T Nation

Bacon Grease on the AD

I deicded to do a 30 day low carb experiment (pretty much a modified AD) my results have been fantastic first few days had trouble getting in calories. But bacon greese is the best stuff in the world weird I get full eat bacon with grease and am hungry again. Pouring it on anything makes it delicouse.

Try after makeing your bacon in a pan fry any vegetable in it it is better than french fries I just fried cucumber and ate it with bacon it is one of the best combos ever. So, I think this would be a cool thread for anyother weird combos you have discovered on the AD that are amaing. Especially stuff to do with veggies I have a few more good things I’ll post later…

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
I have a few more good things I’ll post later…[/quote]

can’t wait to hear them! i just started a low-carb diet, but i can’t have carb ups like on the AD (i’d love to but can’t for health reasons right now… long story… nevermind).

anyways it’s hard getting in the calories so i can’t wait to hear what else you got!

If you are having trouble getting enough calories on a low carb, eat nuts. Very calorie dense (about 250 cals per 1/4 cup which is around 15-20 pieces) and lots of good fats.

cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:
If you are having trouble getting enough calories on a low carb, eat nuts. Very calorie dense (about 250 cals per 1/4 cup which is around 15-20 pieces) and lots of good fats.

cueball[/quote]

Yeah no kidding. I was just noticing how out of the 46 grams of fat contained within 90 grams of almonds (3 servings), there’s only 3.5 grams of saturated fat (520 total calories). And of the 18 grams of carbs, 11 of them are fiber. Heck yeah.

Anyway, as far as the bacon…it’s interesting since so many people consider bacon such an evil food. While I’m not ready to deem it a “holy” food by any means, I did actually consume it on a daily basis during a period of time in which I was in one of the most lean conditions of my life (on the AD). Not THE leanest…but one of the leanest.

Me thinks the AD could also be called the “Have your bacon and eat it too” diet. :wink: Good idea with the veggies, BTW.

One of my “crazy experiements” that turned out good was with protein pancakes. Simply made batter with casein based powder and an egg or two (sometimes used unsweetened almond milk), fried it up, then added melted conola butter on top. I don’t do it anymore, but it was EXTREMELY tasty. At one point I was up to 3-4 of them a day. It was then I knew that I needed to cut down. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, almond cups are pretty easy to make for the AD. I use a powerful coffee grinder to grind up a serving of almonds, half a serving of Grow! Whey, cinnamon, and WEE bit of water into a type of half flour, have buttery like consistency (so it’s kind of like almond butter, only with chunks still in it and not 100% “gooey”). Then melt some PURE DARK chocolate and throw in a few packets of stevia. Pour into a mold and let it sit in the fridge until hard. Then take it out, place the whey/almond paste in the middle, and pour the rest of the chocolate on top. Take out once completely hardened and enjoy.

[quote]cueball wrote:

cueball[/quote]

good idea… but i’m allergic to almost all nuts!

aww nuts!

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
dylan10507 wrote:
I have a few more good things I’ll post later…

can’t wait to hear them! i just started a low-carb diet, but i can’t have carb ups like on the AD (i’d love to but can’t for health reasons right now… long story… nevermind).

anyways it’s hard getting in the calories so i can’t wait to hear what else you got!

[/quote]

If you saute zucchini in olive oil with a little bit of onion till it gets a bit tender it is amaing with beef and is especiallt good in an omlette. Also any type of stew is awesome. A crock pot is the best just get some beef add chicken broth and any veggies (cabbage, brussel sprouts, carrots and celery are especially good) and leave it on for the morning than once you get home 8-10 hrs later it is amazing.

Also I have been makeing chile and just dropping the beans. Sauted onions make it easier to get just about anything down. Mashing cauliflower that is steamed intill very soft and adding oil or butter to it is just like mashed potatoes. Also be creative with frying veggies you could be suprised at how similar to fried starches fried veggies are. And they are different in each type of oil.

Sorry to hear about your nut allergy but if there are any nuts you are not allergic two try the butter I am allergic to peanuts and decided to try almond butter instead turned out it was amazing and super easy to eat to get the calories in I just add a few scoops after a meal try this with any kind of nut butter you can aren’t allergic two .

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
cueball wrote:

cueball

Yeah no kidding. I was just noticing how out of the 46 grams of fat contained within 90 grams of almonds (3 servings), there’s only 3.5 grams of saturated fat (520 total calories). And of the 18 grams of carbs, 11 of them are fiber. Heck yeah.

Anyway, as far as the bacon…it’s interesting since so many people consider bacon such an evil food. While I’m not ready to deem it a “holy” food by any means, I did actually consume it on a daily basis during a period of time in which I was in one of the most lean conditions of my life (on the AD). Not THE leanest…but one of the leanest.

Me thinks the AD could also be called the “Have your bacon and eat it too” diet. :wink: Good idea with the veggies, BTW.

One of my “crazy experiements” that turned out good was with protein pancakes. Simply made batter with casein based powder and an egg or two (sometimes used unsweetened almond milk), fried it up, then added melted conola butter on top. I don’t do it anymore, but it was EXTREMELY tasty. At one point I was up to 3-4 of them a day. It was then I knew that I needed to cut down. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, almond cups are pretty easy to make for the AD. I use a powerful coffee grinder to grind up a serving of almonds, half a serving of Grow! Whey, cinnamon, and WEE bit of water into a type of half flour, have buttery like consistency (so it’s kind of like almond butter, only with chunks still in it and not 100% “gooey”). Then melt some PURE DARK chocolate and throw in a few packets of stevia. Pour into a mold and let it sit in the fridge until hard. Then take it out, place the whey/almond paste in the middle, and pour the rest of the chocolate on top. Take out once completely hardened and enjoy.

[/quote]

Awesome Ideas I am trying these later this week. I think handling fat is a genetic thing I saw a really interesting article about this basicly it said that some people handle carbs better than others which I knew but that those same people can’t handle fat well which made me feel much better I used to just think people like that could eat what ever they want but I’ll take bacon and eggs over granola and cereal anyday.

Found the article bodyrecomposition.com/Fat%20loss/lylemcdonald-ins.html

I forgot one more thing I use almond meal for chicken coating it works great but do not use eggs to stick it to the chicken use oil. Cooking it in coconut oil is great it gives it a slight coconut taste if you get it right.

I have been trying to figure out how to make “bread” out of almond for ever (was on paleo diet long before this) and the main thing I have discovered is don’t try to mix eggs with it because it will taste like crap its been ahwile maybe I can combine some of these Ideas and see if I can make some.

speaking of the almond meal… i’ve heard of people grinding up pork rinds to use instead of bread crumbs, etc, on a low carb diet.

anyone try this?