Back Squat vs. Front Squat Weights

I had read an article some time ago that talked about lifting ratios. Example, If you flat benched X, you should be able incline bench Y, therefore military press Z. I saved that much of the article. My question is, if you can back squat X, what would your front squat be?

Bench press = 100% (using an example of a 300 pound 1RM)
Incline bench press = 80% of bench press (or a 240 pound 1RM)
Dumbbell overhead press = 40 to 50% of bench press (or a pair of 60 to 75 pound dumbbells)
This is an exceprt from the article I read.
Thanks for the help.

I’ve always heard anywhere from 75%-85%.

85% - this is what Poliquin says

get in the gym and find out

throw all that shit out the window. whatever you back squat is what you back squat and whatever you front squat is what you front squat. there’s no neat little bow that you can put around this stuff. there are wayyy too many variables.

just lift heavy shit. it will all sort itself out.

I just calculated. It’s 76% of my back squat

For me its been whatever I could triple on backsquat I could get once on front squat.

Ex: I tripled 315 (oly style back squat) and 5 days later (next session) did it on front squat.

I need to work on my back squat though. It just doesn’t feel as natural as a front squat for me.

Like others have said though, there’s no formula and a lot of people are different. Technique and flexibility as well as limb proportions play a large role in this.

(71.34554455654) / 32(3x)(m=0)

Thats the formula…

Seriously though it depends on the ammount of time you give to each lift, i had a 450lb back squat and 225x3 front squat the first time i tried them. Currently im sitting at around 330lb front squat and 480lb back squat.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
I just calculated. It’s 76% of my back squat[/quote]

me too.

80% has been a pretty good number in my little group.

ive been told it was about 60% and never really questioned it i just lifted as much as i could. But working it out it seemes to be more like 75% for me.

I got 75% from my calculations just now.

85% for me

75% at the moment for me, I just started doing front squats though so this will no doubt improve.

This is going to vary from person to person as you can see. There is no magic equation, this isn’t chemistry.

I can get 275 for 5 with back squats and 1 for a front squat. I raise my heels for both, but raise them higher for fronts.

I’m thinking that when folks ask what your squat poundage is, most will offer up their 1 rep max for back squats. On the other hand, I dont get the impression that too many folks max out on the front variety.

Since switching to doing mostly fronts, I don’t think I’ve done a single set that was comprised of any less than 8 reps… of course I’ve seen a lot more quad development since, so I’m certainly not going to do something stupid and need to find out what my max would be. If anyone cares enough to calculate, my backsquat max was 550 for 2, while my frontsquat max was 275 for a set of 8 (I felt no need to go any heavier, in fact I had to lay down for a bit after as my back was starting to ‘feel’ it -lol)

S

yeah ive never really tried to max out the front squat i was just using 225 for 5.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
throw all that shit out the window. whatever you back squat is what you back squat and whatever you front squat is what you front squat. there’s no neat little bow that you can put around this stuff. there are wayyy too many variables.

just lift heavy shit. it will all sort itself out. [/quote]

I second this - variables kick in (stress, rest, diet, etc.)

What I am finding weird is that my front squat is slowly creeping up to my back squat (for reps) & is lagging now by about 100 lbs or so due to shoulder limitations. I’m confident if I could master the OL style vs. current crossed arms BB style I could front squat more.

I’m gonna go with a conservative 80% if you want percentages.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m thinking that when folks ask what your squat poundage is, most will offer up their 1 rep max for back squats. On the other hand, I dont get the impression that too many folks max out on the front variety.

Since switching to doing mostly fronts, I don’t think I’ve done a single set that was comprised of any less than 8 reps… of course I’ve seen a lot more quad development since, so I’m certainly not going to do something stupid and need to find out what my max would be. If anyone cares enough to calculate, my backsquat max was 550 for 2, while my frontsquat max was 275 for a set of 8 (I felt no need to go any heavier, in fact I had to lay down for a bit after as my back was starting to ‘feel’ it -lol)

S
[/quote]

Just curious… do you guys elevate your heals when front squating? I have been away from barbell squats for a few years and have been stuck doing dumbell squats at home. But… my squat rack arrives next week. Was going to do some back squats for five or six weeks and then switch to front.

I’ve never really understood the need for some folks to elevate their heels. If anything, I wouldn’t want to destabilize myself at all, and I certainly wouldn’t want to emphasize any chance of starting to lean foward during the movement.

S