Bad Squat Form?

Hello All

It has recently been brought to my attention that my squat technique is shit!

Basically I squat barefoot. I bend my legs until my hips lock at which point my torso bends forward. Basically a squat-good morning abomination. Yet I find that I have been able to reach a very high lift weight in this manner - ie 484 lbs for 3 reps at 171 lbs bodyweight.

So my question is… does anyone squat in this way at all? How should I proceed? Should I elevate my ankles and practise squatting upright?

Your help is highly appreciated.

A 484 lb “squat-good morning” for 3 reps at 171 lb body weight ?

This hurts just thinking about it.

I/we need to see this…definitely post a vid.

Only way you’ll get some constructive feedback.

It would be helpful to see. If it passes in competition and there isn’t increased risk for injury then it wouldn’t matter. It would probably have good carryover to your deadlift. If lifting that way doesn’t help your performance in competition then it would be worth it to consider making changes.

well post a video of your shitty squat

Layne Norton, world champ, is pretty good at the ‘good morning’ squat

Forward to 12:49

If you’ve been injury free up to the numbers your at, at 170 lbs, I say keep at it.

Post a vid though.

Layne’s back is strong as fuck. It’s pretty cool to see him make that work.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Shit! That is literally exactly how I squat a la Norton. I am so confused.

[quote]IronOne wrote:
Layne Norton, world champ, is pretty good at the ‘good morning’ squat

Forward to 12:49

If you’ve been injury free up to the numbers your at, at 170 lbs, I say keep at it.

Post a vid though.[/quote]

what exactly are you confused about? And for fucks sake, post a video. I, for one, am not willing to believe a guy with 2 posts on here is squatting 484x3 with shitty form to a reasonable depth until I see it. Prove me wrong.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
what exactly are you confused about? And for fucks sake, post a video. I, for one, am not willing to believe a guy with 2 posts on here is squatting 484x3 with shitty form to a reasonable depth until I see it. Prove me wrong.[/quote]

It would be as competitive as the USAPL Raw Open American Record of 513 @ 163. I have my doubts as well. I would still be impressed even if it were slightly high.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
what exactly are you confused about? And for fucks sake, post a video. I, for one, am not willing to believe a guy with 2 posts on here is squatting 484x3 with shitty form to a reasonable depth until I see it. Prove me wrong.[/quote]

It would be as competitive as the USAPL Raw Open American Record of 513 @ 163. I have my doubts as well. I would still be impressed even if it were slightly high.[/quote]

I would too. My guess is it’s more than slightly high. When I squatted 513 at a 181 bodyweight, I probably couldn’t double 484, much less triple it. Even if I cut the lift slightly high. And my form is pretty damn solid.

That Norton Squat is similar to how I Squat. Kind of half between that and a traditional bodybuilding Squat. But unlike Norton I do not do so intentionally, when I am not dieting and ready to get back to adding lbs what would I need to do to make my body work efficiently in the traditional Squat?

In our gym we have a saying “if a tree falls in the forest…” which is what we use in these circumstances. Video or it didn’t happen?! But seriously impressive if it did.

alexcheboub post a video!