Bad Ideas

Sento,

Great post.

I had a similar “Why are you hitting the chin than punching a bicep?” question about an Indonesian demo a while ago. The answer was “If they are still there than they would be throwing this (arm/fist/weapon) so defang…” I sort of smiled and nodded.

I don’t know if there is any similar thought process behind the Keysi demos or not. Even if that is the idea it strikes me as really flowery and not terribly practical, especially for an art trying to champion simplicity.

Now in the interest of comedy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

-IMO any fighting system that translates well to the screen (Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy)[/quote]

This makes me doubt your post, actually all your posts.

There is no fucking way what ended up on the screen in Dark Knight Rises translated well unless the original text was “Show suck, fail, and AIDS” in interpretive dance form.

Do you not remember the Catwoman and Batman roof fight? What about the “epic” Bane and Batman fight?

Cowboy punches and grunting.

The best part of that third movie was it gave rise to this clip. Which we should all watch and be thankful for.

Regards,

Robert A

Yeah, the truth is that a lot of martial arts teach things (and even effective things) which, when really looked at through the lense of directness, simplicity, timeframe and entanglement, and just “why am I doing this here” are actually over-complications and inefficient uses of energy and in many cases show a limited or even incorrect understanding about the nature of combat. This is also sometimes where the “art” aspect of Martial Arts can get out of hand.

A concept like “defanging the snake” is a fine concept, it’s when people turn it into a law or make it the goal of the encounter where it becomes problematic. Yes, damaging a weapon or weapon wielding limb can be a good way to cause a momentary pain freeze or decrease the danger posed by that weapon, but ultimately the goal must still be to either escape, restrain/control and maintain control for apprehension, or take out the opponent’s ability to see, breathe, and ultimately think (take out the real “weapon”, which renders all it’s tools harmless). If the limb or tool is an immediate threat (swinging, slashing, punching, kicking, grabbing, etc… at you), then of course you need to deal with the initial threat first, but once you gain access to the eyes, breathing apparatus, or brain, your primary goal needs to be to keep going after that until either you stop the opponent(s), or you encounter some form of obstruction/threat that must be dealt with, after which back to the vital functions we go again.

Regarding TDKR, yeah, not my favorite Batman movie (though I would rather watch it 200 times in a row before watching either of those Joel Schumaker atrocities). Still though that it was an ok way to end the story though (well, minus the whole completely unrealistic plot holes).

That second clip is funny though (if you like raunchy humour), I’ve seen that a few times. :slight_smile:

Ha! I hadn’t seen that one…funny stuff, right there!!

Ah…the Batman…why is it so hard to get him right on film? I actually liked Batman Begins, the best (KFM aside, of course). I thought all ot the fight scenes in the last one were freakin HORRIBLE! Especially when Tom Hardy talked about all the prep he did for them, and made it sound like Bane was gonna be such a badass.

Oh well…not every superhero movie can be The Avengers, eh?

That’s right…I said it…take that, DC fanboiz!!!

I like Batman Begins the most out of the 3 from a total movie standpoint (Heath Ledger’s Joker was the best thing in the whole series though) as well; really liked the origin story and the Ninjutsu roots. I thought the first fight between Bane and Batman was ok and actually thought that Bane himself (although different than the comic character) was decent villain as well. Not anywhere close to Ledger’s Joker in depth, ability to terrorize, or memorability, but if that is the measuring stick you are using it’s going to be extremely hard to measure up.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I like Batman Begins the most out of the 3 from a total movie standpoint (Heath Ledger’s Joker was the best thing in the whole series though) as well; really liked the origin story and the Ninjutsu roots. I thought the first fight between Bane and Batman was ok and actually thought that Bane himself (although different than the comic character) was decent villain as well. Not anywhere close to Ledger’s Joker in depth, ability to terrorize, or memorability, but if that is the measuring stick you are using it’s going to be extremely hard to measure up.[/quote]

If you are checking this thread now you NEED to watch the Sulsa Do Corps videos from a couple pages back.

It looks like someone is aping your instructor’s curriculum, adding some sort of evangelism and doing it all without being…let’s just say “overburdened” with knowledge/skill/capability. That or the best troll job ever.

Regards,

Robert A

EDTA: Mid page

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/bad_ideas?id=5939328&pageNo=19

[quote]mapwhap wrote:
Ha! I hadn’t seen that one…funny stuff, right there!!

Ah…the Batman…why is it so hard to get him right on film? I actually liked Batman Begins, the best (KFM aside, of course). I thought all ot the fight scenes in the last one were freakin HORRIBLE! Especially when Tom Hardy talked about all the prep he did for them, and made it sound like Bane was gonna be such a badass.

Oh well…not every superhero movie can be The Avengers, eh?

That’s right…I said it…take that, DC fanboiz!!![/quote]

I like Marvel better.

If I am paying to see a comic book movie, I can handle fun/lack of seriousness. It doesn’t have to be Schindler’s List.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I like Batman Begins the most out of the 3 from a total movie standpoint (Heath Ledger’s Joker was the best thing in the whole series though) as well; really liked the origin story and the Ninjutsu roots. I thought the first fight between Bane and Batman was ok and actually thought that Bane himself (although different than the comic character) was decent villain as well. Not anywhere close to Ledger’s Joker in depth, ability to terrorize, or memorability, but if that is the measuring stick you are using it’s going to be extremely hard to measure up.[/quote]

I think the Dark Knight was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, period. Ledger’s Joker was simply one of the best performances I could imagine. I didn’t mind Bane, but he definitely lacked the depth of character needed to do that. … and trying to follow Ledger’s act was impossible

I also really liked Batman Begins, for the same reasons … I love that training scene that ends in an ice bath for Bale.[/quote]

Agreed. Bane honestly just isn’t as deep of a character as The Joker, in fact he isn’t even as deep of a character as TDKR made him out to be, so I thought Nolan did a decent job of bringing the character to life. But short of completely completely rewriting the character there was no way that he was going to measure up to Joker, let alone a once in a lifetime Academy Award winning performance by Ledger as The Joker.

I think Ledger’s perfomance was clearly fantastic…and clearly carried the movie. Had another villain been introduced in TDK other than the Joker (or even with another actor portraying him), I’m not so sure people would be raving about that second film.

Clearly, the third was trying to live up to unattainable expectations. Even so, I honestly believe they could have come up with a better story and therefore made a better villain out of Bane. TDKR fell apart under the weight of its own self-imposed gravitas.

I have to agree with Robert…it’s a superhero movie…it doesn’t have to be (and probably shouldn’t be) the Godfather or something equally weighty.

^^^True. Alas, if only Maggie Gyllenhaal had not taken over the role of Rachel Dawes, TDK would have been flawless.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

If you are checking this thread now you NEED to watch the Sulsa Do Corps videos from a couple pages back.

It looks like someone is aping your instructor’s curriculum, adding some sort of evangelism and doing it all without being…let’s just say “overburdened” with knowledge/skill/capability. That or the best troll job ever.

Regards,

Robert A

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/bad_ideas?id=5939328&pageNo=19[/quote]

Great Scott! It appears Doc Brown has gone into the future, stolen the ultimate attack (the Monkey Punch), and returned to build an army of unstoppable evil ninja warriors. Puts on Good Ninja outfit Looks like it’s time to go to work.

I think the Dark Knight was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, period.[/quote]

In no particular order have you seen:

Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

The Last of the Mohicans-far, far better than any of the books

The Way of the Gun

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Regards,

Robert A

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/bad_ideas?id=5939328&pageNo=19[/quote]

Great Scott! It appears Doc Brown has gone into the future, stolen the ultimate attack (the Monkey Punch), and returned to build an army of unstoppable evil ninja warriors. Puts on Good Ninja outfit Looks like it’s time to go to work.
[/quote]

Dude’s awesome, right?

I do not say this lightly. It is a moral imperative that you show the Lysaks these videos. Soon. Bonus points if you transcribe the reactions here.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

I think the Dark Knight was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, period.[/quote]

In no particular order have you seen:

Master and Commander: Far Side of the World

The Last of the Mohicans-far, far better than any of the books

The Way of the Gun
[/quote]

The Last of The Mohicans is an epic movie! Been meaning to catch the other two but have yet to.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Regards,

Robert A

[/quote]

Dude’s awesome, right?

I do not say this lightly. It is a moral imperative that you show the Lysaks these videos. Soon. Bonus points if you transcribe the reactions here.

Regards,

Robert A
[/quote]

Lol. Will do sir. :slight_smile:

A good Idea: Aussie Bushmaster military vehicle and just for the hell of it. I was out with the Aussies yesterday and we were doing a ground movement with the Bushmaster. This was my first time in the type of vehicle and I was really impressed. For a military vehicle to haul around troops, it was very comfortable with a design that allowed more move freedom of movement than an MRAP. However, I wasnt able to test the IED resistance armor or its blast qualites, we had a quiet trip:)).

My sincere thanks to the Aussie troops yesterday. What a great group of guys and gals to work with. Very impressed with their PSD skills and attitude. BTW, they are funny as hell with a biting sense of humor, sure makes a detail go fast. They were armed with latest generation Steyrs and one of the great classics: the Browning Hi-Power.

I was not allowed to take pictures of the interior of the Bushmaster due to OPSEC for their electronic systems. However, I pulled this picture from Bushmasters website, that gives a view of the inside. Since this came off Opennet, I didnt black out the names.

not seen much of this thread before, dont no how you got onto batman but i love it. they are all *****ing excellent. batman begins is my favourite as well. the way it sets it all up is exceptional.

bale is the perfect batman. i fucking love the trilogy. hes dark, reserved, clever, sadistic, rich, and bad ass!

batman vs superman will suck without bale. ive already unfairly rated it before seeing it.

This is probably one of the most eclectic threads you’re likely to come across on this site. Take an hour or so and read through the whole thing. We jump around a lot, but it’s all good stuff.

[quote]mapwhap wrote:
This is probably one of the most eclectic threads you’re likely to come across on this site. Take an hour or so and read through the whole thing. We jump around a lot, but it’s all good stuff.[/quote]

Yep, a lot of ground got covered in this one.

Batman Begins FTW. Christian Bale isn’t so much the best Batman as he is the best Bruce Wayne, which is the key.