Backfilling Insulin Syringes

OK

Thanks BBB

Good thread, I do TRT and have been considering switching to slin pins.

Not to hijack VT but I have a question. From what it sounds like, youā€™re using slin pins to do IM injections? I know KSMan and others advocate sub-Q, but Is ā€œshallow IMā€ an accepted method? I know at least on my body I definitely donā€™t have .5" of fat in my delts. I can only really do sub-Q on my stomach.

Also you mention aspirating which is definitely not needed for sub-Q. Unless using that short of a needle is considered sub-Q regardless of site; is that the case?

Very curious, thanks in advance for your answers. I would love to use only slin pins as Iā€™m concerned about the tissue damage from life-long IM shots. If itā€™s working for you then Iā€™m sold.

Also wanted to add that in case you havenā€™t already discovered, there are 1cc (100IU) slin pins. If the issue with air bubbles is the barrel being so narrow, it seems that could help. I use them for my HCG and I find itā€™s still very easy to measure up small doses (.25cc) I donā€™t have the issue youā€™re describing but of course HCG is in water and not oil, so I canā€™t really compare.

[quote]reidnez wrote:
From what it sounds like, youā€™re using slin pins to do IM injections? I know KSMan and others advocate sub-Q, but Is ā€œshallow IMā€ an accepted method? [/quote]
Iā€™m no expert but yes, slin pins are used in TRT cases for IM injections. I wouldnā€™t inject more than 0.4cc tops as the injection is ā€œshallowā€ as you put it, but for 0.2cc shots, much better IMO than bigger needles.

[quote]reidnez wrote:
Good thread, I do TRT and have been considering switching to slin pins.

Not to hijack VT but I have a question. From what it sounds like, youā€™re using slin pins to do IM injections? I know KSMan and others advocate sub-Q, but Is ā€œshallow IMā€ an accepted method? I know at least on my body I definitely donā€™t have .5" of fat in my delts. I can only really do sub-Q on my stomach.

Also you mention aspirating which is definitely not needed for sub-Q. Unless using that short of a needle is considered sub-Q regardless of site; is that the case?

Very curious, thanks in advance for your answers. I would love to use only slin pins as Iā€™m concerned about the tissue damage from life-long IM shots. If itā€™s working for you then Iā€™m sold.[/quote]

Yes, I do IM directly into the deltoid and it seems to work fineā€¦Iā€™ve only been doing them for a couple weeks though so take my word for what its worth lolā€¦should have blood tests to back it up in about 4 more weeksā€¦

I decided to just load directly into the slin pin instead of backfillingā€¦for the small doses that Iā€™m taking, the time is minimalā€¦I can load the pin and do my injection in less than 2 minutesā€¦I inject 0.2 mL at a time, but did 0.5 into a 1/2" 30 gauge .5 mL slin pin with no issues when I front loadedā€¦the 0.5 was backfilled though but I canā€™t imagine drawing directly would have taken that much more timeā€¦

Thanks for the reply VT, Iā€™m definitely going to try it out. No reason to use bigger needles than we have to.

Update: I injected into the vastus with a 1cc, 28ga, 0.5" insulin syringe. Iā€™m definitely satisfied with this method and think it has significant advantages. It was a bit slow to load but still only took a minute or two. Next time I will try leaving the vial on its side and letting it fill passively.

Pain was nil, but it generally was anyway with my 25ga 1" needles. I really like the idea of less muscle damage and scarring, that was the primary factor in my interest in this method. Not to mention it is simpler and cheaper to use ā€œslin pinsā€ for everything.

Plunger was noticeably easier to push than with my 3cc, 25ga setups. The fact that I didnā€™t have to use as much force on the plunger made it a lot easier to hold the syringe steady. I was pleasantly surprised by this. I guess the small barrel diameter really does overcome the tiny needle bore. Next time I order supplies I will get some 0.5cc syringes, as this should be even easier.

I noticed a little seepage from the site onto my skin. Not a big deal but probably a consequence of the very shallow depth. Next time I may push slower and hold the needle in place longer to see if I can prevent this.

Just thought Iā€™d throw in my endorsement for anyone else whoā€™s reading and has considered switching over. I see no compelling reason to use big, long IM needles.