Back To The Future

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Where’s my damn hover-board?!

S[/quote]

For realz. I was guaranteed one of these back in elementary school so someone had better pay up…quick![/quote]

Real honest-to-goodness hoverboards are on the way, if there’s any truth to this:

LOL. I was going to type something to show how happy I was until I read it can only support a very minor amount of weight. Great…even these things are “anti-bodybuilding”.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
They don’t make cool ass movies like this anymore man … Back to the Future was an awesome movie[/quote]

One of my fears is that they’ll remake this movie and it will suck serious ass, and kids everywhere will be oblivious to the originals awesomeness because of it. Easily one of the 10 coolest movies of all time.[/quote]

Here’s my problem with most movies recently: They’re all remakes of movies and shows from 20 years ago; or adaptations of books.

Fuckin BTTF was original. Goonies was a fuckin bad ass movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark was amazing. It seems we don’t have imagniative directors/screenplay writers anymore. What we get is recycled garbage with loud explosions and “uh-ma-zing” special effects.

I remember thinking as a kid how cool it would be to be Marty McFly. He was what? 17 in those movies? Fucking traveling through time. Uhm, Hello, that’s pretty fuckin sweet. Those kids in Goonies? My age when I saw that movie, maybe a few years older, searching for fucking One Eyed Willies rich stuff. How fucking cool was that damn movie? Even the dead Fed in the freezer was a cool scene and it didn’t require anything over the fucking top special effects or an exhorbinant amount of blood and violence. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. Shit the first 3 Indiana Jones movies were the shit! Even though the 3rd one came out in the 90’s.

Predator came out in the 80’s too. And now we get Predators? Aliens was FAR superior to Alien. And now James Cameron gave us Avatar. Fuck off James, you done fell off ya game son. Aliens was waaaay fuckin’ cooler than Avatar. I remember the first time seeing that movie and Bill Paxton freakin out yellin “Game over man! Game over.” I can’t tell you how many times I used that line to opponents while playing sports as I just delivered the death blow or something (especially while talkin trash in hockey).[/quote]

If you like Aliens you had to have watched The Thing right? Just as good as Aliens imo.

[quote]roybot wrote:

S[/quote]

For realz. I was guaranteed one of these back in elementary school so someone had better pay up…quick![/quote]

Real honest-to-goodness hoverboards are on the way, if there’s any truth to this:

LOL. I was going to type something to show how happy I was until I read it can only support a very minor amount of weight. Great…even these things are “anti-bodybuilding”.[/quote]

Back to the Future is a FARSE dude, you would think they “saw you coming” and created one just for you, for this time! Sucks for you…I’m getting one! It’s like shoes man, once they get passed a certain size…they’re just not cool anymore…LOL. It’s not prejudice, just for your own good!

LOL. I was going to type something to show how happy I was until I read it can only support a very minor amount of weight. Great…even these things are “anti-bodybuilding”.[/quote]

That is a pretty crucial design flaw for a hoverboard. It wouldn’t even support the weight of “Romeo”, the world’s smallest bodybuilder, who weighs in at a hefty 21 pounds:

I guess we’ll have to wait for the perfection of shrink ray technology then. Otherwise the only hoverboard in existence is going to end up on someone’s coffee table. Sorry to get everybody’s hopes up…

On the bright side, they aren’t supposed to be invented until around 2015, so we’ve got a few years wait yet.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I saw Teen Wolf the other week too. Doesn’t hold up.

It’d be funny if Family Guy did a BTF1 spoof remake like they did with Star Wars.[/quote]

they did do a quick reference

Marty: “Doc, I have something to tell you about your future”
Stewie: “No Michael J Fox, I have something to tell you about your future”

awful, but funny

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

If you like Aliens you had to have watched The Thing right? Just as good as Aliens imo.

[/quote]

Agreed. The Thing is a wild movie.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
They don’t make cool ass movies like this anymore man … Back to the Future was an awesome movie[/quote]

One of my fears is that they’ll remake this movie and it will suck serious ass, and kids everywhere will be oblivious to the originals awesomeness because of it. Easily one of the 10 coolest movies of all time.[/quote]

Here’s my problem with most movies recently: They’re all remakes of movies and shows from 20 years ago; or adaptations of books.

Fuckin BTTF was original. Goonies was a fuckin bad ass movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark was amazing. It seems we don’t have imagniative directors/screenplay writers anymore. What we get is recycled garbage with loud explosions and “uh-ma-zing” special effects.

I remember thinking as a kid how cool it would be to be Marty McFly. He was what? 17 in those movies? Fucking traveling through time. Uhm, Hello, that’s pretty fuckin sweet. Those kids in Goonies? My age when I saw that movie, maybe a few years older, searching for fucking One Eyed Willies rich stuff. How fucking cool was that damn movie? Even the dead Fed in the freezer was a cool scene and it didn’t require anything over the fucking top special effects or an exhorbinant amount of blood and violence. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. Shit the first 3 Indiana Jones movies were the shit! Even though the 3rd one came out in the 90’s.

Predator came out in the 80’s too. And now we get Predators? Aliens was FAR superior to Alien. And now James Cameron gave us Avatar. Fuck off James, you done fell off ya game son. Aliens was waaaay fuckin’ cooler than Avatar. I remember the first time seeing that movie and Bill Paxton freakin out yellin “Game over man! Game over.” I can’t tell you how many times I used that line to opponents while playing sports as I just delivered the death blow or something (especially while talkin trash in hockey).[/quote]

[/quote]

The Thing (which was a remake btw) was awesome. Kurt Russel for the motherfuckin’ win! Those are other awesome movies: John Carpenter movies. Escape from NY, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live. Awesome.

[quote]JeeKeu wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

S[/quote]

Back to the Future is a FARSE dude, you would think they “saw you coming” and created one just for you, for this time! Sucks for you…I’m getting one! It’s like shoes man, once they get passed a certain size…they’re just not cool anymore…LOL. It’s not prejudice, just for your own good! [/quote]

Dude, you’re like 6’7". I bet there’s a height limit too!

[quote]polo77j wrote:

The Thing (which was a remake btw) was awesome. Kurt Russel for the motherfuckin’ win! Those are other awesome movies: John Carpenter movies. Escape from NY, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live. Awesome.[/quote]

Wait, the Thing was a remake? How the fuck did I miss that? Until this is confirmed, I don’t believe it.

As far as the movie, it was about 20 years ahead of its own time. The special effects still stand today…and that is REALLY saying something. It is a true classic in every sense of the word.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

The Thing (which was a remake btw) was awesome. Kurt Russel for the motherfuckin’ win! Those are other awesome movies: John Carpenter movies. Escape from NY, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live. Awesome.[/quote]

Wait, the Thing was a remake? How the fuck did I miss that? Until this is confirmed, I don’t believe it.

As far as the movie, it was about 20 years ahead of its own time. The special effects still stand today…and that is REALLY saying something. It is a true classic in every sense of the word.[/quote]

Alright I just checked it out … there was a movie made in 1951 called “The Thing from Another World” which was adapted from the same book as “The Thing” … it’s technically a remake but … not. I guess John Carpenter stayed closer to the story of the book than the 1951 movie did…

[quote]polo77j wrote:

As far as the movie, it was about 20 years ahead of its own time. The special effects still stand today…and that is REALLY saying something. It is a true classic in every sense of the word.[/quote]

You lose 30 cool points for not knowing that. LOL

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

Alright I just checked it out … there was a movie made in 1951 called “The Thing from Another World” which was adapted from the same book as “The Thing” … it’s technically a remake but … not. I guess John Carpenter stayed closer to the story of the book than the 1951 movie did…[/quote]

You lose 40 cool points for not knowing and then having to check it out to confirm it. :slight_smile:

[quote]JeeKeu wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

S[/quote]

Back to the Future is a FARSE dude, you would think they “saw you coming” and created one just for you, for this time! Sucks for you…I’m getting one! It’s like shoes man, once they get passed a certain size…they’re just not cool anymore…LOL. It’s not prejudice, just for your own good! [/quote]

Dude, you’re like 6’7". I bet there’s a height limit too![/quote]

Does this mean you’re spirits are going to be crushed again when they eventually DO release the hoverboard but the weight limit is 225lb as it no doubt will be!? I know mine will…

Everything has a 225lb weight limit :frowning:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

^^^^^^^^ this 16 times

More revelations: Eric Stoltz was supposed to play Marty McFly, but was fired and replaced by Michael J.Fox (who was the original choice, but was previously unable to negotiate around a TV contract for sit-com Family Ties). Only stills have been released so far ^, but Stoltz shot a considerable amount of unreleased footage before getting the boot.

Stoltz apparently didn’t have the required screen presence.

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

Alright I just checked it out … there was a movie made in 1951 called “The Thing from Another World” which was adapted from the same book as “The Thing” … it’s technically a remake but … not. I guess John Carpenter stayed closer to the story of the book than the 1951 movie did…[/quote]

You lose 40 cool points for not knowing and then having to check it out to confirm it. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I saw this about five years ago on (very, very) late night TV. It’s probably one of the best b-movies around. The original “thing” is basically a sentient, carnivorous, man-shaped vegetable. But then the idea of a sentient, carnivorous, man-shaped space vegetable was probably downright terrifying to 50’s audiences…and they didn’t need anybody adding extra paranoia to the mix as Carpenter did. The original is meant to be a cold war allegory, so if they presented it Carpenter-style where the enemy is unknowable and unseeable, it would’ve caused mass panic… Just like the Orson Welles radio broadcast of War of the Worldsdid.

50’s audiences needed a boogey man they could relate to, which is probably why the original thing looks like Frankenstein’s monster and lurched around trying to strangle people.

[quote]roybot wrote:

That is a pretty crucial design flaw for a hoverboard. It wouldn’t even support the weight of “Romeo”, the world’s smallest bodybuilder, who weighs in at a hefty 21 pounds:

I guess we’ll have to wait for the perfection of shrink ray technology then. Otherwise the only hoverboard in existence is going to end up on someone’s coffee table. Sorry to get everybody’s hopes up…

On the bright side, they aren’t supposed to be invented until around 2015, so we’ve got a few years wait yet.[/quote]

I would GLADLY have a working hoverboard on display in my house.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

Dude, I can’t figure if it’s 'cause todays filmamkers generally lack talent or that they’re so full of themselves they’re collectively sitting around a table saying “You know what movie/show/cartoon was awesome? [Insert 80’s movie/show/cartoon and soundtrack]. You know what would make it better? ME!”. Either way, it’s getting old. For the most part they’re completely fucking up classics. I read the other day that they’re talking about doing a Jaws remake with Tracy Morgan playing Roy Scheider’s role. Really think about that. If this actually happens I will never watch another new movie again. Strictly dvd’s.

[quote]Jack Urboady wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

^^^^^^^^ this 16 times
[/quote]

The thing is, we as movie watchers are so in tune with movie genre and so oversaturated with entertainment, yet we still want more. Except for the couple brilliant original works that come out each year, studios have two choices to meet this insatiable demand- either make sequels, reboots, and adaptations, OR make “original” movies that are really reworked, cliche riddled farces.

They choose to go with the former, and to tell you the truth I don’t blame them. They spend billions of dollars each year producing and marketing these movies, money that comes from public shareholders that executives must answer to if the movie flops, especially with the economy being the way it is right now. Why not go with a safer bet, a movie that will already have a following the moment the project is greenlit?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, I can’t figure if it’s 'cause todays filmamkers generally lack talent or that they’re so full of themselves they’re collectively sitting around a table saying “You know what movie/show/cartoon was awesome? [Insert 80’s movie/show/cartoon and soundtrack]. You know what would make it better? ME!”. Either way, it’s getting old. For the most part they’re completely fucking up classics. I read the other day that they’re talking about doing a Jaws remake with Tracy Morgan playing Roy Scheider’s role. Really think about that. If this actually happens I will never watch another new movie again. Strictly dvd’s.[/quote]

I think its a lack of talent.

I remember as a kid I used to get mad about not being able to see R-rated movies and having to enjoy my cartoons and rated PG movies. Now I grow up and what’s in friggin’ movie theaters!!! Live action comics and cartoons I thought I left behind when I moved from playing Chutes and Ladders to Chess. What cartoon of mine are they going to ruin next? Thundercats …