T Nation

Bad Back, What's the Fix?

since ive been lifting ive pulled my back four times, in about 3 years, today it happened at football and its the very lower part of my back…
my mom consistintly tells me i do to much training after football practice, and that our family has a history of bad backs

im going to make an appointment with a therapists to try and heal this one quickly, but what do you guys think, exercises, workout splits (for inseason) and ice/heat?

thanks in advance

I don’t know if my situation is similar or not, but it sounds like it.

Whenever my lower back starts acting up after some heavy deadlifting or poor squatting, I just spend some quality time on the glute-ham machine doing back extensions.

Many, many sets of back extensions, my back feels great and if I just take it easy on the heavy weight for a week or so everything is better. Keep in mind this has only happened twice, and it’s only worked twice, but maybe strengthening your lower back directly could help? That, and always paying special attention to keeping good form and a neutral spine.

My .02$

thanks, lately ive been doing tons of extensions after workouts and planks to get my all around core strong, but idk this was just a random tweak and its pissing me off, ill try some more tomorrow:)

Ya, and another thing is don’t rush it. You want to lift a long time right? Then don’t screw it up now.

Proper recovery > ego.

Take the time necessary to fix it, whatever it may be. You’ll thank yourself in 20 years when your still free of back issues.

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Ya, and another thing is don’t rush it. You want to lift a long time right? Then don’t screw it up now.

Proper recovery > ego.

Take the time necessary to fix it, whatever it may be. You’ll thank yourself in 20 years when your still free of back issues.[/quote]

you forgot one thing…

Oriental massage…with happy ending bro :wink:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote:

Proper recovery > ego.

Take the time necessary to fix it, whatever it may be. You’ll thank yourself in 20 years when your still free of back issues.

you forgot one thing…

Oriental massage…with happy ending bro :wink:

[/quote]

Sorry, I thought it was assumed.

I don’t know how long you have been training but you might be pushing yourself too hard on exercises that require good form-deadlift and squat- I did this at the start also, trying to pull more weight more often then I should have, not resting enough ext.

Ice it a lot-real ice probably best-, icy hot is one of the best things I use all the time when I’m in season-get pains in my elbow from throwing a lot, and lower back- Also the GHR are a great idea for recovery, I love those for lower back strength. Other then that take it easy don’t rush back into heavy lifting if your getting some injuries.

whats the glute ham look like i dont think we have one of those at my gym, we have a reverse hyper which i use for lower back is that the same?

Get ice on it as soon as you can. Like, the minute you feel pain.

If it is a muscle sprain, massage the area, not too forcefully, with a tennis ball several times a day, as in trigger point therapy.

Those 2 things, along with ibuprofen, have helped me heal much faster after spraining a muscle.

For the future, consult a strength coach knowledgeable about injury prevention regarding your form, choice of exercises, and programming.

Tennis ball, maybe even a baseball and do your back, glutes, IT band and hips with it. Stretch your lats, hips and glutes often as well.
You have to think of everything thats pulling on your low back, if anything is too tight, knotted or whatever it can make you tweak it easily. I’ve tweaked my back 4 times from doing handouts for the bench, of all things!

EDIT:
Oh, and wait till your healthy(ish) before you do that. It would be a bad idea to do all that while something is seriously wrong with your back

thanks: its day two and i feel more stiff than pain, i iced it for like 4 hours yesterday as well as an hour of heat in between sessions, walking helped loosen things up which is good,

today im going with heat first than ice since its more stiff, and i was wondering if anyone knew where that old lumber stability thread was located?