Bad Absorption or High Metabolism?

give this a read How Your Antacid Drug Is Making You Sick (Part B) - Chris Kresser

Yeah, that’s good info. When the doctors told me I have GERD from too much acid… but that drinking orange juice on an empty stomach made me feel BETTER, something didn’t add up.

I tried and used betaine hcl for roughly a month, and that made things somewhat better. It amazes me that doctors don’t even consider hypochlorydria.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:
PPI will DECREASE stomach acid, thereby slowing digestion and hindering absorption. The antibiotics is a good idea, but I would go the other direction and add a digestive enzyme/HCL supplement instead of a PPI. I would also add a probiotic, especially while on the antibiotic.[/quote]

This… depending upon who you talk to, may want to use the probiotic +/- 3hrs of anitbiotic use.

And don’t buy cheap probiotics, many don’t contain live ones. Use Jarrow Formula or Mercola brand.[/quote]

Thanks for actual brand names. I was planning on a probiotic during that time as-is.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:
PPI will DECREASE stomach acid, thereby slowing digestion and hindering absorption. The antibiotics is a good idea, but I would go the other direction and add a digestive enzyme/HCL supplement instead of a PPI. I would also add a probiotic, especially while on the antibiotic.[/quote]

This… depending upon who you talk to, may want to use the probiotic +/- 3hrs of anitbiotic use.

And don’t buy cheap probiotics, many don’t contain live ones. Use Jarrow Formula or Mercola brand.[/quote]

Thanks for actual brand names. I was planning on a probiotic during that time as-is.[/quote]

Just note, that the Mercola brand is 35billion per pill, so while it is uber expensive compared to others, the amount in each pill is extremely high.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:

Thanks for actual brand names. I was planning on a probiotic during that time as-is.[/quote]

Just note, that the Mercola brand is 35billion per pill, so while it is uber expensive compared to others, the amount in each pill is extremely high.[/quote]

What’s a typical/good dosage? Also, how long would you say to keep taking it?.. start during the course of antibiotics, and then just finish the bottle?

For general health purposes 3-5 billion per day seems to be sufficient. If dealing with a specific health condition higher doses would be warranted, such as antibiotic use.

I would take at least while on antibiotics, but also continue there after. I have not read any real data or info on how long to continue. It’s just one of those supplements that I keep on hand and take every now and then.

Keep in fridge too :wink:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I can muster the energy for a workout. I can’t for folding laundry.[/quote]

And this isn’t an emotional or mental issue?

Did you ever think that could be because folding laundry is damn boring?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I haven’t talked to my doctor, but I did get blood test results back. For the most part everything seemed normal-ish. T4 was on the high side (1.77), but still in range. TSH was perfectly normal (2.130).

Really two notable things:

1. high bilirubin levels (1.8 mg/dL)
  2. positive for h pylori

[/quote]

Keep an eye on your TSH. Mine started in the high 5s and I gradually got it down below 1. I still didn’t feel %100 when my TSH was above 2, but in your case, you’ll never find a doctor who will treat this.

Like you said, bili could be any number of things. Mine is chronically high and it’s pretty meaningless. Check out Gilbert’s Syndrome.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I can muster the energy for a workout. I can’t for folding laundry.[/quote]

And this isn’t an emotional or mental issue?

Did you ever think that could be because folding laundry is damn boring? [/quote]

Lol. Yes. But I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t feel worn down after doing it. Maybe bored to tears, but not physically exhausted.

And certainly there’s a mental/emotional component, but that can tie in pretty closely with poor absorption.