Bad Elbows

Hello everyone ,
I got this probelm with my elbows that’s especially bothering me in barbell tricep extentions but sometimes it even happens during benching ,
when my elbow is bent over 90 degrees extending it back is a bit painfull , as if something is not connected right or I don’t know , it happens in both arms

What should I do about it :
avoid elbow extention like this (avoid the problem and live with it… might get worse when wegihts increace )

Do some rehab excersises evolving it to build the tendons around that joint and the mobility and treat it off… (what should I do ?)

I think this problem is due to lack of direct triceps work when I begun training so my triceps got stronger at some angles for lockout but not extending from a fully ebnt position so maybe doing them skull crushers with lighter weights could fix this

anyone?

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
Hello everyone ,
I got this probelm with my elbows that’s especially bothering me in barbell tricep extentions but sometimes it even happens during benching ,
when my elbow is bent over 90 degrees extending it back is a bit painfull , as if something is not connected right or I don’t know , it happens in both arms

avoid elbow extention like this (avoid the problem and live with it… might get worse when wegihts increace )

Do some rehab excersises evolving it to build the tendons around that joint and the mobility and treat it off… (what should I do ?)

I think this problem is due to lack of direct triceps work when I begun training so my triceps got stronger at some angles for lockout but not extending from a fully ebnt position so maybe doing them skull crushers with lighter weights could fix this

anyone?[/quote]

Honestly, I would get straps when you bench heavy and avoid lying dumbell extensions such as skull crushers. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great exercise, I even do them once or twice a month, but trying to fight through that pain and working on rehabbing it just isn’t worth it when you can add quality strength and mass to your triceps in other ways.

in other words ignoring it… that could work if I walk away but i wonder if anyone got any ideas for an effective prehab?

Agreed on ditching them. I have the same problem and this is the only exercise that is painful for me for tris. I can do dips, close grip bench etc with no issues.

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
in other words ignoring it… that could work if I walk away but i wonder if anyone got any ideas for an effective prehab?[/quote]

Not ignoring it, just adapting your workout to work around it. There are just some people who no matter how much “strengthening” or stability work they do on a joint will just always have problems there. I’m not saying you can’t make it better, use the search I think either Cressey or Robertson wrote a good article on arm joints (elbows, etc…) but I don’t understand why you are so adamant about doing skull crushers. There are plenty of effective exercises to take its place.

Have you tried Flameout? Perhaps that’s the answer for you.

If it’s anything like what I had (& it sounds similar) then ditch the kickbacks or tricep extensions for a while and replace with high rep, full ROM band pull-downs with a low resistance band. Take a tendon support supplement too.

Don’t do stuff that hurts it, but don’t stop all tricep work either.

Ice your elbows for 15 minutes a go, and then stretch and massage your triceps (working in fairly deep).

If none of that works…

??

It would be great if someone would write an article on how to keep the elbows healthy. :wink:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

[quote]t-ha wrote:
If it’s anything like what I had (& it sounds similar) then ditch the kickbacks or tricep extensions for a while and replace with high rep, full ROM band pull-downs with a low resistance band. Take a tendon support supplement too.

Don’t do stuff that hurts it, but don’t stop all tricep work either.

Ice your elbows for 15 minutes a go, and then stretch and massage your triceps (working in fairly deep).

If none of that works…

??[/quote]

Sounds about right.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
It would be great if someone would write an article on how to keep the elbows healthy. :wink:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397[/quote]

I was just going to post that link…

Here we go again, Cressey tootin his own horn.

P.S. I already referenced your article in my post before you did. So ha, I win and stuff.

it would also be great if it were titled 13 Tips for Mighty Elbows & Wrists.

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
Hello everyone ,

anyone?[/quote]
Your problem is one of the most common of all lifting pains. when you do skull crushers you take the shoulders and chest out of the exercise. This puts a lot of stress on the elbows. I feel your pain, I love skull crushers and have worked up to almost 315 on them. But if you over do it you will get pain.

What I did was limit skull crushers to once a month. You can get excellent tricep development from floor presses, board presses, lockouts and dips. All of those exercises are multijoint execises and will take some of the stress off the elbow. I have a pair of elbow sleeves that I wear on my really heavy sets and it helps.

Your best rehab is to stay away from exercises that isolate the elbow until the pain is totally gone. Once gone revisit skull crushers but keep them to about once a month.

meat

Bah I opened another thread anf forgot about that one that got fulle dwith advice…

I am not sure about the 13 tips thing , nothing usefull for me , mostly wirst work…

This problem by the way accurs in any movement where my arms ar extendign agienst ressistance that pass the 100 degree spot…
sometimes bad or worse ,

Also Dave Tate ones posted and excersies in hsi toolbox article about some dumbell tricep extentions that build the lingrments in that area I wodner if it coudl help cause I fell a nice pump in that area when I do the light weight

is this mostly a bone or ligrment problem?

ohwell thanks again… I will do some cable pressdowns and horizontal lockout for my triceps for now

p.s skul crushers are relativly okey , vlose grip anything , And it seems like parts of my joints or lingerments hit eachother in a 100 precent degree jsut that spot both arms, if I do partials I’m fine