Backache After Training

How do you guys normally treat your backache after workout?

you shouldn’t have back ache per se after a workout. see a sports physio that someone recommends. what type of back ache is it? whereabouts etc? sharp, dull, particular movements aggravate, help etc? if you’re talking normal muscle soreness then massage, stretching, mobility etc. some people like trigger pointing, ice baths… might be good to see some video of your form in case this is causing back ache. personally I used to do a bit of mobility/stretching at the beginning and end of most sessions eg trunk flexion/extension, side bends, twists, seated/standing, various hamstring stretches with the spine flexed/rounded or straight, the latter being more relevant to olympic lifting, pulling knees into chest, rocking back and forth/side to side, there’s loads of stuff on the web, try finding back/lumbar mobility/stretching for olympic lifitng - there’s probably some stuff on this site, otherwise try catalyst athletics, pendlay, california strength etc

Try foam rolling and stretching the piriformis, glutes, adductors and hammies. It’s was the cause of my back pain

[quote]Charlietr wrote:
you shouldn’t have back ache per se after a workout. see a sports physio that someone recommends. what type of back ache is it? whereabouts etc? sharp, dull, particular movements aggravate, help etc? if you’re talking normal muscle soreness then massage, stretching, mobility etc. some people like trigger pointing, ice baths… might be good to see some video of your form in case this is causing back ache. personally I used to do a bit of mobility/stretching at the beginning and end of most sessions eg trunk flexion/extension, side bends, twists, seated/standing, various hamstring stretches with the spine flexed/rounded or straight, the latter being more relevant to olympic lifting, pulling knees into chest, rocking back and forth/side to side, there’s loads of stuff on the web, try finding back/lumbar mobility/stretching for olympic lifitng - there’s probably some stuff on this site, otherwise try catalyst athletics, pendlay, california strength etc[/quote]

Not right after. But after beginning workout, i had felt contant backaches and currently stopped exercising.
By the way, how com ice bath helps backache?

Ice baths are supposed to help flush lactic acid out of the muscles, reducing soreness

Depends what you mean by backache. I know my lower back will tighten right up on me, and used to do so on a regular basis. I found that diligent stretching of the legs and hips helped keep everything loose, but for me that was really addressing the symptom, not the cause. Personally, I’ve noticed that incorporating even a couple sets of posterior chain work, doing a little bit of glute activation, and a little bit of ab work has effectively eliminated the back tightness, even though I almost never stretch right now (which might change, I like stretching sometimes). But I found doing that has helped decrease my anterior pelvic tilt and take some of the stress off my lower back while I’m lifting.