Bad Knees

A good friend of mine, who is in his early 50’s, suffers from some type of arthritis in both knees. Realistically, he is a prime candidate for full knee replacements. However, he has about 5 more years to work and doesn’t want to have the surgery fearing it might force him to retire prematurely. He’s already had all of the injections that work temporarily.

He really wants to get back in shape, but doesn’t know what to do for lower body workouts since practically all of the conventional exercises cause pain. He is probably 30 pounds overweight, so I suggested getting weight down. Beyond that, I don’t know how to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Scott

fish oil, glucosamine, make those staples, try and do single leg variations for strength and stability and take it easy on the knee

[quote]Thishurts wrote:
A good friend of mine, who is in his early 50’s, suffers from some type of arthritis in both knees. Realistically, he is a prime candidate for full knee replacements.

He really wants to get back in shape, but doesn’t know what to do for lower body workouts since practically all of the conventional exercises cause pain. He is probably 30 pounds overweight, so I suggested getting weight down. Beyond that, I don’t know how to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Scott[/quote]

If he is healthy and not taking any medications for any diseases:

Assuming he eats 3 meals a day

1. 1g Vitamin C at each meal
  2. 300mg bromelain at each meal
  3. 200mg hyaluronic acid at each meal
  4. 2 ZMA at night before bed
  5. strawberries, blueberries, pineapple
  6. fish oil high in EPA and DHA (cod liver oil is excellent)
  7. sit at desk with ankle weights starting with one pound and work up to 10 pounds
    elevate foot off ground until leg is parallel with floor and the leg is no longer
    bent at the knee. 3 sets of 10 reps each leg
  8. 5 minutes heat/5 minutes cold for one hour after exercise.
  9. Walk 30 minutes a day.
  10. Portion control in his calorie intake, more fibrous carbohydrates, more water in his diet.

PM me if you want more details.