Bad Ideas

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
“Everytime I log on for news in the states, another US police officer has been killed, two in Louisiana in the past few days. Be Sharp, Stay safe”.

For the Canadian Police brothers here --Same for you, be safe

This is just so Fucking bad:

Sheriff's deputy shot while pumping gas at patrol car | CNN

[/quote]

Fucking tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to those directly affected.

Be safe.

[/quote]

RIP Deputy Goforth.

I’m happy to see the community came together for him and his family.

[/quote]

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they managed to mourn their loss without burning their city down as well.

[/quote]

At a gas station no less. Things could have really ignited.

I have been LEO/ Military all my adult life. I will continue to strive to be the best professional I can be and will always follow to the laws of my country, however, deep down in the darkest corners of my heart, I know that if you are: LEO, Military, Firefighter, or any job that requires you to enforce rules, the “public” could give a shit less if you live or die.

[quote]idaho wrote:
I have been LEO/ Military all my adult life. I will continue to strive to be the best professional I can be and will always follow to the laws of my country, however, deep down in the darkest corners of my heart, I know that if you are: LEO, Military, Firefighter, or any job that requires you to enforce rules, the “public” could give a shit less if you live or die. [/quote]

My woman’s cousin paid the ultimate price in Afghanistan 7 years ago yesterday. When he died, the entire city mourned him. His procession filled countless overpasses as he made his way down the Highway of Heroes. Businesses wrote his name on their signs. You couldn’t find a Canadian flag above half mast anywhere in the city. Thousands attended his funeral. The local hockey arena commemorated him by naming a rink after him, a huge honour for any Canadian. When you say his name in his hometown, everyone knows. Everyone remembers.

I share your thoughts from time to time, and I hate going there. It pisses me off when people talk about celebrities or TV shows when cops, soldiers, firefighters are dying protecting the people they serve. I remember when 9/11 happened. First responders and military were heroes. That eventually subsided and everyone went back to shopping and American Idol. When things are good, we are loathed. When they are bad, we are loved. It’s a Catch 22.

idaho, I hope everything is well with you. Know that people do care about what you’re doing. You know better than most that the work you do is rarely noticed until it stops, and it can never stop. You’ve been at this for a long, long time. I probably don’t know anyone as committed and dedicated to the cause as you. You’re a professional warrior and not too many people understand it. People are unaware and separated from the evil of the world because of guys like you. For all you’ve done and sacrificed, thank you. I know you weren’t looking for this, but you probably don’t hear it enough.

I hope I’m not rambling. I’ve had a long day and just came in from a jog.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
I have been LEO/ Military all my adult life. I will continue to strive to be the best professional I can be and will always follow to the laws of my country, however, deep down in the darkest corners of my heart, I know that if you are: LEO, Military, Firefighter, or any job that requires you to enforce rules, the “public” could give a shit less if you live or die. [/quote]

My woman’s cousin paid the ultimate price in Afghanistan 7 years ago yesterday. When he died, the entire city mourned him. His procession filled countless overpasses as he made his way down the Highway of Heroes. Businesses wrote his name on their signs. You couldn’t find a Canadian flag above half mast anywhere in the city. Thousands attended his funeral. The local hockey arena commemorated him by naming a rink after him, a huge honour for any Canadian. When you say his name in his hometown, everyone knows. Everyone remembers.

I share your thoughts from time to time, and I hate going there. It pisses me off when people talk about celebrities or TV shows when cops, soldiers, firefighters are dying protecting the people they serve. I remember when 9/11 happened. First responders and military were heroes. That eventually subsided and everyone went back to shopping and American Idol. When things are good, we are loathed. When they are bad, we are loved. It’s a Catch 22.

idaho, I hope everything is well with you. Know that people do care about what you’re doing. You know better than most that the work you do is rarely noticed until it stops, and it can never stop. You’ve been at this for a long, long time. I probably don’t know anyone as committed and dedicated to the cause as you. You’re a professional warrior and not too many people understand it. People are unaware and separated from the evil of the world because of guys like you. For all you’ve done and sacrificed, thank you. I know you weren’t looking for this, but you probably don’t hear it enough.

[/quote]

Will,
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I am ok. You know, when you lose a life over here, or someone loses an arm or leg from an IED, it is kind of expected or at least rationalized better. Its when I read the news in the States and the growing violent deaths of police officers, it just makes my blood boil, along with your brothers in Canada. I havent spent that much time in Canada, but, I have worked a couple of issues with the RMCP. I know this sounds silly, but, Canada has always seemed more “civilized” than my part of the States, and killing a cop there is really a crime against your society. Hell, people in the US seem to want cops to die. I often wonder how they would cope with a predatory society without cops, then, I guess, all lives would matter? dickheads.

Part of the problem is the rise of ISIS, AQAP, Boko Haram, Taliban, Feral Extremist Dogs ( I refuse to call them lone wolfs), it seems you kill one and ten take their place, and, the world’s governments just stand by and let the slaughter continue. It gets weary. (lol.Pity Party for me) enough ranting and crying, I got to go to work. I am glad your community supported the fallen soldier and I am grateful his family received that support. Again, thank you for the kind words and be safe.

[quote]Will207 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:

[/quote]

I would echo everything that Will has said here. I don’t have as personal an example, but reading your post idaho, I immediately thought of Cst’s Ross, Gevaudan and Larche of the RCMP. They were tragically gunned down in Moncton, NB on June 4, 2014.

Despite a few pretty rough years PR-wise for the RCMP, when the news hit the whole nation felt gut-punched. I live on the opposite coast and people here were reeling. The outpouring of love and support actually chokes me up even now as I write about it.

Idaho, I’ve not been where you’ve been, seen what you’ve seen nor done what you’ve done. That said, I still believe in my core that, deep down, the average, decent person supports the police. He may bitch about the ticket he got or the latest news story but deep down he knows that without the sheepdogs who go out into the dark to push back the ugliness, the violence and the chaos for a just a little longer, life would be unliveable. It’s dirty, dangerous, thankless work much of the time. Nonetheless, when push comes to shoot, the overwhelming majority of people still know who has their backs.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Stay strong and be safe, brother.

Just caught up with this. Can’t add much to what Batman370 and Will207 said. We may only have an online community here, but your words and advice have impacted many lives, mine included Idaho, and I’m sure I speak for everyone who posts in our little corner here when I say you have my profound respect and sincere appreciation for everything you do, and the man you show yourself to be. Stay safe, and deadlift. All the best, brother.

Batman, Will, and Londonboxer,
Good posts and I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I had to drop off some paperwork at the JAG office yesterday and met a soldier who lost his leg(below the knee) to an IED in Iraq. Went through rehab for months, now back on active duty. The amount of willpower to accomplish that feat is unbelievable. When I meet people like this, whatever I am doing pales in comparison to their success. True heros, who fight a daily battle just to walk and work, seeing them makes you realize your problems are just petty crap. All of you stay sharp. On another subject:

I wish Robert A would get his butt back here, I really miss his wit, wisdom, and advice.

It’s still hard to believe what happened in New York City fourteen years ago today. I’ll never forgot the way I felt watching the live footage of what was unfolding on our brothers and sisters south of the border. You’re all in my thoughts today.

some good news for a change:

Just wish the missile had been ours:

meant to post in the weight cutting thread- none the less

that was a good link

Very Bad:

My condolences to the families and to the firemen on this forum.

A final, respectful salute to a true American Warrior. May you rest in peace my brother, with everything you have given throughout your life, your dedication, your courage, your sense of duty, sends a clear message for the rest of us to follow.

I’m sure he never complained about it, but you do have to wonder what the heck we are doing when we are sending guys like this on their 14th deployment…that’s an absurd number of combat deployments, and I’m sure there are plenty of guys who have more than that.

What a shame. My prayers go out to his family…the story said he left behind a wife and 4 sons.

[quote]mapwhap wrote:
I’m sure he never complained about it, but you do have to wonder what the heck we are doing when we are sending guys like this on their 14th deployment…that’s an absurd number of combat deployments, and I’m sure there are plenty of guys who have more than that.

What a shame. My prayers go out to his family…the story said he left behind a wife and 4 sons. [/quote]

Mapwrap,
Good to hear from you and I hope the new assignment is working out for you. You are absolutely correct, he was deployed way over the limit of logic. IMHO, and no disrespect to any other military personnel, but, the ACTUAL fighting is done by a very small majority. The old military slogan of “Army Strong” “be all you can be” and other dribble is fine if you are in a non combat supporting role, yes, you are vital, and yes, it takes 8 to 10 support personnel to sustain one war fighter, but, that one war is expected to do all the fighting, mission after mission. And another thing I have noticed in war zones, superiors find out you are good at something, dedicated, and do the job, then they will do anything to keep you in place.

War has changed, we will be fighting terrorism until the radicals destroy everything. Its time to change our forces where the vast majority actually fight the fight, instead of supporting the elite few. If this had been our strategy in WW2, we would be speaking German. Just my 2 cents and is probably no even worth that much.

I am attaching a short video that has been leaked to NBC news. It supposedly shows part of the raid, looks like every other goat palace I have ever been in, narrow killing hallways and multiple doors.

I hope you are and your family are doing well. The last we communicated, you team was evaluating a weapons/ammo change, any decisions? Be safe, stay sharp.

Yep…I’m still living the dream, buddy!! Every day a holiday, every paycheck a fortune, every meal a feast…

No decisions made yet on the weapon system, except we are staying with a 5.56 platform.

Hope you’re doing ok…just saw the news this morning about a massive earthquake over there. Hope you’re alright. Check in when / if you get a second.

[quote]mapwhap wrote:
Yep…I’m still living the dream, buddy!! Every day a holiday, every paycheck a fortune, every meal a feast…

No decisions made yet on the weapon system, except we are staying with a 5.56 platform.

Hope you’re doing ok…just saw the news this morning about a massive earthquake over there. Hope you’re alright. Check in when / if you get a second.[/quote]

Mapwrap,
Thanks for asking, I am ok. I was in the best possible place, outside and about 150 miles away. Four of us had just got off a bird and were walking across an old soccer field they were using as a LZ. We were approaching the CP, when the first tremor went through. I really didn’t know what was happening for several seconds, just that my balance was really screwed up, finally realized what it was, when I saw a T-Wall fall over. This was my first experience with a tremor/earthquake and it was weird as hell, like trying balance yourself on a surfboard, or walk around after too many beers. Two of the guys I was with were carrying heavy rucks and they fell on their butts. I was told the tremors lasted anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute, felt a hell of a lot longer to me:)). Stay sharp.

Yup…only experienced one myself. I was out at NTC in Fort Irwin, CA. My team was trying to get some sleep, so we racked out on the hood and cargo lid on our Humvee. Next thing you know, the whole thing started shaking. We thought somebody was screwing with us, but when we jumped off and looked around, nobody was there. Got talking with the other teams, and figured out what it was.

They are just so odd, cos they hit out of nowhere. Talk about a feeling of no control…

Anyway, glad you are good to go. Be safe, bro.

Well, this is certainly “Bad” and a finalist for “Moron of the Year Award”…LOL.

38 reconstructive surgeries, walked across Scotland, Wales, and England for the Wounded Warriors, rated fifth in the world in snowboarding for the para Olympics. The next time you are with someone bitching and whining about something trivial, have them read this article. What a true warrior.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Well, this is certainly “Bad” and a finalist for “Moron of the Year Award”…LOL.

[/quote]

VERY bad idea.