Bad Experiences With Anti-Depressants?

Tiffy, that’s why I said that it’s important to look into the truth about hypno before trying it.

If a hypnotherapist said to you while under, “Give me all of your money” or “Take off your clothes”, you would come immediately out of it and probably tell them to go F themselves.

Again, it’s nothing like what you see in movies. No one could, even if they wanted to, plant “false memories” in your head.

Hypno is not magic. We do not know very much about the brain and therefore can’t say with certainty what’s going on during hypnosis. But it is merely “suggestion”… and it does take effort to on your part to make it work.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Tiffy, that’s why I said that it’s important to look into the truth about hypno before trying it.

If a hypnotherapist said to you while under, “Give me all of your money” or “Take off your clothes”, you would come immediately out of it and probably tell them to go F themselves.

Again, it’s nothing like what you see in movies. No one could, even if they wanted to, plant “false memories” in your head.

Tyler -

As you said, we do not know very much about the brain so I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss false memories. There have been several psychology studies in which a false memory has been implanted and even after the subject is told it is a false memory, they refuse to believe that it is false.

This is why statements procured through hypnosis generally do not hold water in a court of law.

Tiffy, Tyler is right. i have a few friends who are hypnotists who have done some sessions on me and its not what you think.

Its a lot of visualizations and relaxing techniques, etc.

#1 priority is straightening out your life by confronting your fear or problem.

Its the most direct way to feeling better.

If you want natural meds, St John’s Wort is clinically proven to help and reg. prescribed in Europe, esp Germany. Also SAM-e and a few others.

Yes, Omega3s do help as well.

Remember to get get SUNSHINE too, outdoors, amap. Walks on the beach, in the forest, park, are ideal.

Pets can be therapeutic, and sometimes hanging out w/ children - if you don’t have any.

Alphamonkey-

For your chronic insomnia, I might suggest:

-blackout curtains

-a consistent noise, such as one of those waterfall or new age tapes or, just like me, you can buy a player that looks like a radio with 7 or 8 sounds built in. it has waterfall, the ocean, forest, etc.
OR

a fan set on low OR a hunidifier.

Anything with a constant soothing sound, a “white noise”.

-A wake up light, where you awaken to a gradually increasing light that replicates dawn.

-hot camomile or warm milk before bed

-a regular sleeping schedule (but you’ve prob heard this one before!)

-ZMA helps many get into deep sleep with vivid dreams

Good luck, and remember none of these remedies are expensive so there isn’t an excuse for not trying them out!

I highly recommend going to see a hypnotherapist as well. I have been working with my hypnotherapist for about a year and a half and have seen amazing results. Hypnotherapy is a way to directly address the issues you are facing in order to achieve faster healing from them. While you do need to make sure you find a legitimate therapist, like others have said, it is very different from what you think. It is very much about relaxing and visualization. It is also important to note that your subconscious will not allow your mind to take in anything that is not in your best interest.

Hi,

For about there years I was on several different anti-depressants. I can say that my moods were controled by the pills. Some like Welbutrin I found myself every aggressive and angry all the time. I also had trouble sleeping. With prozac I was sleeping my life away. I had no energy and was unable to stay awake for any given time.

My advice is to maybe get another opinion. Sometimes depression occurs at different stages in life. I have not been on any anti-depressant since 2001 and I have not been depressed in a long while. Can’t say it won’t come back but it does not last all that long. I think the meds screwed with my mind and body. So get another opinion before taking more meds.

Hi Everybody !

I have been helped ENORMOUSLY by the following recently published book :

The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions?Today
by Julia Ross

Detailed description can viewed at :
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0142003646/qid=1091650101/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_0_3/701-9385692-8881923

I?ve also discovered that by taking my morning basal temperature with a digital thermometer, I can predict how well or awful I will feel that day. If I get a reading below 97.2?F , I will feel depressed. The following link recommends Virgin Coconut Oil, but standardized Guggulsterone will do just as well at elevating the activity of the thyroid gland.

I hope this helps. Good Luck !!