T Nation

Back Squat 1RM, Any Form Tips?

Any form tips?? That was supposed to be a shouler width squat…

Learn how to squat with a barbell.

[quote]ChaseT wrote:
Learn how to squat with a barbell.[/quote]

Yup.

Yeah in fairness you probably wouldn’t get away with that with a barbell.

Smith Machine Bars are often as light as 15 pounds and the machines aren’t rated to have more than 1 45 on each side.

You obviously don’t have much experience at screaming, yelling, or grunting because you sound silly. You need to pick a style. The YouTubes at EliteFTS don’t have the guys screaming or grunting very often but when they do, it’s clear that Matt K, Dave, and Jim are pros at sounding like men when they work out. Try to emulate them.

Or you can go the Ronnie Coleman route and scream in a completely ridiculous manner. This is also ok because Ronnie holds nothing back, including what comes out of his mouth while he lifts.

Or you could try the professional hissing sounds of Mariusz Pudzianowski.

In order to Squat More Weight you will need to Squat in a Power Rack. With Pins. And shit like that. You will also need to take a wider stance. Wide is good. We’re not going ATG. We’re going to competition depth. Your hips should be the first thing that moves when you descend and when you come out of the hole. This is not a leg press. It’s a squat. It’s a lift that tests how powerful your hips and legs are as a whole. In order not to fall forward and turn your squat into a Goodmorning Squat you will need to push your knees out, spread the floor apart, and push your elbows forward. Pushing the elbows forward really helps and might be easier if you have a thumbless grip. Whatever works and keeps you from fucking yourself up.

Go watch some powerlifters squat on YouTube. Its a library of Videos. Welcome to the Future.

What the hell is going on today? I mean, first it was that guy who wanted to show off his tricep kickback and now a guy who wants us to critique his squat technique in the Smith Machine. What’s next? Somebody showing off pull-ups on a gravitron machine?

What else could be next? Maybe someone not being a dick.

You’re a strong kid, try to get to a gym with a real squat rack so you don’t have to use that silly ass machine.

Simple fact of the matter is noone really worries about Smith Machine form, so for a real critique you need to do a “real” squat.

Keep working hard, regardless of machine limitations.

[quote]AndrewGpv03 wrote:
What else could be next? Maybe someone not being a dick.

You’re a strong kid, try to get to a gym with a real squat rack so you don’t have to use that silly ass machine.

Simple fact of the matter is noone really worries about Smith Machine form, so for a real critique you need to do a “real” squat.

Keep working hard, regardless of machine limitations.

[/quote]

thanks man:)
i am sprinter, thats my main sport. national caliber here in greece. I ll be competing @ the indoors ch. this January…
I am laughing at most of the comments here, but ok nobody knows nobody in the internet, so its all good:D

I am restrengthening my legs with some squats , after 3 hamstring tears this season… hope everything goes fine.
And its no not a smith machine. The side bars move with no friction.
Gotta work with what i have, and so far, it has made a very good job at strengthening my hips.

That does look like a cool machine…

It’s a Jones machine if I’m not mistaken.

[quote]acidhell wrote:
Any form tips?? That was supposed to be a shouler width squat…

[/quote]

That is a cool machine!! But you only need one punctuation mark after each sentence… Looks weird with two, doesn’t it??

Do you want to do a powerlifting squat or an olympic squat? In the video it didn’t even seem like you were even hitting parallel. Then again, the position of your hips was obscured by your entirely black clothing and the post of the machine. Here are some urls for you.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_120squat

I suggest watching every single squat rx video at least twice. They are gold.

After hearing that audio, it reminds me of a taking a very difficult dump.

At least thats what I think.

And yeah, go to another gym or something. Squatting in that contraption is a joke. Sorry I have to say it, but just get under a bar.

I have a couple of things:

!) I’m not sure that you hit parallel. Because you’re stance is pretty narrow and your knees come forward, you’re going to have to go deeper for parallel.

@) You don’t lock out before you rack the weight. It doesn’t matter because it’s not a competition, but if you tried that with a free weight, you’d probably face plant.

:slight_smile: