T Nation

Bad Lower Back Pain

About 2 weeks ago as I finished my warm up set for squats, I racked the weight and my lower back just started hurting like a bitch…really sharp pain. I went to the doctor, he told me it’s a muscle spasm and told me to take a muscle relaxant each night and to alternate between icing and heating my back. I’ve been doing that every night and have noticed almost no improvement. Doctor says to keep doing the same thing, but I don’t have much confidence that it will help my back. Any advice on what I could do to relieve pain? Or will I just have to keep doing what I’m doing for awhile?

Dude i had the same thing, thought it was a muscle, kept on training and training, eventually went to a physio and they thought it was a slight disk tear, went to chiro, they thought the same thing, eventually went to sports institute and saw a sports physician, next thing they MRI and it was a disk tear!!! From squats and deadlift, just training to hard and not DELOADING! If you feel sharp pains like bending over, near your L2 (lumbar area of ur spine) and the pain kinda shoots into ur glutes, then i would get a physio opinion hey, maybe MRI scan with a physician… just my thoughts bud, if i never went to professionals id be fucked beyond belief.

[quote]T.Cal wrote:
About 2 weeks ago as I finished my warm up set for squats, I racked the weight and my lower back just started hurting like a bitch…really sharp pain. I went to the doctor, he told me it’s a muscle spasm and told me to take a muscle relaxant each night and to alternate between icing and heating my back. I’ve been doing that every night and have noticed almost no improvement. Doctor says to keep doing the same thing, but I don’t have much confidence that it will help my back. Any advice on what I could do to relieve pain? Or will I just have to keep doing what I’m doing for awhile? [/quote]

I get this occasionally … in fact I have a spasm right now. Sometimes it will be bad enough to cause one hip to rise and appear crooked. I’ve found that icing, stretching, and foam rolling for several days loosen it up.

The key is in prevention. Foam roll and stretch, before and after squatting/deadlifting. Do “enough” (whatever that is for you) warm-up sets before your working set(s).