T Nation

Backpacks vs Messenger Bags

Fuck if I know where to put this post.

School is starting up for me in a couple weeks after this summer term finishes.

Anyway, I usually take a notebook, a water bottle, my wallet, a pen, a book (for personal reading) and a journal. To carry all that crap, I take a messenger bag and wear it across my body.

I haven't experienced any problems with my shoulders bothering me, but I'm trying to correct some postural problems (pretty bad kyphosis and lordosis) and was wondering if using a backpack would be better.

Any suggestions that can give a good physiological reason as to why one would be better than another?

I'd think a backpack is better because it has even weight distribution over both of you shoulders as long as you wear it on both of your shoulders. But ask a chiropractor to be certain

Sounds good to me. I have an appointment with my chiro next week.

I remember reading something by Cressey a while back about backpacks and shoulder bags, but I can't remember where and what he said.

The only people I see with messenger bags are emos.

You aren't THAT GUY are you?

+1.

Really, really try to avoid messenger bags so you don't catch the ghey/lame/dumbass/douche/turd/emo.

Messenger bag is one feminine step away from wearing a purse.

Guys that jumped out of airplanes in WWII, back before all the kinks were worked out of the process, wore messenger bags/shoulder bags.

Yeah, I have a messenger bag (authentic WWII surplus picked up at a surplus store). When I was in college I wore a back pack AND the shoulder bag AND walked 5 miles home from campus with that stuff.

messenger bags are cooler.

fuck you guys, im not an emo.

youve cought the GHEY

I use both, I have to many books to stuff into a backpack.

Sounds like a you're not carrying that much. It won't really matter - just switch the shoulder you use.

Messenger bags are great when actually riding a bike (duh). And if you're a little bit dressed up, both backpacks and briefcases can look dorky.

Do you guys drive trucks?

I bet you drive trucks.

Shit I drive a car, I must have gotten ghey without realizing it.

With that small of a load I think you would be fine. Messenger bags are not gay, people are gay.

Messenger bags are only cooler if...

wait, I'm wrong.

They are never cooler.

Emo boy. Now, go cry. Cry emo, cry.

Messenger bags are so cool that they were designed to hold laptops before laptops existed.

its whatever dudew cause i keep mad shit in my bag anyway. like if im headin somewhere for a while i got condoms, an extra shirt, maybe a wifebeater, gum, misc. papers, phone charger whatever else i may need.

this is honestly the first place i ever heard anyone say anything negative about a messenger bag..or even bring them up in general.

There's a lot of people here that need to constantly prove that they would never, ever ever, even by accident, when drunk, stick it in a dude.

I drive sedans.

I use one instead of a purse.

Just get a backpack.