Back Surgery #2

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:
Ruptured discs suck huge. Have you tried steroid injections? I have a bad rupture at L4-5 and after two injections I managed to avoid surgery. In an odd way, part of me wanted surgery. I’ve read good things about the microdiscectomy procedure and if they remove enough of the “jelly,” you’ll get some nice scar tissue which will, hopefully, prevent future ruptures.

I’m slowly getting back into squatting, and last night I did some Romanian DLs. It’s a catch-22 really, because doing these lifts does cause some discomfort, but I know I need to keep the back strong. Fortunately, I can tolerate the discomfort, and all my neuro functions check out.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. And consider this - we can actually look forward to turning 60, because at that age, the discs dry up and there’s less chance of rupture.

Surgery is the absolutely last thing you would want to try. I heard a surgeon speak on this earlier this year, and he almost sounded against it. It’s the highest risk thing you can do to fix your back. They have to move your freaking arteries out of the way, then they fuck around just millimeters from your spinal cord.

I would have to be seriously fucked to get surgery.[/quote]

The microdiscectomy procedure is less invasive, but I agree that avoiding surgery is generally a good option. Really, it’s just a matter of patience.

I’ve read articles that say that after about two years, the results from surgery and conservative treatment are about the same, but surgery provides more immediate relief from pain/discomfort. So the question is, can you deal with the pain/discomfort for those two years? In my case, the answer is yes, so I suppose I’m glad that I was able to avoid surgery.

But two freakin’ years is a long time to wait for an injury to heal, and I have another year and a half to go. You’re better off breaking a bone than you are getting a ruptured disc.

Shit bud, sorry to hear. The only thing I could advise maybe is ART. It has worked wonders on any body part that I have hurt, and that included a degenerated disk.

Good luck!

Monopoly

Sorry to hear about that Rock. I wish you a safe, speedy, and healthy recovery. Get well soon.

hey rockscar, how did you hurt your back the very first time? i herniated mine doing deadlifts a few months ago, and I have been able to get back into squatting. I’ve also increased my squat about 70lbs since my injury but your situation is making me a little worried as to if I should continue.

That really sucks man. Best of luck and ease back into this stuff. I had an L4/L5 herniation in 2004, had a microdiscectomy done (I was in pretty bad pain and could not take it any more) and now I am pretty much good to go. I played 2 years of JC football in 2005-2006, and also plan on playing in 2008-2009 as well to finish up my college career.

My DL is stronger than ever, and I have been squatting full depth with no pain. Matter of fact that hurts much less than when I used to squat to parallel. I get a recurring pain every once in a while, but you gotta keep the abs in check. Watch the posture as well.

Best of luck!

Dude, you SUCK!!!

Get fixed and good luck.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Dude, you SUCK!!!
[/quote]

And only YOU would know this big boy! :wink:

Hey Rock, just wanted to say I hope that the surgery takes care of it and gets you out of pain and healed up quickly.

Also, I think it’s great idea to remind some of the younger punks that you lift for life, not just today’s workout.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Dude, you SUCK!!!
quote]

[/quote]

I thought you said you’d never kiss and tell.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Dude, you SUCK!!!
quote]

I thought you said you’d never kiss and tell.[/quote]

But it’s so hard to keep that secret when you’re so HAWT…I wanna brag.

damn man im sorry to hear that. i was in a car accident a couple years ago, fractured my T-9 and now am having problems with my L-5 as well. xrays showed that its pushed out too far, pinching my sciatic nerves, but im not sure if i have disc problems or not. im going to a spine surgeon on the 25th to get an MRI more than likely to see how things are. all i know is im in almost unbearable pain damn near all day long. cant sit, stand, lay down without pain going all down my lower back to the back of my legs. hell man if we both end up with surgery we can sit around all day and piss and moan together while the wives take care of us!

Nothing worse than back pain Bro, hope you have a speedy recovery…

Thanks everyone…I’m pain free today.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
If you have disc problems…DON’T push it.

This time around I’m NOT squatting again.
[/quote]

I’m in the same boat is you, granted the cause was different.

For the most part I stick to single leg variations of squats and deadlifts plus some machines, but every once in a while I start feeling “guilty” for not squating / deadlifting so I do a few sets and it immediately aggravates my lower back for a week. And I’m not even pushing hard when I do them.

Anyways, I wish I had something more useful to share with you, but misery does love company so I figured I’d post. :slight_smile:

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
Dude, you SUCK!!!
quote]

I thought you said you’d never kiss and tell.

But it’s so hard to keep that secret when you’re so HAWT…I wanna brag.[/quote]

Does either of you live near a mountain?

do i here dueling banjos in the background and squeal like a pig boy
echoing off the mountains…

I am very sorry that this has happened to you!!! I do have to add, though, that take your L5, multiply it by all the lumbar discs, add C4-C5, C5-C6, C7-T1, and a T7-T8 herniations and you have my husband’s back!

He’s had upwards of 8 surgeries on his lower back alone, including microdiscectomies and open fusions with pedicle screws and Harrington rods placed. It’s always fun to set the airport metal detectors off…NOT!!!

Please, take care of your backs, people…it’s the only one you have!

Hey everybody,

I’m 22 years old and i herniated my L-5 disc about a year and a half ago. It was awful. I was deadlifting and was proabably doing too much weight and lost neutral spine and you can imagine what happend next.

After a going through PT and spinal decompression therapy which i thought helped with pain relief alot (whether or not it actually helped “heal” the disc is questionable beacuse ive read that once a the disc ruptures it pretty much stays that way) but in anycase, it helped with pain relief.

I have been fortunate enoguh to not have any leg pain associated with the disc problem which i heard is awful and am hoping will not develop. Like people have said, i wish i would have broken a bone or something becuase at least you know it will heal and sometimes be even stronger.

With this injury i feel like everytime i want to do heavy squats or attempt deadlifing i feel like its just a matter of time before i fuck myself up again like you guys have said.

It sucks… squats, deadlifts, bent rows and all that good stuff were the bread and butter of my program and its difficult for me to get away from these lifts but at the same time i wanna be able to walk when im 40.

Have any of you guys with disc herniations dealt with this dilemma and if so have you been able to work around it and been able to still pack on some good muscle by using a modified training approach?

-Darian

Ps. You guys might find these two replies interesting that i received from mike stare a PT who coauthored “conquering the enemies of the spine” for T-Nation and tony gentilicore another regular contributor on T-Nation.

From Tony:

I think you could definitely get back into deadlifting, albeit you just have to approach it the right way. First and foremost you need to be working on spinal STABILITY, before strength.
Stuart McGill says this time and time again. Essentially TONS of planks work (prone and side planks) for time; as well as other exercises such as the Pallof Press (attached).

Also, movements like pull-thru’s would be perfect for you, as there is NO spinal load, yet you’re working the posterior chain, lots of single leg work, and I would probably throw in some isometric back extensions (for time) in there as well. This is more of a glute activation movement IMO.

Rack pulls may be in the picture, but I wouldn’t jump the gun too early. But just to reiterate…TONS of spine stability and single leg work. Glute activation work, foam roll (not the lumbar spine, but definitely the hip flexors, IT band, etc).

Yeah, for someone in your situation, I would steer clear of Russian Twists and anything similiar. For “healthy” backs, all the movements you listed are alright, but in all honesty I think as long as people incorporate a healthy dose of compound movements, their abs will get plenty of work.

That being said, side planks, and reverse crunches will work your obliques, as will the Pallof Press, you could also do a modified crunch (from McGill’s book).

Also, doing things like overhead walking lunges, one-arm push presses, or one arm step ups will work the abs as well…and more specifically they will all work the abs with SPINE STABILITY in mind.

Hope that helps!

Tony

From Mike:
Yes, you can get back to these lifts. Herniations are not uncommon - they aren’t death sentences for guys that like to lift heavy. Rather, they’re just a wake up call, and if ignored, can lead to bigger problems.

First step is to get your symptoms undercontrol by employing some of the strategies from the article.

Be sure you’ve gained a clear idea how to stabilise the lumbar spine and groove the motor patterns essential to stabilize in multiple positions (pushing, pulling, squating, lunging, rotation).

I think the best way to do this initially is to rehearse movements and lifts very frequently, with low loads.

Identify technique errors and figure out if strength or mobility deficits are to blame. Usually ankle, hip, and thoracic mobilty impairments are the most common. If you focus on this -you’ll return to painfree lifting, and even enhance your performance.

Initially after injury,I focused mostly on mobility, lumbar stabilization and repeat effort lifts with single leg variations. I remember about 1 year after the initial injury, I had my first month without any pain, and felt like I figured out how to manage my condition.

I progressed to max effort movements with vertical pulls and bench fairly quickly. Then I progressed to cycle in max effort (relative) single leg lower body (backward lunge) and LE plyos and jump training. At the beginning of each workout, I would incorporate squats and deads to focus only on technique - using light weight. I found it to be an excellent warm-up, and keep my focus where it needed to be.

After two bad ankle fractures set me back for a bit, I’m now back to using squats and deads on max effort days. This can be as little as 2 times a month, or as often as 6 times a month (very rare). Besides technique, training max effort LE lifts less frequently is the biggest change I recommend. I keep getting stronger, and my back feels fine.

Every case is different, though. But, if it’s what you love to do, do your best to reduce the risks. Be patient, listen to your body, and odds are you’ll be back to lifting heavy again -just differently! Remember the point of the article - the biggest risks are probably right in front of you (literally -you’re computer) and other daily tasks. Avoiding prolonged sitting doesn’t mean you sacrifice anything fun, right?

Best of luck.

Train smart!

Mike

Here is a description of the pallof press:

Pallof Press : Set up a cable so that it’s at chest-height, and stand sideways to the weight stack with the D handle grasped firmly with both hands. All youre doing is moving your hands further away from the body and then back into the chest/stomach as you isometrically hold a cable woodchop out in front of you. The idea is to resist rotation.

Sorry for such a long message but im assuming anyone that has a disc issue will want as much info/support they can get.

thanks and i hope those responses from tony and mike help people out

-Darian (ddelmast)