Bad Day

I know its probably happened to most people… you go into the gym ready to workout, you get into your first set and you just feel like total crap as you begin to lift. Same diet, same time as always that you go to the gym but everything you do just feels wrong even though you know you’re doing it right.
How do u guys go about dealing with this? I mean it doesnt happen often but when it does I get pissed off because it feels like im wasting time doing nothing. I dont feel like I accomplished anything when i leave the gym on these days.

i think it was Berardi who wrote about this. i think i the article was called rule of 5s. basically roughly 1 in 5 workouts will be bad, 3 ok, and 1 great.

the trick is not to worry about it, just write it off, and hit the gym properly next time.

[quote]ZedLeppelin wrote:
i think it was Berardi who wrote about this. i think i the article was called rule of 5s. basically roughly 1 in 5 workouts will be bad, 3 ok, and 1 great.

the trick is not to worry about it, just write it off, and hit the gym properly next time.[/quote]

It was Dan John a few months ago good read.

Youi have two good choices and one bad choice the thing is most ppl take the bad choice.

good choices.
#1 Walk the hell out of the gym. Just leave its a waste to be there.

#2 get mentally friggin tough and make yourself have a great workout nail a PR something this can be done but easier said then done and not all the time

the bad choice
stick it out and have a lack luster crappy work out thats just leaves you tired did just enough to effect being able to come back in a day or two and have a good w/o but not enough to justify being there.

If you can pick #1 or #2

#3 is the easy one and weve all donen it to damn many times.

Phill

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
How do u guys go about dealing with this?
[/quote]

I’do all i can do, then i try to add some more volume…

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
I know its probably happened to most people… you go into the gym ready to workout, you get into your first set and you just feel like total crap as you begin to lift. [/quote]

The great part about that though is that the exact opposite can happen. I woke up this morning at 5:45 as usual but felt like shit. I got to the gym and was about to start when before I even touched the bar I commented to my brother that it looked heavy today. At the end of the session I had added 5lbs to every weight of every set from last weeks session.

[quote]Helga wrote:

The great part about that though is that the exact opposite can happen. I woke up this morning at 5:45 as usual but felt like shit. I got to the gym and was about to start when before I even touched the bar I commented to my brother that it looked heavy today. At the end of the session I had added 5lbs to every weight of every set from last weeks session.[/quote]

HAHA that’s exactly what happened to me today.
As for you, biglift, we all have bad days. If I find I’m just not “feelin’ it,” I’ll just max out on whatever exercises I planned to do that day. This might be a bad idea, but I like it: doesn’t waste a whole workout finding 1RM, and doesn’t waste a bad workout doing nothing.

I stick it out, and try my best, pushing harder each time. I try to think about why I feel this way, and try to get out of it.

The final and most effective thing I do when i feel this way, is know that i need to push my hardest, I train as hard as i can, I train past the pain, and the whole time I am doing this, I know that when I leave in 1-2 hours, the short time I was there feeling the pain is behind me and I have nothing but the benefit of A great workout.

I’ve had bad warm ups where the empty bar felt heavy but ended up having a great workout.

But when the work sets themselves feel bad, I switch to low weight circuit training, cut it short and call it a day.

It happens once every few months.

I turn around and walk out the door. I push myself hard enough to know that when my body tells me I need a break, I need a break.

What’s your workout and diet plan? After seeing that we can see if there’s something that can be improved.

[quote]Revo09 wrote:
I turn around and walk out the door. I push myself hard enough to know that when my body tells me I need a break, I need a break. [/quote]

I assume you also know when it is time to push your body?

Either way, this is dam good advice. Listening to your body, and knowing how to “feel” when to push and when to step off, when to eat more and when to not eat less. This is the “Zen” of bodybuilding. Listen to your body, “feel” and know it is proper because you fell it.

I read a thread recently where (god I hate to quote him) ProfessorX said he feels a tretch in his chest and “feels” when to reverse motion of his bench press. That is the “Zen” of bodybuilding and it extends to your set, exercise, workout, diet, and on.

Know your body, “feel your body.”

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Revo09 wrote:
I turn around and walk out the door. I push myself hard enough to know that when my body tells me I need a break, I need a break.

I assume you also know when it is time to push your body?

Either way, this is dam good advice. Listening to your body, and knowing how to “feel” when to push and when to step off, when to eat more and when to not eat less. This is the “Zen” of bodybuilding. Listen to your body, “feel” and know it is proper because you fell it.

I read a thread recently where (god I hate to quote him) ProfessorX said he feels a tretch in his chest and “feels” when to reverse motion of his bench press. That is the “Zen” of bodybuilding and it extends to your set, exercise, workout, diet, and on.

Know your body, “feel your body.”

[/quote]

Exactly. And it took a while for me to get to this point. As cliche as it sounds, youre right, and youll be much more productive when you can learn this. That being said, it takes a LONG time to get there and you work your ass off to do it.