Backwards Squat Suits for Pulling

Has anyone tried pulling sumo in their squat suits, with the suit put on backwards? My coach just returned from the Asian powerlifting championships (IPF) and said guys were putting up some crazy weight doing that.

I asked over in elitefts about this: http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=159944&tid=
I’m just looking for more input if anyone has given it a try. What did you get out of it? Carryover or smashed nuts? Anyone compete like this?

I’m going to try this out tomorrow, after DE squats, although it is hard to get fired up to shoehorn myself into my suit backwards. I already own a Metal King regular stance deadlifter (IPF), and this is going to have to blow my mind to put that thing on the shelf. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I usually pull in my super centurion just put on normally… I don’t understand putting it on backwards as the suit is perfectly symmetrical…

I’ve pulled and squatted in my suit (Centurian) backwards. The theory is that the butt of the suit stretches more than the crotch. Flipping it around to pull gives you fresher material on the butt when pulling and therefore theoretically more pop.

The theory behind reversing a squat suit is more based on the old z and Champion suits. By reversing it you switch the seam on the strap to further behind the trap which was thought to help in keeping a lifter more upright when they pull.

With today’s suits, for example a centurion, the same thing can be accomplished by tightening up the straps (like I have said before a poly DL suit should be shorter and somewhat wider than a squat suit becuase if you can tolerate it you will get more pop from tight straps whereas overly tight hips will cause problems with reaching the bar) and pulling the seam as far behind the trap as possible. This is why if you are altering the straps, leaving them with a tab sticking out will give you something to grab and make placement of the seam on the lifter easier.

The problem with the older generation suits is the material was much more stretchy and your ability to set the straps and have them stay was not good. If I remember correctly (don’t have a z-suit anymore to look at) the seam was placed so that the strap was shorter in the front relative to seam position. Turning it around moved it behind the trap which is what you want. You want to effectively make the straps shorter in the back of the lifter which pulls them more upright.

I gave it a run yesterday after DE squats. The suit went right on backwards and I got after it. What I seemed to lose was alot of pop off the floor. I am not entirely ready to give up on this, but so far I am unimpressed with the carryover. I am not going to mess with it for awhile, gotta start getting ready to compete in Tokyo in Febuary.

[quote]Volstagg wrote:
I gave it a run yesterday after DE squats. The suit went right on backwards and I got after it. What I seemed to lose was alot of pop off the floor. I am not entirely ready to give up on this, but so far I am unimpressed with the carryover. I am not going to mess with it for awhile, gotta start getting ready to compete in Tokyo in Febuary.[/quote]

IMO, it’s completely unnecessary with the current generation of suits.

I would spend more time becoming tolerant of tight straps and working on getting the seam as far behind the trap as possible.

Most people give up on DL suits way too easy and don’t have anybody around them that understands how to alter and fit/set them up.

I have used both a deadlift suit and also a reversed squat suit to pull. The results are very similar in my opinion. If it works why waste extra money, you won’t get much more from a deadlift suit anyway.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

[quote]Volstagg wrote:
I gave it a run yesterday after DE squats. The suit went right on backwards and I got after it. What I seemed to lose was alot of pop off the floor. I am not entirely ready to give up on this, but so far I am unimpressed with the carryover. I am not going to mess with it for awhile, gotta start getting ready to compete in Tokyo in Febuary.[/quote]

IMO, it’s completely unnecessary with the current generation of suits.

I would spend more time becoming tolerant of tight straps and working on getting the seam as far behind the trap as possible.

Most people give up on DL suits way too easy and don’t have anybody around them that understands how to alter and fit/set them up.[/quote]

When you alter a squat suit like a super centurion, how would it be altered differently for deadlifting vs squatting? I usually just pull in a slightly looser squat suit (vs the tight one to squat in) that has the straps tightened exactly how I would have done it with my squat suit. Now these straps are indeed insanely tight… IE I need someone to really pull HARD to get it up on my shoulders. Soooo with this suit, once the straps are up do you think I just need to try and yanks the seam of the straps backwards behind the traps???