Bad Supplement Combinations?

Read somewhere that taking zinc and calcium together is counter productive as one lessens the effect of the other.

I take Fish Oils, ZMA and vit D, but try to keep them apart - but can’t always keep that big a gap.

1. Anything I shouldn’t take with any of the above as it decreases their effectiveness?

2. Any other poor combos that others on here might need to know about?

There’s only so much cal and mag combined you can absorb at one time; also, cal is constricting, mag is relaxing, so cal morning and/or afternoon, mag w/zinc before bed. Even avoiding high cal food or pro powder at dinner might be a good idea.

Cal also inhibits absorption of iron, so avoid cal before and after beef if you want the iron. Vit C helps you absorb iron, again if you want that.

Vit D at lunch, cuz that’s when you’d get it from sunlight (UVB).

Omega 3 anytime, but if it gives you energy, right before bed might be a bad idea.

Zinc and copper are antagonists, so separate them if you take copper (I find taking zinc but not copper keeps me balanced, and I don’t even eat high-copper foods).

word on the street is that calcium supplementation for males will eventually cause heart problems. Id have to go through notes to find out the how and why though

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
word on the street is that calcium supplementation for males will eventually cause heart problems. Id have to go through notes to find out the how and why though[/quote]
Word. Heard over 1 gram a day can have colon related side effects on men as well.

Thank you. That’s the sort of thing I was looking for.

Cheers for the advice, gents.

I’ve also heard that Caffiene counters the effects of Creatine. caffiene being a constrictor/diaretic and creatine being an absorber counter each other. So avoid loading creatine and coffee together around your work out.

Avoid fish oil around your workout.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Avoid fish oil around your workout.[/quote]

How come?

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

How come?[/quote]

I remember reading it an article, I don’t particularly remember the specifics as to why too well.

From what I recall, you should avoid taking fish oil when your insulin sensitivity is already high.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

How come?[/quote]

I remember reading it an article, I don’t particularly remember the specifics as to why too well.

From what I recall, you should avoid taking fish oil when your insulin sensitivity is already high.

[/quote]

I seem to recall reading that pain meds for DOMS were found to inhibit muscle gains; they said the inflammation was necessary. So, o-3’s being anti-inflammatory, maybe that’s why…

note: not saying to avoid all the time, but maybe right before and after lifting? ← conjecture

[quote]Jeffrey of Troy wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]hastalles wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

How come?[/quote]

[/quote]

I seem to recall reading that pain meds for DOMS were found to inhibit muscle gains; they said the inflammation was necessary. So, o-3’s being anti-inflammatory, maybe that’s why…

note: not saying to avoid all the time, but maybe right before and after lifting? ← conjecture[/quote]

Makes sense, thanks!

On the low days of my carb cycling, I take 3g of fish oils at every meal (5 meals) and on my low days I am supposed to do my workouts.