Bad College Roommate

So brief summary, I’m stuck with an awful roommate. We have the whole nothing in common thing going on, but I could deal with that. He never NEVER leaves the room, which really sucks for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which is the fact that my girlfriend lives down the hall, yet there is still no way to get time to ourselves on a regular basis.

He buys perishable food, takes up room in the fridge and then lets it rot. He throws his crap everywhere. He stays up until ungodly hours of the night playing computer games and talking into his headset and then his lazy ass sleeps throughout the day. Usually I could deal with this too, except now I have lifting for football that I have to be at by 6:30 am and he’s still up until 3 playing his games, effectively keeping me awake.

I would tell him to knock it off, shut it down, or move it elsewhere if he were anyone else. However, I don’t know what to do with him as a) he has no friends here b) he’s from the west coast so his friends back home who he plays with are however many hours ahead, so he can’t do his crap earlier I guess and c) the lounges are usually taken by people studying their collective asses off who would be even less tolerant of this crap.

I’ve tried introducing him to people to get him out, to no avail. I basically feel bad for him right now, so I have a really difficult time telling him off for his games, since it really seems to be all he has…

So long story short, what can I do to get him to stop this stuff? Do I tell him off anyway, retaliate by actually doing what I want to do during the day, regardless of if he’s awake or asleep, or what? It’s driving me absolutely nuts.

btw, I tried asking for a transfer but it fell through so now I’m stuck here for the rest of the semester (May 15), so I have to make do with what I have…

[quote]timtimmah19 wrote:
btw, I tried asking for a transfer but it fell through so now I’m stuck here for the rest of the semester (May 15), so I have to make do with what I have…[/quote]

May 15? So you have to deal with this for one month? Suck it up.

Get him a girlfriend.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
timtimmah19 wrote:
btw, I tried asking for a transfer but it fell through so now I’m stuck here for the rest of the semester (May 15), so I have to make do with what I have…

May 15? So you have to deal with this for one month? Suck it up.[/quote]

It’s been all year and I’ve hit my breaking point with it. You can mess with a lot of crap for me, but it’s started to seriously negatively affect my training by completely screwing my sleep. It’d basically be a month of wasted training, which I feel is a lot of time to blow over this…

That’s what I’m thinking of doing right now though, I was just wondering if there were any other ideas I could get from people

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Get him a girlfriend.[/quote]

Tried/trying it. Everytime I bring someone to the room though he basically ignores them essentially…I’m currently trying to find a girl who’s big on counterstrike and oldschool warcraft in hopes that that’ll do it

buy him a fleshlight

You’ve been putting up with this for several months now though, so one extra month shouldn’t be a problem. I’m having a bad roommate problem too (pertaining mostly to the my-mommy-never-taught-me-to-clean-up-after-myself syndrome) but I basically just gave up and started to throw all the shit on the floor onto his bed so that he’d be forced to take out the trash.

So, I would go with your option of just doing whatever you want to do (just like he does) during the day no matter if he is asleep or awake. And as for the nighttime issues, I would get a set of earplugs and one of those eye cover things to block out everything from the gaming.

Help the useless bastard out

Ha, sounds like my situation, except my roommate isn’t as obnoxious, and he’s the clean guy and I’m the messy one. But yeah, I totally understand the whole, “Never leaves the room and always always always plays video games with no friends here” part.

What he’s doing is disrespectful and you taking it for 11 months has shown him it’s ok to disrespect you as a person. He probably has no idea that he’s doing it so will continue to do it.

Who cares if he has no friends? That’s not your problem. Your not there to wipe his fuckin arse.

It’s a bit late now but in future man up and tell people, in a mature respectful way, to show you some respect or there will be consequences. Always follow through with the consequences or they will know your full of shit and keep doing it.

Flat mates are just like raising dogs, children or girlfriends. You need to set the ground rules from day one or they’ll run all over you because YOU showed them through your actions that they can.

Now that i think of it put the cunt on a choke chain and yank it anytime he pisses you off!

Earplugs + eye mask.

Anyone remember a little flick call PCU? Could this be a Droz story?

Droz!

[quote]stockzy wrote:
What he’s doing is disrespectful and you taking it for 11 months has shown him it’s ok to disrespect you as a person. He probably has no idea that he’s doing it so will continue to do it.

Who cares if he has no friends? That’s not your problem. Your not there to wipe his fuckin arse.

It’s a bit late now but in future man up and tell people, in a mature respectful way, to show you some respect or there will be consequences. Always follow through with the consequences or they will know your full of shit and keep doing it.

Flat mates are just like raising dogs, children or girlfriends. You need to set the ground rules from day one or they’ll run all over you because YOU showed them through your actions that they can.

Now that i think of it put the cunt on a choke chain and yank it anytime he pisses you off!

[/quote]

x2

God gave you a mouth so you could speak up.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
stockzy wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve talked to him before and asked several times politely, he’s said he’d stop or at least stop using the headset and then will go back to it the next day…I’m thinking I just need to basically lose it on him once to really get my point across. Retaliating by keeping him up is too passive aggressive for my taste, I’d rather go with a head to head confrontation about it like the last two guys said…if he hates me after it so what i guess, we have a month left and we’re not exactly friends to begin with haha…

This is not someone you will keep in contact with in the future.I think you know what you need to do.

Pics or video or it didn’t happen.

He’s clearly an asshole - go apeshit on his ass. Plus if you’re a football player i’m guessing you could physically intimidate him somewhat…

[quote]timtimmah19 wrote:
Itchy wrote:
stockzy wrote:

I’ve talked to him before and asked several times politely, he’s said he’d stop or at least stop using the headset and then will go back to it the next day…I’m thinking I just need to basically lose it on him once to really get my point across. Retaliating by keeping him up is too passive aggressive for my taste, I’d rather go with a head to head confrontation about it like the last two guys said…if he hates me after it so what i guess, we have a month left and we’re not exactly friends to begin with haha…
[/quote]

Yes, it sounds like it’s way past the time to squash this shit. Stop being nice.