Back Squat Layering

I’m sure this has been asked before but I am a little late to the layering party. What is the best protocol for layering regular back squats? my gym does not have power racks with pins. Any help is greatly appreciated

[quote]cronbeast90 wrote:
I’m sure this has been asked before but I am a little late to the layering party. What is the best protocol for layering regular back squats? my gym does not have power racks with pins. Any help is greatly appreciated[/quote]

Replace the clusters by regular sets of 3-5 reps.

For example:

1. Ramp to 1, 2 or 3RM
  2. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 90% of the highest you achieved in the ramp
  3. 1-3 sets of max reps/rest 15 sec/max reps with 80% of the max you achieved in the ramp

Could you replace #3 w speed sets if your goal was strength? I’m an athlete and my main focus w squats is speed and strength

Edit: I plan on doing your 4 week periodization protocol for inc bench, dec bench, and high pulls (the one where you ramp to a 3rm on week 1, 2rm week 2, 1rm week 3 and 4 and vary the cluster and HDL sets). I want to add strength and size w these lifts.
But for squats and floor deads I want strength and speed more than size. What kind of layer protocol would you recommend for strength and size for regular floor deads and regular oly back squats?

[quote]pwr_speed_size wrote:
Could you replace #3 w speed sets if your goal was strength? I’m an athlete and my main focus w squats is speed and strength

Edit: I plan on doing your 4 week periodization protocol for inc bench, dec bench, and high pulls (the one where you ramp to a 3rm on week 1, 2rm week 2, 1rm week 3 and 4 and vary the cluster and HDL sets). I want to add strength and size w these lifts.
But for squats and floor deads I want strength and speed more than size. What kind of layer protocol would you recommend for strength and size for regular floor deads and regular oly back squats?[/quote]

Yes you can totally use speed sets.

Of you can use more of a pure strength triple layer:

1. Ramp to 1RM
  2. 2 sets of 3 with 90% of your 1RM
  3. Back down to 70-80% and ramp up to your 2RM
  4. 2 sets of 3 with 90% of your 2RM
  5. Back down to 70-80% and ramp up to your 3RM
  6. 3 sets of 3 reps with 60% of your 3RM for max speed

Whats the reasoning for not doing the regular layers with a 4th added? I’m using back squat Layers for tonight’s training mission. I was planning the original: Max, Cluster, HDL, Max Pump, dangerously hardcore routine lol. Tomorrows a day off so…

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Whats the reasoning for not doing the regular layers with a 4th added? I’m using back squat Layers for tonight’s training mission. I was planning the original: Max, Cluster, HDL, Max Pump, dangerously hardcore routine lol. Tomorrows a day off so…[/quote]

The layer system is not ONE specific arrangement of method. It’s a sequence of layers used in a certain order to create a specific training response. But the basic principles are always the same:

1. Focus on one main exercise
  2. Use a high percentage of your 1RM
  3. Maximize the density of the workout without any decrease in performance