Back Squatting With No Squat Rack?

Any ingenious solutions?

I have a shitty barbell in my garage, and just about 70kg in weight. I cant get to the gym at the moment (for monetary reasons) and I’m doing bodyweight stuff which im really enjoying, but I miss squatting and deadlifting.

I’m going to start high rep back and front squatting at home to suppliment the bodyweight stuff, but how on earth do I get the barbell in the back squats position without breaking my neck, when it starts getting a little “heavier”?! I dont have anything I can use as an imporovised rack - am I going to be stuck with just front squats?

Clean, press, put bar on back.

I would rather just clean up a weight and front squat it. I would not do any substantial amount of weight and try to clean it up, press it overhead, and set it correctly on my back. Seems pointlessly dangerous when you could just do front squats in the same manner.

“Just front squats” will work fine.

[quote]Patch2 wrote:
Clean, press, put bar on back. [/quote]
x2
Getting your clean and jerk to 70 kg shouldn’t take too long. Front squats are good too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can clean and jerk 70 kg, albeit very messily, but my body does not like lowering that kind of weight down behind my neck. I think it might be a form issue.

The times I have tried it with a fair bit of weight I smash it off the vertebrae in my neck! haha, and it put me off a bit.

Is there a certain way to do it without grinding my neck bones into dust?

Pretty wide grip, try to hit your traps instead of your vertebrae and catch the weight by bending your legs.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Pretty wide grip, try to hit your traps instead of your vertebrae and catch the weight by bending your legs.

Nice one! Thanks.

I’ll give that a try tomorrow before work.

problem solved.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

problem solved.[/quote]

ahhhh commence jaw dropping

several guys at the gym im at joined the USAWA and this is one of the lifts. i have seen meet results with a 375 on that lift. some of the guys have done 275. i have gone up to 185 and my collars would not handle any heavier.

so i will use it on a RE day not so much on any other day.

[quote]okage wrote:

problem solved.[/quote]

ahhhh commence jaw dropping[/quote]

Tried that and fell over.

@pgtips lol… noice

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Tried that and fell over.[/quote]

you have to grab it real low which puts you in a low squat once on your shoulders. i have heard of people having the bar in front and laying it on 1 shoulder, standing up then rotating it to the back, squatting, then dumping it. with bumpers of course.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
Tried that and fell over.[/quote]

you have to grab it real low which puts you in a low squat once on your shoulders. i have heard of people having the bar in front and laying it on 1 shoulder, standing up then rotating it to the back, squatting, then dumping it. with bumpers of course.[/quote]

I think its more to do with my barbell, its shorter than me so I can’t spread my arms out like the man in the video does to control the wieght a bit more.

I think I’m just gonna use front squats till I can get back to the gym and use olympic bars and squat racks

[quote]okage wrote:
@pgtips lol… noice
[/quote]

I can imagine it was a funny sight.

that woulda been a video to see. equal to the ball squat fall?

[quote]okage wrote:
that woulda been a video to see. equal to the ball squat fall?
[/quote]

I’d say equal to - But have you ever seen a door pull-up bar break mid pull-up? Now thats a sight to see.