Back Support on Chair

Can anyone recommend a good support to put on your chair to support your back?

Sitting is horrible for a back, so I wanted to get a support for my chair at work.

Before I start shopping, I wanted to get some recommendations.

I recommend a swiss-ball.

(Assuming no prior medical conditions.)

Over the past few months I’ve undergone a major lifestyle change regarding posture. Your own muscles and a flat chair surface are all you’ll ever need to support your back while sitting. Cressey has an article somewhere about how to sit properly. My advice is as follows…

1. If you’re at home or anywhere else where you aren’t obligated to sit i.e. work, you’d better be sitting with good posture. If you feel too tired/lazy then either stand or lay the hell down.

2. If you’re like me and are (in my case were) addicted to sleeping on your side then it’s time to break that habit. I’ve been sleeping on my back on the floor with a thin cushion under me for several months. This has worked wonders for both my shoulder problems and my posture.

3. When you’re driving adjust the seat and headrest so you can sit properly with your head and lower back in constant contact with the seat.

It’s funny because if you implement all this you’ll start to realize how poorly some chairs are designed. Also, I went in for a job interview and the woman asked me if I was “nervous” due to the fact I was sitting perfectly erect.

[quote]B Jav wrote:
Over the past few months I’ve undergone a major lifestyle change regarding posture. [/quote] Your own muscles and a flat chair surface are all you’ll ever need to support your back while sitting. Cressey has an article somewhere about how to sit properly. My advice is as follows…

1. If you’re at home or anywhere else where you aren’t obligated to sit i.e. work, you’d better be sitting with good posture. If you feel too tired/lazy then either stand or lay the hell down.

2. If you’re like me and are (in my case were) addicted to sleeping on your side then it’s time to break that habit. I’ve been sleeping on my back on the floor with a thin cushion under me for several months. This has worked wonders for both my shoulder problems and my posture.

3. When you’re driving adjust the seat and headrest so you can sit properly with your head and lower back in constant contact with the seat.

It’s funny because if you implement all this you’ll start to realize how poorly some chairs are designed. Also, I went in for a job interview and the woman asked me if I was “nervous” due to the fact I was sitting perfectly erect.

Thanks for the input. You’re exactly right- what you do outside the gym is just as important as what you do in the gym. I’m working on this, and it takes discipline and self awareness to break old habits.

I highly recommend a WondaWedge. While this back support isn’t made for a chair, per se, you probably also engage in other activities during the day that stress out your back. I’ve found the WondaWedge to be beneficial while watching television or reading in bed. Just a thought.