Back Up Plan: Police Academy

[quote]eic wrote:

[quote]stringer wrote:
eic wrote:
Funny, I am kinda in the same boat. I am an attorney but am hating my current job and the legal market is hell right now. (I am doing civil litigation, but want to do criminal law.) Even before I went to law school, I was thinking about law enforcement as a career. My current shitty job and the lack of other opportunities is really making think hard about pulling the trigger (pun not intended) on a career as a LEO, whether as an 1811 or with a local agency. I am also interested in hearing responses to this from people in the know.

i remember your previous thread a long time ago about a career as a LEO rather than as a lawyer. if you still feel like this now you should do it life is too short!

[/quote]

Yup, that was me. I am still feeling this way. Even my parents, who were originally against the idea, are now encouraging me to do it since they have seen how serious I am about this and how much research I’ve done about it. (Though most of my research has been heavy on the FBI; I have not talked to as many police officers.)

This may sound stupid, but so many ridiculously negative things have happened to me with law that I really feel like a higher power or fate may be steering me in that direction. [/quote]

I’m under the impression (through my research) that you need 3 years experience in your field before joining the FBI. What have you found? I’m applying to the police academy, looking to eventually join the FBI.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
if you’re unsure, then schdule a ride-along with an agency near you, and see what you think, and talk to cops in the area about it. [/quote]

Can you just do that? My GF’s brother is an LEO at Norwalk (South of Des Moines) PD. I might have to ask him about it. Sounds like it could be a bit of fun. :slight_smile:

He works in the DARE program now though.

To the OP: I remember his wife saying she hated him being on patrol. Shitty hours, and she worried about him etc. So yeah, if you are in a relationship, or intend on getting into one, it’s something to consider. I guess a lot of chicks like the uniform though. :wink:

A guy I worked with has his bachelor’s in Criminal Justice, went to the Police Academy, and he is still parking cars as a valet. What a big shit sandwich.

[quote]LjSimpson08 wrote:
Air National Guard → Nab the Security/MP MOS training → Law Enforcement if you really want too.

The reason being is that the Air National Guard (Chair Force, Desk Pilots, Sneaker Camp Graduates,and Bicycle Warriors) are never really in a live fire zone even if your unit is activated, your college is completely paid for and they will most likely even push for you to get your masters or doctorate, and with the amount of school you have you’ll get a nice little bonus if you do 4 years of active service first (of which you can still go to school full time pretty much in the air force) and if that’s not your deal, then the Security/MP MOS training does apply towards Federal Law Enforcement, Border Patrol, Customs and DEA, and you can go about it that way. Border Patrol with differential, a little OT, and college under your belt is paying like 60k a year minimum to start maybe more.[/quote]

this is correct.

the drawback of this is you will be in the airforce, lol.

[quote]canaduke wrote:
If you can’t get on with the PD think about Customs and Border Protection.[/quote]

i’m really surprised no one hit on this more.

board protection is pretty much doing everything short of giving away free blowjobs for guys who want to do border patrol.

from what i was reading, with some college you can go in as a GS7 OR GS9, with eligibility to hit GS11 pretty quickly. that’s pretty damn good pay for right off the bat.

plus you carry guns and high tech binoes and all that shit.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]canaduke wrote:
If you can’t get on with the PD think about Customs and Border Protection.[/quote]

i’m really surprised no one hit on this more.

board protection is pretty much doing everything short of giving away free blowjobs for guys who want to do border patrol.

from what i was reading, with some college you can go in as a GS7 OR GS9, with eligibility to hit GS11 pretty quickly. that’s pretty damn good pay for right off the bat.

plus you carry guns and high tech binoes and all that shit.[/quote]

What are the responsibilities of being a border patrol despite the obvious one?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]LjSimpson08 wrote:
Air National Guard → Nab the Security/MP MOS training → Law Enforcement if you really want too.

The reason being is that the Air National Guard (Chair Force, Desk Pilots, Sneaker Camp Graduates,and Bicycle Warriors) are never really in a live fire zone even if your unit is activated, your college is completely paid for and they will most likely even push for you to get your masters or doctorate, and with the amount of school you have you’ll get a nice little bonus if you do 4 years of active service first (of which you can still go to school full time pretty much in the air force) and if that’s not your deal, then the Security/MP MOS training does apply towards Federal Law Enforcement, Border Patrol, Customs and DEA, and you can go about it that way. Border Patrol with differential, a little OT, and college under your belt is paying like 60k a year minimum to start maybe more.[/quote]

the drawback of this is you will be in the airforce, lol.[/quote]

Excellent point

I scored 96 on the NYPD exam (second time taking it, first time I got a 94… lol)… can’t wait for the call.

Two things to add here:

1. I was Border Patrol. If you have questions about it, feel free to hit me up in private.

2. If you’re just doing it for the money, please don’t go LEO. Seriously. I got out because I have priorities now that would give me second thoughts about being in a firefight. If you don’t go to work ready to give 100% to the guys around you when the shit hits the fan, you’re doing them a huge disservice, and you may eventually get someone killed. It’s a sad part of the job, but it’s still part of the job.

I’ve been commissioned for the past 3 years, I love the job, having the ability to help fix some of the crap that you see every day, seize drugs, stop child trafficking, prevent drunks from killing someone on the road is great, being able to put idiots where they belong and lay hands on people when they need it the most is awesome. BUT… finding the right department is more than tough. I have had offers for employment for local LE agencies that want to pay $7.50 an hour for 3rd shift. seriously. it all depends on the tax revenue of the town/city. I know some guys that bring home $ 80,000.+ per year in cities just 30 minutes from the ones offering minimum wage.

It’s crazy. Then you have to factor in things like the Mayor, the Police Chief, and the local judge, if they don’t have your back then forget about it. Usually for the first 2-5 years you are stuck on 2nd or 3rd shift and then you still have to be in court at noon the next day when one of your cases go to trial ect. Not to mention that once you have reached the ripe old age of 35, or if you have visible tattoos, or any sort of stupid history from being a teenager most department wont hire you. Again I love the job itself just alot of red tape and crap to get in and then some more crap once you are there. To any Brother in blue "thank you " but I have had to make the decision to seek another career and am currently pre-med for a physicians assistant degree.