Bad Ideas

Thank you very much for the information. I know you are very busy teaching and starting a family. I am certainly not going to whine about my little problems, but, I have collected a number of minor work injuries that are hampering my ability to move. ex: took some minor sharpnel in my left knee about two years ago, noticed yesterday it has started “sticking” stepping up into a "copter’. I have been focusing on the big lifts for well over a year and I am not sure it is helping, noticed that my ability to “cut corners” on a room is not as fluid, etc, etc, just feel like I need to focus on another direction ( or I am justing getting old and used up) All my workouts are geared toward tactical ability and those gears are not working as well. Thanks again for your advise, I will research Mr. Sommer when I get in this afternoon.

It sounds like the program would fit very well with your goals then. One thing it does, which I have not really seen from others (with the exception of some of his former students like Ido Portal) is that it specifically focuses on “improper alignment strength.” In other words, that "inability to ‘cut corner’ " that you spoke of is an important function of a healthy knee, but it is not only not addressed by things like barbell squatting, but it is flat out considered heresy by the majority of strength coaches/programs out there. Sommer is the first Strength coach that I have seen/heard not only acknowledge that such movements are an inevitability but also prescribe specific exercises to “bullet proof” those ranges of motion through targeted strength/mobility work.

Definitely check it out when you get the chance.

Sento / Irish,
Thanks for the good information. I was able to do a little research yesterday on Sommer and Le Corre. I am going to start making some changes and start using some plans by both instructors.

Sento,
Don’t sell any of Sommer’s books, I saw one on Amazon yesterday for around 600 dollars! Keep it long enough you can finance your child’s first year of college.

Irish,
watched a youtube of Le Corre, Damn, that guy’s feet are tougher than my boots, holy shit, running over those rocks barefoot. much respect.

Wow! Good to know! I’ve still got my copy of his original book and accompanying DVD’s in great condition; definitely gonna hang on to those! :wink:

His online courses are much more systematic and wholistic than what was in his book/DVD’s though. So save your money on the book and get the online courses of you’re gonna drop some cash.

Mapwrap,
I am leaving for the training range today, been watching CNN since the Dallas shooting broke. My sincere sadness for the loss of your brothers. If you get a chance over the next few days, let me know you made it through, I know SWAT will be on duty for several days. Be careful, my brother.

Idaho,

I’m still here. So far, I’m good. It’s been a tense few days, and we still have more on the horizon. I don’t generally advertise, but I don’t work in Dallas. I work in the large “twin city” to the west of Dallas. We are actually getting geared up for a big protest scheduled for today.

I appreciate the thoughts. I’ll get back on the net as soon as I’m able.

Stay safe, brother.

1 Like

Hello all. Hope everyone is well in these dark times. Just wanted to check in. Done training and finally out in the field. Feels good. Be safe.

1 Like

Congrats, batman! I remember reading a while back that you had gotten accepted…I am wondering how you enjoyed the training? Can you share what it was like at all? Good luck with your new profession as well! Stay safe!

Thanks Brother. It was a long road, but I got there. I can’t share any details about the training, but I enjoyed it overall.

6 months away from home was tough for me at times, but a lot of guys i the military give much more much more often, so I can’t complain.

Had some excellent instructors, so I was fortunate in that regard. I’m under no illusions that I actually know what I’m doing at this point, but I’ve got a good field trainer to sort me out.

Everyone in the RCMP gets about a week of IARD (active shooter response essentially) and a week of patrol carbine on the C8 (basically an M4) right after they graduate the academy.

I’ve got nothing to compare to, but I found that training to be outstanding and really enjoyable and I feel really fortunate to have gotten it right at the start of my service. It may very well save my life or someone else’s.

Can’t say how proud and excited I am to actually be out there doing stuff. My watch is solid and my post is busy. Huge rural area and lots going on. Most shifts you run from call to call, which suits me fine. I signed up to do police work, and there seems to be a abundance of that.

Had to move across the country, which came as a bit of a surprise. But I like where we landed and I gotta say I feel pretty blessed.

Be safe.

2 Likes

May God Bless You and keep you safe!

Congratulations Brother! I know you worked long and hard to acheive your goal. You set an example for the rest of us with your dedication and drive… Be safe, never stop learning, and watch your 6, your 12 and everything in between. Dont be a stranger.

Very impressive something to emulate really. Thank you for inspiring us to be good in this sport.

Congrats on making it through the academy and getting out into the field! Thank you for your service. Stay safe brother.

Thanks for the kind words all. Idaho, definitely agree with the never stop learning sentiment. It’s alarming how quickly I lost my training momentum after I finished the academy. I was a little saturated from the tempo there.

Nothing was too difficult there in and of itself, but it was cumulative. Really easy to justify/rationalize along the lines of “I’ll take a few days off to decompress, recover, reconnect with family, deal with the move, adapt to shift work etc.”

Then a few days became a few weeks and it’s like “holy shit, I’ve done nothing almost outside work to improve in almost a month.” Unacceptable. Getting back in the saddle now, but it takes time.

Stay dangerous. Be safe.

Some interesting methods on training for fear.

http://strongswiftdurable.com/all-articles/foreign-military-methods-fear-inoculation/?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=33177275&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8iSKahtAqPFerisj66lZnqQLdABzcBgGdyz5752yd56ql56JUMFjl_0G3RlF1hk55vNsVfdmJEEQOST_E0EdLO3sl_FA&_hsmi=33177275

Well, if this wasn’t so bad, it would be funny and the sad thing is, it was listed on a very reputable science website. A couple of quotes:

“Anyone can use these ‘NERVE’ game-changing secrets – it doesn’t matter how old, big or weak you are. If you defend using the attacker’s nervous system against them, you don’t need size or strength!”

“It doesn’t matter if you’ve never trained before – you see, it’s simple to learn…meaning you can learn this material, and have the kind of power that few black-belts even have – almost overnight!”

http://www.selfdefenceexposed.org/aikido/?gclid=CL6t0OaV3M4CFVdZhgoddesBLg

batman 730 congrats on your completion of academy work

Idaho- that link on fear training is priceless.

fear is the mindkiller

on movnat- Ive been doing Ido Portal crap since 2006-2007
he used to blog more about how to do progressions.

Im diminished - in alll manner of training- no way around it.
hard to type - harder to take.

If I could do OH squat - hanging leg raise - Big squat - trap bar carry - sled push - sled pull and shit ton of rings/TRX
2x a week shit Id be thrilled.

those are the ‘lifts" I think do the ‘most’ for me.
add in a shit ton of PVC pipe LX ball and an ass ton of crawls and ’ tumbling’ Id be happy.

Some decent thoughts on life long training, dealing with injuries, and following a training model regardless of your age:

http://strongswiftdurable.com/all-articles/still-professional-athlete-thoughts-senior-military-officer/?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=33482922&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--DmbyTUcyUe-xUNBXu3gimckm-tOaiSITKdv3Quc03wGMh-KVQ2k8xU8ZvRjkg5wmtQHvkfVE9mWTsoH4ipl-7nQiuoA&_hsmi=33482922

Ugh! Yeah, any time someone completely dismisses the effects that attributes (speed, power, size, conditioning, etc…) have on effectiveness in combat it should raise some red flags.

That said, the comment about the nervous system being the “ultimate” target for self defense does hold some truth (since it controls all other bodily systems). But, the notion that simply “knowing” about targeting it is going to make someone instantly able to take down any opponent regardless of physical attributes is the worst kind of hyperbole.

Even something like shooting someone in the head with a bullet is going to require significant training (unless you are talking about just walking around with your gun already drawn and just walking up to unsuspecting victims putting the muzzle to their skull and shooting them in the head before they realize what is happening which would be called “murder” rather than “self defense”; and even then things like misfires, ability to sneak up on people, etc…are still going to require some degree of skill or contingency planning). Everything else is going to require the ability to create kinetic energy, accuracy, speed to some extent, control of distance, timing, and a whole bunch of other skill sets that may be heavily influenced by attributes.

It’s crap like this that makes combat athletes dismiss RMA skills though.

Thank you for the insights and I was curious about your last statement. As someone who loves combat sports and to use a term in the link I provided above, I strive to be the best “tactical athlete” I can be, which is the lastest buzz word in the military/LEO field.

I for one, wish I had access to a qualifiled RMA school and cannot understand anyone dismissing that training. Anyway, you comment came at a time, when there is much discussion in the Spec Ops world on what is best.

Would really like to get your take on it. I am going to post a couple of links on the political crap that is going on right now. The Duane Dieter system was developed in the 80’s, been around forever, but, like anything else it has it good points and bad. I been through it, there is a hell of lot worse out there.