T Nation

Back to Squatting After a Meniscus Tear?


#1

Has anyone ever done this? If so, how did you do it? I think there is a strong possibility that I might have one of these.


#2

I tore my ACL & damaged the medial meniscus. Had surgery about 3 years ago, and have been squatting since. It just takes time to build strength back up.


#3

you may be unable to do a full depth olympic squat (ATG squat) because of the pressure on your meniscus when your knees are at their most flexed position at the bottom of the squat, but you may be able to handle it, so just try it and let pain be your guide.


#4

My friend and training partner tore his meniscus. He was able to train with it torn for over 8 months before he finally went to the doctor, got it diagnosed, and got the surgery. Now, he is stronger than ever at squatting. My advice - if you think it’t torn, get it checked out and surgically repaired ASAP. if you do this and take your time rehabbing it, you will be able to squat PR’s in no time.


#5

one of my training partners tore both of his years ago. had surgery on one of them. still squats over 400. he is a 600lbs deadlifter too and competes in strongman and highland games.

i tore mine last september. havent had surgery yet. after a few months of no squats i started up again. when i squat with a moderate weight and lots of reps my knee feels way better the next few days. i now squat nearly every workout and am approaching my max again. besides not being able to completely lock out my leg i hardly have pain at all.

so you should be good especially if you are going to see a doc and get it taken care of.


#6

I’ve torn mine partially and am wondering about squats… Those with experience do you think it would be better or worse to squat with wraps (tight, powerlifter style wraps not just loose/supportive wrapping)? (sorry to hijack the thread!)


#7

Thanks for the replies. Already seen the Doctor, I am in that waiting phase, waiting for it to heal more so we can figure out if it needs an MRI or not. The lingering pain is making me suspect there is a tear.


#8

[quote]theannister wrote:
I’ve torn mine partially and am wondering about squats… Those with experience do you think it would be better or worse to squat with wraps (tight, powerlifter style wraps not just loose/supportive wrapping)? (sorry to hijack the thread!)[/quote]

the more i learn about wraps the more i hear about long term usage causing damage to the knees. i would stick with knee sleeves.


#9

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]theannister wrote:
I’ve torn mine partially and am wondering about squats… Those with experience do you think it would be better or worse to squat with wraps (tight, powerlifter style wraps not just loose/supportive wrapping)? (sorry to hijack the thread!)[/quote]

the more i learn about wraps the more i hear about long term usage causing damage to the knees. i would stick with knee sleeves. [/quote]
where did you hear this?


#10

[quote]MM-CK wrote:

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]theannister wrote:
I’ve torn mine partially and am wondering about squats… Those with experience do you think it would be better or worse to squat with wraps (tight, powerlifter style wraps not just loose/supportive wrapping)? (sorry to hijack the thread!)[/quote]

the more i learn about wraps the more i hear about long term usage causing damage to the knees. i would stick with knee sleeves. [/quote]
where did you hear this?[/quote]

Not trying to answer for him, but the wraps might mask pain to the extent that you do more damage to the knee. They did that for me for a good 4 months or so, but there comes a point where you are doing more harm than good. I did hit big PRs while squatting with a knee that was functioning around 75%, though, so there’s that.


#11

Just take it slow, Make sure you recover all the ROM and pain free and then make sure you’re form is impeccable. Also keep your quad/ham strength ratio in check, if it deviates too much it will cause problems. You can PM if you need more details, I have rehabbed a few meniscal tears successfully via trial and error. The more often you squat generally the better after since it promotes nutrient distribution but only if you can do it pain free and with proper form.


#13

I tore my meniscus completely in half 3 years ago. My best squat before surgery was 600. I’m at 830 right now. You’ll be fine. Just do exactly what the physical therapist says and take it slow. There will be days it hurts but that’s normal. I have to ice mine after every heavy squat day.