get more tattoos. Do not regret my tattoos. Don’t see the point in caring if another person got a tattoo for “light” reasons or deep ass soul busting reasons. The worst tattoo I have ever seen on someone else… was not on me. That’s as far as I took that train of thought, and lastly I’ve certainly never cared who paid for their tattoos.
[/quote]

That’s cool. I’m glad you don’t have any regrets regarding your own tattoos. However, some of the worst tattoos I’ve seen, while not on me, are on close friends of mine. Unfortunately, most of them have some level of regret for them, and a few are outright embarrassed to show them.

My girlfriend just got a stupid looking shooting star tattoo on her foot. All of her friends got the same one to symbolize their friendship, kinda stupid in my opinion.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
My girlfriend just got a stupid looking shooting star tattoo on her foot. All of her friends got the same one to symbolize their friendship, kinda stupid in my opinion.[/quote]

see it’s that kinda stuff that the OP is talking about. when i was in junior college, a couple of the cleat chasers (baseball groupies for those who aren’t down) got fucking nemo fish on their feet. what???

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
playmaker08 wrote:
My girlfriend just got a stupid looking shooting star tattoo on her foot. All of her friends got the same one to symbolize their friendship, kinda stupid in my opinion.

see it’s that kinda stuff that the OP is talking about. when i was in junior college, a couple of the cleat chasers (baseball groupies for those who aren’t down) got fucking nemo fish on their feet. what???[/quote]

My point on the other thread exactly.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:
It never fails. The other day I see a some girl I know showing her friends the new ink she got on the back of her neck. She just HAS to show everyone, so I too get a glance at the highly visible, pink-heart embellished design. Yeah, it was one of ‘those’ tattoos.

Worse yet, every other girl interjects with a story about the design she’s getting in two weeks that includes a butterfly, dolphin, fish, or rainbow stars. I can’t judge what these mean for every single person, but I can’t help but think that there’s not a lot of depth behind them.

Every one of these girls is 18-20, and is probably paying for the tat with daddy’s cash. It’s not just the young girls either. Every other 20 something guy I know has a nautical star or decorative cross somewhere on their body. Whenever the subject of tattoos comes up, I have to hear someone say, word for word, ‘yeah I’m definitely getting a tattoo, but I don’t know where or what it’ll be.’ I wish I was kidding.

You can do whatever you want with your body, but I can’t understand why people take getting ink so lightly. I’ve met very few tattooed people that had no regret whatsoever for getting their designs. Even those I know as young as 20 regret what they got done as little as a year before.

Still, tattoos fascinate me, and I think good ones (however you want to define that) are great. However, I don’t really ever see good tattoos. I see a lot of what I cynically view as meaningless, regretful stuff done in the pursuit of a fashion statement.

To those that do have tattoos, what are they, why did you get them, and do you have any regret of them? Would you get them again? I can never ask people I know these things because I respect that they might be too personal, or they regret getting them and don’t want to discuss them.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more with you.

Bangkok, Some english bloke had a large almost finished tattoo of Bruce Lee in front of a huge spider web on his back…
It looked like some 5 year old had started it and i could`nt tell who was more drunk the tattooist or him.

Another bad one was done to my friends shoulder by some bar girls brother who supposedly was a good tattooist lol.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:

To those that do have tattoos, what are they, why did you get them, and do you have any regret of them? Would you get them again? I can never ask people I know these things because I respect that they might be too personal, or they regret getting them and don’t want to discuss them.[/quote]

I don’t understand why you sit around judging other people this way. I have two tats, one on each shoulder. They do have meaning and that meaning is none of your business. My goal was not to impress everyone I walk past when I got them even though I do think they look good.

If you came up to me with the attitude you expressed here, I wouldn’t discuss this issue with you either.

Yes, there are many people who get them just to fit into a clique at school or to look trendy. Don’t you think it is a little self righteous and down right stupid to throw everyone you see with one you may not personally approve of in that same category?

Why do you cut and style your hair the way you do? Why do you wear a particular brand of clothing? I am willing to bet your own image isn’t exactly screaming out a disinterest in material things. Clearly there is some deeper meaning to why you look the way you do.


I don’t regret my tattoo!!

Here’s my tattoo. I have it on the outside of my leg. I rowed for 4 years and was the treasurer for my team for 2 of those years. Clemson crew is very much like a family so it means a lot to me.

I got it on the outside of my leg so people rowing next to us knew who they were getting passed by :slight_smile:

To each his own but I have yet to see a woman who looked better with a tattoo then without it.

My guy would disagree. He’s currently trying to talk me into a half sleeve instead of the back tatt I have planned.

I’ve seen what I think are really stupid tatts because I personally wouldn’t get them. But if the flaming rose on your left shoulder means something to you, who am I to judge it?

[quote]sic wrote:

I’ve seen what I think are really stupid tatts because I personally wouldn’t get them. But if the flaming rose on your left shoulder means something to you, who am I to judge it?[/quote]

to me, if it means something to you, no problem. i can’t stand the “clique” part prof x brought up though (not the point itself, i didn’t word that well). crewpierce that would make sense to me because you have a story behind it (4 years of rowing) but what do fish blowing bubbles and stars and matching hibiscus plants have to do with anything?

sure it may be judgmental, but i don’t feel bad at all thinking “what the hell” if i ask someone about their tattoos and they say “yeah i’m going to get another one but i don’t know what it is yet or where it’s going to be, but my appointment is today”, and then show up the next day with a chinese character that someone had to suggest to them. sorry.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I don’t understand why you sit around judging other people this way. I have two tats, one on each shoulder. They do have meaning and that meaning is none of your business. My goal was not to impress everyone I walk past when I got them even though I do think they look good.[/quote]

IMO you could have stopped right there. but from what i can see in these days, the point is that a ton of people (who knows if it’s more or less than it used to be) don’t put much thought into theirs. obviously you do, and that’s definitely a good thing.


Yeah. It means something, they always mean something.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
they always mean something.[/quote]

That includes the high school cliques. I have friends that have gotten tats at certain times in their lives. A lot of military get them when they finish boot camp. You may not agree with WHAT the tat is of, but it is foolish to think someone got it and that it has no significance whatsoever.

I nominate Brock Lesnar for worst tattoo ever.

My tattoo isn’t to impress you, or anyone else.