T Nation

Back to Basics

Hi everyone. I am a 37 yr old, 221lb, 5ft9" female looking to drop some serious pounds. Formerly into olympic lifting and boxing, I had to cease these due to chronic knee problems. I have returned to the gym, but am very limited on the kind of training I can do over the next 6months, since so many options involve pressuring the knees.

Can any of you help me with some workout suggestions. My doc forbid me to run, jump, bike (unless on the recumbent stationary bike) or do any of the things that would normally help me to rapidly loose weight. With that in mind, anything that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently doing straight leg pulls from just below the knee, abductor and abductors, leg extensions and curls and the recumbent bike. Please help.

I would also like suggestions for a good fat burner. I used to take HOT-ROX, but have found that it seriously alters my mood for the worse and I break out in pimples after 1.5 weeks of using. Is there anything else out there that could assist me with weightloss without feeling like im going to rip someone’s head off then go into the corner to cry?

Again - PLEASE HELP!

[quote]badfolks wrote:
Hi everyone. I am a 37 yr old, 221lb, 5ft9" female looking to drop some serious pounds. Formerly into olympic lifting and boxing, I had to cease these due to chronic knee problems. I have returned to the gym, but am very limited on the kind of training I can do over the next 6months, since so many options involve pressuring the knees.

Can any of you help me with some workout suggestions. My doc forbid me to run, jump, bike (unless on the recumbent stationary bike) or do any of the things that would normally help me to rapidly loose weight. With that in mind, anything that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Again - PLEASE HELP![/quote]

Simple answer - swim, lots.

You are after some serious metabolic changes. You should have some expectation of some bad along with the good. Pimples suggest a shift in hormones, which might be exactly what you need.

Currently, your E is probably driving part of your fat distribution and retention. So again, a hormone shift may be something that you need.

If you are loosing fat, there is a lot of stuff in the fat cells that will also be released into your circulation that might alter hormones and skin condition.

Working out can drive hunger as muscles want to grow. The muscles can drive the hunger and if you respond with carbs you cannot loose weight. Without extra protein the muscles will not grow and you need the muscle mass to help burn carbs (24x7) and loose weight.

Lots of cardio to loose weight can be over training from a muscle gain point of view. This is all beyond my knowledge level, but perhaps some alternation of routines would allow for muscle growth and cardio. As you gain muscle, the cardio will be improved as well.

I have read a lot of comments about peptides restoring joints and connective tissue, muscle growth and fat loss. That looks like the triple play that you need.

Right now, with your %BF, that will be inhibiting your own natural GL and IGF-1 production; above and beyond the age driven declines of those hormones. So the BF will be inhibiting your GH response to meals and to weight training.

Calf raises can help build some leg muscle and the knees will not be worked.

I wouldn’t forget the multiple muscle upper body exercises like chins and rowing.

As for non-thermogenics, there’s CLA and fish oil to help with fat loss.

After years of experimenting on myself, I’m convinced that Intensity Interval Training is far superior to “aerobic” training on the bike. I ride at 75% of MHR for 90 seconds and then go all out for 30 seconds. Repeat that cycle for 30 mins and you’ll have a great workout that will boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories all day long.

Hiya. After a knee tear last summer I took about 5 months off leg training all together, and just worked on upper body stuff (lower body was always dominant anyway, so I saw it as an opportunity)

Similarly, I only did the stationary bike during this time. I started at 5 minutes on level 1. I worked my way back up one minute at a time, and then progressively with the levels so now I can pull off regular (3x4 times a week) 30 minute sessions on level 10.

It used to frustrate the crap out of me that it took so many months before I could get a serious cardio session in. Thank God I’m back now… The point: I feel your pain. Possibly literally.

A few months ago I started back progressively into leg training, and finally, am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Holy crap, I’m just talking about me. Sorry about that.

OK - lets talk about you:

1. the recumbant stationary bike is a great place to start no?
  2. i agree with the swimming…

There are 2 safe cardio options.

As far as weights:

1. upper body should be easy to do with little modification, and it’s a great opportunity to really focus here.
  2. same with bodycore. with few exceptions, you can still train the shit out of your core.
  3. you stated three leg exercises you can currently do. What about calf training? Tibialis?

Have you been given rehab exercises?

Also this would be a great time to dedicate to a good stretching routing.

The way I see it, knees or no, everything above gives you enough training options to train like an animal. Plus, if you don’t really dedicate yourself to getting back into your fighting shape, it’s going to be way harder at 47.

I hope this was helpful. Now get your ass to the gym.

[quote]great421 wrote:
badfolks wrote:

Again - PLEASE HELP!

Simple answer - swim, lots.[/quote]

Great421 is spot on !
there’s no substitute for swimming,
just do it !