T Nation

Back to Basics - Literally

So I haven’t been working out for quite some time - at least not frequently. (did I spell that right?) Mostly because of laziness and a few back injuries.

Background - 27 years old, Denmark. Body type is ‘thin’, with low fat.
Have done some Sheiko, but don’t really got any other experiences at lifting. I was one of the types who joined a gym to get bigger, and worked out with absolutely no mind.

I want to get back to the gym, and begin my way to work up to some heavier lifts and weights! But I dont really know what kind of reps x set range I should go for?

Been looking at the Bill Starr’s 5x5, and just replace the Cleans with some overhead presses… Just my back haven’t really recovered fully - some days are better than others, so obvious I want to make my bag stronger. I want to commit to the free weights, and I definitely prefer the big lifts.

The advice I’m looking for is kinda - should I stay at Sheiko (with some adjusted overhead presses), or do you guys have any other advices I can use?

I’m new in this forum, and been lumbering through the jungle of topics in here, to find some inspiration.

• Purken.

5/3/1 boring but big would work, a sheiko program is tough on the most sound of lifters.

Yeah, I’ve been looking into that one too. Guess I’ll have to go max out in order to make that workout.

Not at all. Just estimate your max using the formula:

Estimated max = (weight lifted x reps x 0.033) + weight lifted

Take 90% of that and that’s your training max. Base all your training percentages off your training max.

Ah okay, cool - thanks for that one!

How about doing deadlift and squat at the same session? Is that a poor choice or will it work?

Was thinking something about:

Squat x Overhead Press x Bench Press
Deadlift x Rows x Bench Press
Squat x Bench x Front Squat

Would that work? Or should I go for an different setup?

I would just follow the program corstijeir posted EXACTLY as written. Boring but big is a great plan and doesn’t need to be tweaked. Trust the program, it has been tried, tested and proven to work.

I’ve been looking at it, and I’m gonna give it a try!

Just one question:

How much difference does it make, if I only would be able to work out 3 days a week, instead of 4 as the program describes?

Go on Amazon, pay your $5 or $10 and own the book. It explains and sets out every possible way you can do 531 - and yes, three days a week is definitely possible.