T Nation

Backflip?

OK so for various reasons (which I won’t go into) I want to learn to do a backflip this year.

I am 36 years old. Fit 90kg. I have no gymnastic experience or ability. I do not really play sport or run anymore - mostly boxing (fitness type) and weights.

So what do you think? This is important to me. I was going to go to a gymnastics club and ask someone to coach me and teach me this one manoeuvre. Any suggestions or advice?

Also, who here can actually perform a backflip - not oon a trampoline? Who is the oldest poster on TN that can pull this off?

They’re not hard, really if you’re decently athletic you should be able to learn it in one session.

If you lack the necessary physical base then expect it to take a while to build it up.

Professional instruction in a good idea.

I can do a backflip. I decided one day that I wanted to try, YouTube’d it and tried.

They aren’t very hard, landed it the first time I ever tried. No tumbling of gymnastics background at all, I just could flip on a trampoline or off a diving board.

Get in touch with PX. He is the local expert in anything athletic around here. His lunge form is legendary.

front flips are safer - you cant land on your head and break your face if it falls short. :slight_smile:

[quote]NikH wrote:
front flips are safer - you cant land on your head and break your face if it falls short. :)[/quote]

50/50 with you on this. Back flips are a lot easier and that’s why they are safer IMO. With a back flip, you’re able to see the ground when you’re landing. The only way a back flip becomes dangerous is if you puss out on it. It’s extremely hard to over-rotate on a back flip. Just like anything else, commit to it and it should be pretty easy. YouTube it like greg did; you don’t need to go to a gymnast to do this.

I’ll be 48 next week and I can still do a back flip. The last time I did it I was 43, but don’t worry I can still do it. I’m awesome.

Front flip safer? I don’t know about that and its kind of irrelevant since no one on this site will ever do a front flip. The number of people who can is infinitesimally small. With a running start it’s doable but from a stand still only someone with crazy skills can do it.

To learn to do it, I’d say learn on a trampoline. Nail it with big jumps then work your way down with smaller and smaller jumps until you can just stand on the mat and do it. Then take it to the ground.

For technique, initiate with the arms long and quick over your head. Follow fast with the legs and tuck them tight. It’s mostly about having the balls to go for it. You go all out, you make it. You hold back you fail.

A number of years ago a poster here called Holymac took up this challenge and posted a video doing it within a few days.

[quote]on edge wrote:

A number of years ago a poster here called Holymac took up this challenge and posted a video doing it within a few days.[/quote]

Yes but we are still waiting for the lunk alarm video

My backflip…

Don’t hate.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
My backflip…

Don’t hate.[/quote]

[quote]imhungry wrote:
My backflip…

Don’t hate.[/quote]

I laugh at this everytime.

If I remember correctly the following video was recommended in the thread where HolyMac learned to backflip.

[quote]NikH wrote:
front flips are safer - you cant land on your head and break your face if it falls short. :)[/quote]

I disagree with this. A standing front flip is a blind landing; for most people they are harder to get moving; and yes, you can land on your head if you are short just like you could if were short on a backflip.

There are lots of different ways to learn a backflip. Off the side of the pool; into a foam pit; with a spotter or two to help you spin; with a spotting belt; or just giving it a go (and preferably on grass or something with give and not pavement if you land short). If you have access to a gymnastics floor that is spring loaded this would make it easier and safer as well and a few tips from a gymnastics coach would help.

[quote]on edge wrote:
I’ll be 48 next week and I can still do a back flip. The last time I did it I was 43, but don’t worry I can still do it. I’m awesome.

Front flip safer? I don’t know about that and its kind of irrelevant since no one on this site will ever do a front flip. The number of people who can is infinitesimally small. With a running start it’s doable but from a stand still only someone with crazy skills can do it.

To learn to do it, I’d say learn on a trampoline. Nail it with big jumps then work your way down with smaller and smaller jumps until you can just stand on the mat and do it. Then take it to the ground.

For technique, initiate with the arms long and quick over your head. Follow fast with the legs and tuck them tight. It’s mostly about having the balls to go for it. You go all out, you make it. You hold back you fail.

A number of years ago a poster here called Holymac took up this challenge and posted a video doing it within a few days.[/quote]

Were you a gymnast?