T Nation

Bacon Flavor Spray

Thought it was posted on here a while back, but I can't seem to find an online site that has it in stock.

Our dog is being rather picky after the latest round of chemo. She eats up the cooked steak, but is turning her nose at raw lamb, deer and chicken.

putting some bacon grease on it seems to do the trick, but I'm not really in the mood to cook bacon 2x/day

maybe she is finding it a bit easier to digest the cooked stuff? just a thought...

Yeah, those were my thoughts, but she still loves raw eggs. And she doesn't really want to eat the Orijen kibble either.

may try to lightly cook some of the raw patties

Maybe you need a check up too? j/k

Hope the pooch is hanging in there.

Pretty sure Epic Meal Time made some bacon flavour food additive.

I want to ask someone for a bacon favor.

You could try some beef broth.

yeah, realized I didn't spell flavor... and realized complaining of cooking bacon 2x/day may not go over well :wink:

beef broth, thanks for the suggestion

No problem. Hope your dog stays healthy and alive for years.

JFit -

Go find yourself some fatty bacon and suet at the grocery store.

Cook the bacon down to get as much grease as you can and add in some suet for more volume.

Get some old cans or other non-glass container and pour the grease in (after it's not scolding hot) and either just let it sit, or put it in the fridge.

It will all harden back up (all sat fat!) and when you're ready to use some, you can just get a few tablespoons or 1/4 cup or whatever and 'melt' it in a small pan then pour it on the dogs food.

You're just rendering the fat and storing it for later.

Think of it like a tub of margerine. (literally a tub of lard).

^ Or spread it on your toast like poor people do. :slightly_smiling:

One other thing I've done with my dogs when they get picky about dry nuggets or other food.

I sprinkle grated parmesan or romano cheese all over their food and mix it in. They loved it.

I'm sure it would work on a piece of meat, too. Hell, I'd make some cuts in it, sprinkle cheese and rub it in so it gets deep into the cuts so the dog doesn't just lick the cheese off.

Or pour it over Haagen Daas like fat rich people do.

You hacking my damn web cam again Steely you IT bastard you.

What about just buying a container of rendered pork fat? I've seen it at most grocery stores and Wal-Mart, it's dirt cheap, and you just need to microwave a little glob of it for about 20 seconds so it's soft but not hot, and it can be rolled with the other food using a large spoon or the like? The straight pork fat doesn't have any nitrates/nitrites and would give you complete control over the salt content, as well.

http://www.mypetchup.com/

I've thought about getting some of that stuff, but my dog is a healthy lab and therefore never wants to stop eating.